User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which scoring system do you prefer?

Voters
721. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old 15x3 service based scoring

576 79.89%
  • New 21x3 rally based scoring

145 20.11%
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default IBF Scoring Changes - Feedback; Make your vote count

Here are four forms to write in your feedback to the proposed (experimental?) changes in scoring badminton matches from 01Feb06.
    3X21 feedback
    3X21 feedback, removal of back service line
    5X11 feedback
    5X11 feedback, removal of back service line

Although there are only three lines in the "Any comments" section; methinks the collective strength of BCers/BFers and others could sway the powers that are and powers that will be at the KL HQ.

There are several points and concerns raised by none other than the previous IBF Chief Exec, one Mr. Cameron, Neil. Interested? -Clicky.

Emotion and passions are great, these are what makes the world go around, but objectivity is what makes it count. Send any and all these forms to your regional baddy rep; put the shuttle in the IBF's court, so to speak.

{Get Acrobat Reader to have a dekko at the attachments.}
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 2wheels04; 01-22-2006 at 12:16 AM. Reason: acrolink

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheels04

3X21 feedback
    3X21 feedback, removal of back service line
    5X11 feedback
    5X11 feedback, removal of back service line
    I think 5X15 is better than any others above - nothing will be changed except for useing rally-piont scoring system and best of 5 games instead of old ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Whatever it is, all i can say is that any proposed scoring systems by IBF are rubbish.
    The current one is fine!!!!!!!!!! It's original, and makes the game that much more unique compared to other sports... People shouldnt have to put up with any of this guniea-pig testing nonsense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people are missing the main point of the IBF's point of view. They do not intended to try to change the publics way of scoring badminton. Trying to attract new players is there main objective,not pleasing the public. I mean could the IBF care any less on how ordinary people play?

I'll stick to the 15x3 system,I live for preassure and excitement which could not be acheived by using the 21x3 scoring system.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baddyminton1
    I think people are missing the main point of the IBF's point of view. They do not intended to try to change the publics way of scoring badminton. Trying to attract new players is there main objective,not pleasing the public. I mean could the IBF care any less on how ordinary people play?.
    Definitely pleasing the public is not on IBF's agenda - quite the contrary - and not only from the scoring debate. But their actions, if they thought was in isolation for attracting new players definitely has public consequences. If the scoring rules get approved and updated in the laws of badminton - the general playing public will be affected.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind the 3x21 rally point for SINGLES ONLY. Been testing it out for a while and it's not all that bad. If anything you can't let your guard down.

However, for doubles, I don't find it logical. The service is a bit of mess and far too easy to mess up who is where.

If they are going to keep the 3x21 in doubles I'd suggest taking page from the table tennis and have each side serve twice - each player stays put throughout the game with respect to service.

That way each player serves once on their side, then the shuttle goes to the opponent for two serves.

The drawback is that you are always serving to the same person... but you could also make it whoever wins the toss not only gets to choose service, but also gets to pick choose who is serving/recieving. ( I.e. My team wins the toss, we wait to see that the other team puts the better server on their even court, so we elect to put our stronger returner on the even court)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, for doubles, I don't find it logical. The service is a bit of mess and far too easy to mess up who is where.

yeah..it is confusing...been practising the system lately and I find that it is very annoying if i begin serving it into the net...not only did you not receive a point but you gave it back to the other side....

it would be interesting to watch those pros play live with this system, see how they cope..but here in aus coverage isnt that great so...=(
    Last edited by FrenziedEye; 01-30-2006 at 05:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ViningWolff
    I don't mind the 3x21 rally point for SINGLES ONLY. Been testing it out for a while and it's not all that bad. If anything you can't let your guard down.

exactly. for singles it may not affect a game so much but with doubles they've even messed with the two serves! that's what makes badminton doubles unique. doubles won't be doubles without that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default -

Have not beem reading stuff here but recently managed to watch the complete version of 1997 World Championship final between Sun Jun and Rasmussen.

The racquet skill of Sun Jun was fantastic especially when playing with one leg.Also the accuracy and consistency and court craft of both players were amazing,I dont see many players like that today or even in the past.

Perhaps in the new system tragedies like what happened to Sun Jun would not happen again.

Or what happened to Chen Hong in 2003 All england Final or Lee chong Wei against Lin Dan in recent All England or whatever is now happening to Gade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer the old system (15x3). In the recent U13 Gold tournament (Badminton England) we used the new system (21x3). I didn't like it. Some players found it kind of confusing even we have someone to keep the score. This will be used again in the next U13 Gold tourney in two weeks' time. But strangely they use the old scoring system in other age group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is confusing. Even those keeping score get confused - and to think IBF says it's supposed to make it easier for those unacquainted with the game. Well, that's bureaucracy for you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dandirom
    It is confusing. Even those keeping score get confused - and to think IBF says it's supposed to make it easier for those unacquainted with the game. Well, that's bureaucracy for you.
    I now use the new system exclusively. I have played with the old system for 50 years. But despite the great disparity in the times I have played with both systems, I am at home with the new system as much as I was in the old system. It is strange that if you cannot bring yourself to try out anything new, you will find it very difficult to accept it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Old Old!!! The new system relies too much on hoping that your opponent will make a mistake. Also, younger players are going to have an advantage over better, older players. They will be able to out-stamina their opponents because they have the youth. It's a gift that the older players don't have. If the youth can just keep the bird in play they can tire their opponent out and make them inable to make effective shots, where it become a waiting game. I don't like it at all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new system. i didn't like the badminton scoring system the very first day i started playing badminton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    I now use the new system exclusively. I have played with the old system for 50 years. But despite the great disparity in the times I have played with both systems, I am at home with the new system as much as I was in the old system. It is strange that if you cannot bring yourself to try out anything new, you will find it very difficult to accept it.
    Of course, everyone can adjust - but just because we adjust does not mean that the claim that the new system is easier than the older one is true. Wether we admit it or not, the fact remains that it is very confusing for newbies. I have been playing alternately with the new system since December and with the singles game, aside from the fact that games are much shorter and less strenuous, I feel it's workable and I haven't met that many players who really hate it - In singles, I agree that it MAY lessen the chance of injuries. With doubles though, now that's an entirely different story. I'm more of a doubles player and aside from games being too short and less strenuous (You hardly break into a good old sweat in this new sytem in doubles), the serve is totally messed up. In any game, there's nothing more exciting than being down by a large point spread and making a sweeping comeback - in the new system, chances of that are virtually nil. There's hardly a player I've met who likes the new system in doubles. If IBF decides to retain the doubles serve and even just lengthen the games a bit, I dare say they'll get this new system through with much less negative feedback.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe tennis or table tennis doubles have two serves. Wouldn't it be more confusing to newcomers to find that in badminton singles have only one serve but doubles have two, when both tennis and table tennis doubles and singles have only one serve? Also a point won is a point won, like in tennis and table tennis. But in badminton a point won is conditional on who the server is before a point is awarded, resulting in different end results-a real point is given on a rally won by the winning side, but only the right to serve with no meaningful reward if the rally is won by the receiving side. In the old system, you can only win a point when you or your side are serving but cannot lose a point when serving, even when your opponents win the rally. In the new system you can win or lose a real point under almost any situation. The reward is instantaneous, not conditional as in the old system. You have less room for error. The tolerances are tighter. There is less fooling around. The concentration is more intense. Skills count more than stamina. Unfair strategies where one country's players tire out players of another country to secure a decisive advantage are now harder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    I don't believe tennis or table tennis doubles have two serves. Wouldn't it be more confusing to newcomers to find that in badminton singles have only one serve but doubles have two, when both tennis and table tennis doubles and singles have only one serve? Also a point won is a point won, like in tennis and table tennis. But in badminton a point won is conditional on who the server is before a point is awarded, resulting in different end results-a real point is given on a rally won by the winning side, but only the right to serve with no meaningful reward if the rally is won by the receiving side. In the old system, you can only win a point when you or your side are serving but cannot lose a point when serving, even when your opponents win the rally. In the new system you can win or lose a real point under almost any situation. The reward is instantaneous, not conditional as in the old system. You have less room for error. The tolerances are tighter. There is less fooling around. The concentration is more intense. Skills count more than stamina. Unfair strategies where one country's players tire out players of another country to secure a decisive advantage are now harder.
    I don't really see how tiring out an opponent is unfair - if someone uses it as a viable strategy then good for them. If the opponent is really good then his or her stamina will match his or her skills. Having played with the new system, I do see your point about the rally system but the fact remains that we have to say goodbye to those thrilling comebacks.

As for the doubles serve, that's exactly my point. it's what set badminton apart from other racquet sports - i dare say, it's something many of us baddy addicts have come to love. Add to that the fact that of almost all racquet sports, badminton is the only sport where the serve is not offensive - it's very rare that a server gets to score and instant point as opposed to an ace in tennis. Two serves balanced it out a bit but now it's messed up. I do think that compromise is a good alternative. But like i said, if it does go through, it's no reason to stop playing badminton.

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast