User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which scoring system do you prefer?

Voters
721. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old 15x3 service based scoring

    576 79.89%
  • New 21x3 rally based scoring

    145 20.11%
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
Results 239 to 255 of 842
  1. #239
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,203
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Unfair strategies where one country's players tire out players of another country to secure a decisive advantage are now harder.
    Oh please, the next thing you'll say is the IBF should outlaw trick shots.


  2. #240
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,750
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    I don't believe tennis or table tennis doubles have two serves.
    Actually as everyone knows but might not see it like that you get two serves every point in tennis.
    The national championship here are using the new system btw. Wonder how the evaluation will turn out
    Last edited by demolidor; 02-04-2006 at 07:44 AM.

  3. #241
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Smash
    IMHO. 15 point system was perfectly fine.
    I tried out the 21 point system a few times and it was irritating how the game is over in about 30 mins.
    This is because it takes me a few good rallys before I can get my engine going.
    Now due of the rally point, by the time I'm pumped for the game the first set is nearly over.
    Surely with 21 points u have longer games and therefore get pumped earlier in the game??

  4. #242
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Longer games? No. They will be shorter because of "running score"
    crap system.

  5. #243
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dipolog, Philippines
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yao_zhou
    Surely with 21 points u have longer games and therefore get pumped earlier in the game??
    nope. game time is cut up to 30%.

  6. #244
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    I don't believe tennis or table tennis doubles have two serves. Wouldn't it be more confusing to newcomers to find that in badminton singles have only one serve but doubles have two, when both tennis and table tennis doubles and singles have only one serve? Also a point won is a point won, like in tennis and table tennis. But in badminton a point won is conditional on who the server is before a point is awarded, resulting in different end results-a real point is given on a rally won by the winning side, but only the right to serve with no meaningful reward if the rally is won by the receiving side. In the old system, you can only win a point when you or your side are serving but cannot lose a point when serving, even when your opponents win the rally. In the new system you can win or lose a real point under almost any situation. The reward is instantaneous, not conditional as in the old system. You have less room for error. The tolerances are tighter. There is less fooling around. The concentration is more intense. Skills count more than stamina. Unfair strategies where one country's players tire out players of another country to secure a decisive advantage are now harder.
    I owe you an apology. You are not Punch's poodle. You are Punch himself!

  7. #245
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by demolidor
    Actually as everyone knows but might not see it like that you get two serves every point in tennis.
    The national championship here are using the new system btw. Wonder how the evaluation will turn out
    Sorry, what I meant was that in doubles, tennis and table tennis do not have a second server.

  8. #246
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dandirom
    Add to that the fact that of almost all racquet sports, badminton is the only sport where the serve is not offensive - it's very rare that a server gets to score and instant point as opposed to an ace in tennis.
    Looks can be deceiving-in badminton a serve can be either defensive or offensive. This is because, unlike tennis, a badminton serve is not a one short winning rally. It either sets you up for an all out offence or defence. The choice is yours to suit your game plan.

  9. #247
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Oh please, the next thing you'll say is the IBF should outlaw trick shots.

    These two are not related. Team or country strategies to gain an unfair advantage under the old system have been exploited from the days of Wong Peng Soon. Countries with many top players can play havoc with top players from other countries that do not have the quantity. Yes, seedings at least try to make this fairer by separating the few top seeds from eliminating each other early. But China has so many top players that it is now becoming common for their junior players to knock out other countries' top players. Do you think badminton will remain a popular sport if the AE have an all Chinese finals in all the 5 events? If all the Open Championships in the world see near complete dominance by the Chinese, badminton will be dropped from the Olympics for sure.

  10. #248
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CWB001
    I owe you an apology. You are not Punch's poodle. You are Punch himself!
    I don't think you are being sincere in apologising. Let us stick to the subject. Being of opposing views should not be a reason to be ungentlemanly. Why can't we agree to disagree?

  11. #249
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    As a matter of fact even the new scoring system's serve, still retaining some of the old, could be made fairer by allowing each side to serve an equal number of serves, like in table tennis, instead of the rally winning side always serving. This will mean each side will have an almost equal number of serves, with one side serving one more serve.
    Any change in the scoring system is hard on players who are reluctant to adapt or change. Not many players feel comfortable with anything new, not unlike why not many people can think out of the box.

  12. #250
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dipolog, Philippines
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Looks can be deceiving-in badminton a serve can be either defensive or offensive. This is because, unlike tennis, a badminton serve is not a one short winning rally. It either sets you up for an all out offence or defence. The choice is yours to suit your game plan.
    you don't understand what i mean - in badminton, the serve itself can never be offensive. Unless your opponent is incredibly stupid you can't get a point with just the serve. Granted, if you're a really good short server you can almost always force a return that gives you and offensive - but that's on the return, not the serve itself as opposed to tennis where you can have an ace. When you say a serve can be either defensive or offensive you mean it can set you up for the offensive but by itself it could never be offensive. Maybe that would have been right with the serve where you hit the feather first but it's illegal. With the serve right now, any good enough player can return it - then and only then, after your serve is returned do you gain the offensive.

  13. #251
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dipolog, Philippines
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    These two are not related. Team or country strategies to gain an unfair advantage under the old system have been exploited from the days of Wong Peng Soon. Countries with many top players can play havoc with top players from other countries that do not have the quantity. Yes, seedings at least try to make this fairer by separating the few top seeds from eliminating each other early. But China has so many top players that it is now becoming common for their junior players to knock out other countries' top players. Do you think badminton will remain a popular sport if the AE have an all Chinese finals in all the 5 events? If all the Open Championships in the world see near complete dominance by the Chinese, badminton will be dropped from the Olympics for sure.

    You need to clarify. Are you talking about tiring out an opponent on the court or tiring out a team by making it kind of like a relay. It is abolutely fair for any player to try to tire out and opponent during a game. It's the opponents loss if he doesn't have the stamina. But if you're talking about one team having so many players they can pit them against a smaller team and tire them out collectively then that's an entirely different story. shortening game length isn't the answer. We are talking about two individuals or in doubles, four, who are ON the court. If the other side has the ability to tire the opponent out during while maintaining their offense then i repeat, there is abolutely nothing unfair about that. If an older player is beaten because he couldn't last long enough, tough. He did the same to older players before and he would do it to an older player so why change the rules to suit him? and he had his run, he won his tournaments - if he can't hold on to the top spot then it's anothers turn.

  14. #252
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dipolog, Philippines
    Posts
    170
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    I don't think you are being sincere in apologising. Let us stick to the subject. Being of opposing views should not be a reason to be ungentlemanly. Why can't we agree to disagree?
    We should remember that this is just a discussion. Nothing personal. Low blows should be out - besides, isn't badminton the "gentleman's" sport?

  15. #253
    Regular Member Bbn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    3,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Are we missing the point.

    TV stations in Asia do not want to broadcast baddy on TV because it tales too much time which can be better devoted to Manchester United for betting or maybe

    Golf, wrestling with well heeled audiences or maybe darts or snooker in which the rich
    British are willing to invest heavily yo promote.

    If times are not cut down TV will just stop showing baddy to the poor penny pinching Asians and there will be no more coverage.If you were the TV station what would be your choice?

    Does the game need to make some sacrifice for the sake of more exposure?

    The Americans and the British are the best when it comes to promotion.

  16. #254
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,750
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Sorry, what I meant was that in doubles, tennis and table tennis do not have a second server.
    Yep you are right about that. But still there is a difference in that they are guaranteed serve for a certain period (in tennis in their own serving game and in tabletennis you get a certain numbers of serves in a row, used to be 5 in the old system think it's 2 now or 3). Best comparison must be volleyball: score point, get serve.

    Made up my mind now and am in favor of the new system all the way. Heard Mia say it has made her take less risks now but that's because they haven't played it that often. I expect it will force players to step it up even more, be more accurate, no more slacking and in the end create better players. What may seem a risky shot now might be the standard in a couple of years
    The only drawback left is it is very hard to make a comeback when someone is on matchpoint with a sizeable lead. On the other hand since every point will be crucial it could be more exiting for the crowd.
    Seems I already voted (probably for the old) but voting new/rally-point here.

  17. #255
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    319
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    [QUOTE=demolidor] On the other hand since every point will be crucial it could be more exiting for the crowd.
    QUOTE]

    I fear you have accidentally hit the nail on the head

Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I vote for 15 point rally system for Olympics and other majors
    By maximR in forum Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating
    Replies: 5
    : 01-20-2011, 04:36 PM
  2. A Year Later: Let's vote on the New/Old Scoring System again.
    By kwun in forum Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating
    Replies: 513
    : 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
  3. New Scoring System (21-Rally point system)
    By MikeJ in forum Jonas Rasmussen Forum
    Replies: 21
    : 06-05-2006, 06:03 AM
  4. new 7 point system??
    By wong in forum General Forum
    Replies: 7
    : 04-26-2006, 10:34 PM
  5. WS Point System for SO '05
    By cheongsa in forum Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005
    Replies: 1
    : 06-29-2005, 07:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •