User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which scoring system do you prefer?

Voters
721. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old 15x3 service based scoring

576 79.89%
  • New 21x3 rally based scoring

145 20.11%
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Old or New System

Old System! Hurray!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Changing the scoring system, or any laws of badminton, can only be done at an interval of once in every four years. Only in special circumstances can this 4 years be waived, and that is when 4/5 of all the votes request for an urgent change.
    The new scoring system is a proposed change in the laws of badminton. Any such changes must meet a threshhold of 2/3 of the votes, an extremely high threshhold. The new system will be defeated even if it wins a simple majority of the votes or any majority below 2/3. It is like changing the constitution of a country, very difficult and a built-in check and balance against hasty decisions.
    I have my doubts about those votes, seeing how Punch is a dictatorial machiavelic incompetent president (ie. see EBU case). And his minions aren't any better.
    Se democratic voting? Right....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy
    I have my doubts about those votes, seeing how Punch is a dictatorial machiavelic incompetent president (ie. see EBU case). And his minions aren't any better.
    Se democratic voting? Right....
    Well, if you care to check the number of votes each country carries you will think the other way. The votes some weak countries (weak in badminton but big in democracy) is a joke. That is why you need many one-vote third world countires to counter balance the historical baggage of the one-sided votes the old IBF gave to many badminton weak countries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if you care to check the number of votes each country carries you will think the other way. The votes some weak countries (weak in badminton but big in democracy) is a joke. That is why you need many one-vote third world countires to counter balance the historical baggage of the one-sided votes the old IBF gave to many badminton weak countries.
    And what happens if Punch wants to buy votes for those weak countries?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that is highly improbable. The United Kingdom has 10 votes, France 5, and Canada 5. Compared to the much stronger countries like Indonesia (5 votes), Malaysia (5 votes), and China (5 votes), the first three weaker countries (in badminton) have more votes (20 votes) than the 3 Asian badminton giants (15 votes). How could the UK, France and Canada, countries that could not even host a single 5 star tournament, have so manay votes. No, they did not get these votes through corruption. They got these votes from the old IBF, legally. How would you call this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that is highly improbable. The United Kingdom has 10 votes, France 5, and Canada 5. Compared to the much stronger countries like Indonesia (5 votes), Malaysia (5 votes), and China (5 votes), the first three weaker countries (in badminton) have more votes (20 votes) than the 3 Asian badminton giants (15 votes). How could the UK, France and Canada, countries that could not even host a single 5 star tournament, have so manay votes. No, they did not get these votes through corruption. They got these votes from the old IBF, legally. How would you call this?
    It is very simple, isn't it? The IBF made the decision and it must, therefore, be right. How can you possibly complain about anything that the Infallible Badminton Federation has introduced?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Improbable??? ... but already the case!
    And about France, UK etc.... Taneepak, I am beginning to think you may be racist somehow....

These countries have high number of registered players and finance IBF proportionnally.
    The problem of having five stars events is a problem of finding sponsors which is obviously very difficult in countries where the money goes traditionnally to many other sports in priority (football, rugby, tennis etc...) and we do have a lot of trouble bringing money to badminton.

So yes, it's true that votes at the IBF are not linked to getting olympics medals or organizing five star events.
    No, they are not democratical as far too many countries have five votes, even with a limited number of registered players, so federations who actually represent a big number of players do not get an adequate representation.
    And yes, political and economical pressure is put on minor countries so that they vote in a certain way... (don't worry, this is usually Punch's way )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you look up the history of IBF I think you'll find UK, Canada and France as the founding members of the federation, in addition to Holland, New Zealand and Denmark. That may have to do with their vote allocations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is about voting for the old or new point system. Actually there are the delegates from all Member Associations of the IBF that are to vote.

Here on the IBF site, are the statutes of the Federation: http://www.worldbadminton.net/statutes.asp

on page 31:
    (Rule) 5. GOVERNMENT
    5.1 The Federation (that is the IBF) shall be governed by a General Meeting (see Rule 7), which delegates from all Member Associations shall be entitled to attend. The qualifications for attendance and the voting powers of the
    delegates shall be as set out in Rule 13, but the Chair (see Rule 7.6) shall have a casting vote....

(Rule) 13. 13. REPRESENTATION AND VOTING STRENGTH AT GENERAL MEETINGS
    13.4 A Member Association having paid a subscription shall be entitled to a minimum of one vote and a maximum of five votes in accordance with the size of its affiliated membership of active players, as established to the satisfaction of Council. This shall apply automatically as at the date of the meeting:

Number of Players Votes
    fewer than 5,000 - 1
    5,000 - 9,999 2
    10,000 - 24,999 3
    25,000 - 49,999 4
    50,000 or more 5

I wonder how this delegates get theirs mandate, or how the Member Association came to an opinion about this topic. I never read something about that in Germany (maybe my fault). It looks like the president of the german badminton federation have very much to decide .
    It looks also that he is a good friend of Punch Gunalan .
    (Germany gets one IBF Training centre in Saarbrücken)

So we may tell ours delegates what we think about this point systems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdbc74
    This thread is about voting for the old or new point system. Actually there are the delegates from all Member Associations of the IBF that are to vote.

Here on the IBF site, are the statutes of the Federation: http://www.worldbadminton.net/statutes.asp

on page 31:
    (Rule) 5. GOVERNMENT
    5.1 The Federation (that is the IBF) shall be governed by a General Meeting (see Rule 7), which delegates from all Member Associations shall be entitled to attend. The qualifications for attendance and the voting powers of the
    delegates shall be as set out in Rule 13, but the Chair (see Rule 7.6) shall have a casting vote....

(Rule) 13. 13. REPRESENTATION AND VOTING STRENGTH AT GENERAL MEETINGS
    13.4 A Member Association having paid a subscription shall be entitled to a minimum of one vote and a maximum of five votes in accordance with the size of its affiliated membership of active players, as established to the satisfaction of Council. This shall apply automatically as at the date of the meeting:

Number of Players Votes
    fewer than 5,000 - 1
    5,000 - 9,999 2
    10,000 - 24,999 3
    25,000 - 49,999 4
    50,000 or more 5

I wonder how this delegates get theirs mandate, or how the Member Association came to an opinion about this topic. I never read something about that in Germany (maybe my fault). It looks like the president of the german badminton federation have very much to decide .
    It looks also that he is a good friend of Punch Gunalan .
    (Germany gets one IBF Training centre in Saarbrücken)

So we may tell ours delegates what we think about this point systems.
    I think it is useful for members to visit this site and read through the 300 pages of the IBF Statutes for 2005/2006, Book 1 and Book 2. There is a lot of information covering almost everything about badminton, including badminton for the disabled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like the old..it can sometiems last forever

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sky713
    i like the old..it can sometiems last forever
    Yeah, it's more exciting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The IBF should divide general meeting into two parts - "senate" and "House of Representatives".

"senate" - one vote for one association.
    "House of Representatives" - the number of votes of one association accroding to it's the number of players within top 100 on world ranking. 0.2 vote for one players/pairs within top 100 of world ranking in five events.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The character of badminton as a sport is shaped partly (may be mostly) by the scoring system that it had employed for a long time. I think if we go to 21 point rally system it will change the character of the sport, and it is remain to be seen whether it is GOOD or BAD. My personal belief is that it will not be good . My vote is for the 15 x 3 .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old system.

One of the joys of badminton is that the players' athleticism is tested to the limits. One has to be fit to keep up with even a decent player.

And what of those claims that badminton is more strenuous than tennis? That is going to get shot to hell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

old one for sure.

the games gets very exciting once it reacched 13-13 or even a deuce.. sometimes a game can get stuck at certain points, and for me it's very interesting also. the new system just doesn't fit to badminton.. and i'm afraid they will use it in interschool competition this year..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its pretty obvious that the new scoring system is just made for TV so other peeps can understand the game a bit better. At the end of the day the new one sucks and the old one RULZ !

Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast