User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which scoring system do you prefer?

Voters
721. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old 15x3 service based scoring

    576 79.89%
  • New 21x3 rally based scoring

    145 20.11%
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 842
  1. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    blue sky
    Posts
    254
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hmmmmmm

    I still prefer old system... instead of thinking to 'modify' the current one, why don't IBF consider to give a break every half-set...
    example: when one of the players reach 8 points, they can have a break for 90 seconds.
    this will give a 'room' for TV commercial...
    (and also time for spectators to have toilet break )





    Quote Originally Posted by DaN_fAn
    Actually and interestingly the IBF is experimenting with another scoring system- 11x5[5 games and each game being 11 pts ,rally point scoring].i found this info on the official Badminton Association of India website-
    www.badmintonindia.org

    So i think this poll can have 3 options instead of 2[the 3rd being 11x5].Details of the scoring of both types 21x3 and 11x5 [with examples from the WC]can be found on this exact homepage-
    http://www.badmintonindia.org/bullet...tem%20menu.htm

    I would like to see a new scoring in Badminton,preferably 11x5.here are my reasons-

    1.let's stop being stereotypical.the present scoring is not exactly a smash hit so there should be room for something different.
    2.in the present scoring,the score can tend to stagnate while rally point scoring ensures that the score is always ticking so audience do not get bored by the monotonous scoring[which can happen,let's admit it] and are always interested and are on their feet.
    3.IBF infact is giving a good reason why changing the scoring might actually favour the players.they claim that if the matches are made shorter then in the long run a player's carrer may be prolonged.while this sounds funny if thought about actually makes complete sense.So if changing the Scoring can make Taufik or Your favourite player play for 2 yrs longer,then why not.however none of us would like to see the duration of the matches drastically reduced.that is more important.reduced by 5-7 minutes or so would be okay.
    4.if we employ 11x5 kind of scoring there will be more game pts,which might arouse even more interest.
    5.Probably most importantly if IBF do employ 11x5 or 21x3 then this can only be better for TV commercials and packaging.A 11x5 scoring system offers the luxury of 5 breaks instead of just 3.And if the 21x3 scoring system is imposed then if i am right a player[if he wishes]can take a one minute break at the 11th point which is also good.

    Lastly i narrate from my own experience that rally point scoring is infact much more enjoyable to play and also definitely more enjoyable to watch as compared to the current scoring.so if u have not, maybe you should try playing/watching once with this sort of a scoring.


    i know a lot or most of us like the present scoring.but having said that why not try the rally point scoring and THEN give your feedback.atleast I liked it after I tried it.

  2. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Most players I know hate rally point scoring (or American scoring as it is known hereabouts).

    I think it is valid to examine what will happen to the game with rally point scoring.

    Most players are more conservative when they do not have the serve under the current system. This is because they stand to lose a point if they lose the rally.

    The player serving is normally more aggressive and takes more risks because the penalty for a mistake is merely loss of serve.

    This is coached into players from county level upwards.

    Under rally point scoring both players stand to be punished by the loss of a point and, logically, both will play more conservatively with fewer risks taken.

    The rallies are likely to be longer, with more safe shots, and I think that this will be less attractive to watch. Ironically, this may therefore have the opposite of IBF's desired effect by making the sport less marketable to TV viewers.

    In addition, of course, the characteristic tension of a close-fought badminton encounter, with the serve changing hands several times and the score not moving, will be lost. This is not stagnation. Just because the score does not change does not mean that the game is not worth watching. Many football matches finish as 0-0 draws and the games are no less watchable for that.

    I think it is also relevant to look at why IBF want to make changes, because I believe that their logic is flawed.

    They believe that shorter matches will lead to better acceptance on TV.

    Yet most of the sports that they are competing with, such as football and tennis, have much longer games overall. In the case of football there is no opportunity for an advertisement break for 45 minutes at a time. Yet this has to be the most televised sport globally.

    Much better, surely, to give the referee power to call a time-out for televised matches only and leave the rules alone for untelevised ones. The time-out would, in reality, be called in agreement with the TV company.

    The argument that shorter games will mean fewer injuries and that playing careers will be lengthened is a bit laughable really. Supreme fitness is currently a must for top-level badminton and shortened games could, perhaps, lead to players allowing their fitness to lapse somewhat - leading to more injuries.

    In conclusion, then, I am fundamentally against rally point scoring.

    I would not necessarily be against 5x11 as long as only the server could score. This would preserve the fundamentals of badminton while providing more advertisement opportunities.

    However, the idea that there would be more game points is not necessarily better as the 5x9 debacle proved.

    In my view, an even better way to ensure TV audiences is to improve the techniques of coverage. Static cameras from behind the baseline make the game look slow and easy to play. Corner cameras give a more exciting feel.

    Regards,

    Cliff

  3. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    india
    Posts
    615
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CWB001
    In addition, of course, the characteristic tension of a close-fought badminton encounter, with the serve changing hands several times and the score not moving, will be lost. This is not stagnation. Just because the score does not change does not mean that the game is not worth watching. Many football matches finish as 0-0 draws and the games are no less watchable for that.
    But people know how good football can get so they will enjoy even a 0-0 match.But that is not the case in badminton.Basically if people[general people who do not know much about badminton] get to watch a 'boring' badminton match on TV,they will not say that the match was boring.they will just declare badminton as 'boring'.They have no idea how good badminton can get and how enjoyable it is to watch an interesting match.Something needs to be done.

    An ever changing scoreline can attract the audience more.atleast that's my thought.


    No offence but have you tried playing and/or watching matches with rally point like i suggested?

  4. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaN_fAn
    But people know how good football can get so they will enjoy even a 0-0 match.But that is not the case in badminton.Basically if people[general people who do not know much about badminton] get to watch a 'boring' badminton match on TV,they will not say that the match was boring.they will just declare badminton as 'boring'.They have no idea how good badminton can get and how enjoyable it is to watch an interesting match.Something needs to be done.

    An ever changing scoreline can attract the audience more.atleast that's my thought.


    No offence but have you tried playing and/or watching matches with rally point like i suggested?
    Well, now you are comparing apples and pears. You cannot compare knowledgeable football fans with non-badminton fans to show that a continually moving score is better. That is flawed logic.

    The answer to your question is "yes". In fact, I'm taking my son to play in an American scoring tournament on Sunday.

    So if, when you say "no offence", you mean to imply that if I had seen/played such badminton I would agree with you, then I am afraid you are mistaken.

    Regards,

    Cliff

  5. #22
    Regular Member ants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Malaysian Citizen of the World
    Posts
    13,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have mixed feeling about both. Personally i like the old scoring. But at the same time i'm a person who like changes and challenges, i don't like to be too comfortable. It really depends on how you view on the system.
    At the moment i stand undecided.

  6. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Markham, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    645
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    In my opinion, the change would make too much of a mental change in the game. It would take a lot of time and new training to adjust to the speed of the game in this manner. The pace of the game would also be drastically different. If one player was hitting a bad part of their game, it would probably take a whole set before they may get back on their feet again.

  7. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    nah, i dont like the fact you can score match-point on anothers serves.
    now, when playing it right, you can still win when being down by 9-14.
    getting the serves back is a resting point...

    I'd vote C: 9x5 normal point.

  8. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    india
    Posts
    615
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CWB001
    Well, now you are comparing apples and pears. You cannot compare knowledgeable football fans with non-badminton fans to show that a continually moving score is better. That is flawed logic.

    The answer to your question is "yes". In fact, I'm taking my son to play in an American scoring tournament on Sunday.

    So if, when you say "no offence", you mean to imply that if I had seen/played such badminton I would agree with you, then I am afraid you are mistaken.

    Regards,

    Cliff
    well that's your view to the issue and i have aldready stated mine.

    If the IBF does change the rules again this time then[if i am right]that will be done only after taking the feedback from the players and not like last time.So if majority of the players along with the IBF members do think the Rally point scoring is better then i say GO for it.

    For now we can only wait and see.

  9. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    india
    Posts
    615
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ants
    I have mixed feeling about both. Personally i like the old scoring. But at the same time i'm a person who like changes and challenges, i don't like to be too comfortable. It really depends on how you view on the system.
    At the moment i stand undecided.
    So what did you vote for?At the moment the Old system is what everyone's voting for.
    Anyone's shares my idea on rally point scoring?

  10. #27
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaN_fAn
    If the IBF does change the rules again this time then[if i am right]that will be done only after taking the feedback from the players and not like last time.
    For now we can only wait and see.
    Have you been consulted, then? I haven't.

    What signs are there of a consultation taking place? Bear in mind it needs to be complete by the end of November and there is little time left.

    How will they go about it? Will there be a vote?

    Or will only a select few professional players be consulted, with the mass of players ignored? If so, is that a valid consultation?

    Sadly, I think I know the answer to these questions - and they don't bear out your expectation.

    Regards,

    Cliff

  11. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Canada
    Posts
    305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    well maybe most people think that the 21-rally system isn't the best way to count scoring in badminton, but i think we should give it more time before we actually vote. i wound vote 15x3 myself but i've never actually tried to play the 21x3 version so i have no idea whether it's more efficient or not

    well i guess what i'm trying to say is, you'll never know unless you try it first...

    so next time i play i'll try to play the 21x3

  12. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    india
    Posts
    615
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CWB001
    Have you been consulted, then? I haven't.

    What signs are there of a consultation taking place? Bear in mind it needs to be complete by the end of November and there is little time left.

    How will they go about it? Will there be a vote?

    Or will only a select few professional players be consulted, with the mass of players ignored? If so, is that a valid consultation?

    Sadly, I think I know the answer to these questions - and they don't bear out your expectation.

    Regards,

    Cliff
    Visit this webpage from badminton Association of India's Official Website-
    http://badmintonindia.org/bulletin/0...tem%20menu.htm
    Click on 'feedback form of either 11x5 or 21x3 scoring links.As you can see ,That is a feedback form with various important questions asked about the scoring and at the end[after you give your view you need to indicate whether you are a Coach,manager,Player etc.

    So i am only guessing that this feedback form is given to all the players/Coaches etc. or maybe the feedback form is not exactly distributed but those who want to express their views can do it and send it to the IBF through their national assocaiations,which is a good idea.

    why would i be asked?i am no Pro/Coach.
    Are You Any Of The Two?
    Last edited by DaN_fAn; 09-23-2005 at 07:39 AM.

  13. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    india
    Posts
    615
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ting03
    well i guess what i'm trying to say is, you'll never know unless you try it first...
    That's exactly what i said.You should have tried the Rally point Scoring System first and THEN voted.

    Give us your feedback after you have tried.

  14. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaN_fAn

    why would i be asked?i am no Pro/Coach.Are you any of the two?
    Yes. But why should only professional players be consulted? They only represent the very tip of the pyramid. What about everyone else?

    Regards,

    Cliff

  15. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    india
    Posts
    615
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CWB001
    Yes. But why should only professional players be consulted? They only represent the very tip of the pyramid. What about everyone else?

    Regards,

    Cliff
    So are you a player or a coach?

  16. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaN_fAn
    So are you a player or a coach?
    Coach and administrator, but why is that relevant? Does it somehow enhance my opinions?

    And why do you not answer my questions? Why should only professional players and coaches be consulted?

  17. #34
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    india
    Posts
    615
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CWB001
    Coach and administrator, but why is that relevant? Does it somehow enhance my opinions?

    And why do you not answer my questions? Why should only professional players and coaches be consulted?
    Maybe that's the right way of doing it.Coaches like yourself and Proffesional players are the ones whose advise can be given more weightage and importance.in any case we cant have Everyone giving their feedback to the IBF.that would be a BIG no.

    i cannot say much as i am in no way affiliated with the IBF.But i must say that the IBF are atleast taking views and suggestions and not like last time.Much better Scenario this time around.
    Last edited by DaN_fAn; 09-23-2005 at 07:57 AM.

Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I vote for 15 point rally system for Olympics and other majors
    By maximR in forum Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating
    Replies: 5
    : 01-20-2011, 04:36 PM
  2. A Year Later: Let's vote on the New/Old Scoring System again.
    By kwun in forum Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating
    Replies: 513
    : 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
  3. New Scoring System (21-Rally point system)
    By MikeJ in forum Jonas Rasmussen Forum
    Replies: 21
    : 06-05-2006, 06:03 AM
  4. new 7 point system??
    By wong in forum General Forum
    Replies: 7
    : 04-26-2006, 10:34 PM
  5. WS Point System for SO '05
    By cheongsa in forum Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005
    Replies: 1
    : 06-29-2005, 07:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •