User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which scoring system do you prefer?

Voters
721. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old 15x3 service based scoring

576 79.89%
  • New 21x3 rally based scoring

145 20.11%
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think this new system is Idiotic at best ... i'm actually quite disgusted with this at the moment....

can anyone get some more polls going on this new scorring?

not here! but perhaps in a bigger forum? .. or format where more poeple could voice thier oppinion so that we can send a message to the IBF

perhaps on http://www.petitiononline.com/

mabye someoen can start a petition to tell IBF to return to old scoring and send this petition to all badminton sites to get ppl to voice thier say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluejeff
    The new rule is OK for singles, but for doubles, it's very painful. People will be confused on whose turn it is for serving and which side to serve from. I just hope IBF can make some more changes and make it simpler.
    Well, I watched my first tournament with the new system. Pretty dull. If you do get extra points, it's exciting because you have to go up by two. The trouble is that in doubles, the server is so vulnerable that the game seems to be always won by a receiving side. I gave up on trying to follow the serving order.

Maybe it was because it was a domestic tournament with seasoned international veterans against high-level kids, basically, but too often, as soon as the score reached 18 or 19, the game just seemed over. For someone to hold serve 5 times in a row after being behind for most of the game, it was nearly impossible. The only games in extra points were the ones where the two teams were neck and neck the whole time. With the old system, a losing pair could always count on their ability to kill an opponent's game-point serve and then fight back.

On a side note, I didn't end up seeing Yoo, Ra, Ha, or Kim in action. Ra and Ha were there watching but the only international retiree who played this tournament was Lee Dong-soo and he and Im Bang-eun were elimated in the QF and he and Jung Jae-heui went out in the semis. Lee Jae-jin and Jung Jae-sung were reunited for the men's doubles event but lost in the semis to Jung's new partner, Han Sang-hoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i am still wondering what is the proper serving ordering for doubles. anybody can shed light on this? as mentioned, it seems rather confusing who's supposed to serve, and how players are supposed to stand.

and who says this is supposed to make badminton simpler? we are confused even before we started.

anyway, we want to try it out and understand the new scoring system first hand. if i am planning to diss something, i must at least try it out to know what is so bad about it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    i am still wondering what is the proper serving ordering for doubles.
    We tried it about 2 months ago and in 5 minutes lost track and went back to the current system of scoring. Then tried again in another match and lost track in 2 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more changes they try to implement, the more people will think that this is a poofter's sport since they have major rules changes almost every other year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Poll result evolution

Has anyone noticed that the poll gives more and more people against the new scoring system?

Seems that we are getting nearly unanimous against it now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seven
    Has anyone noticed that the poll gives more and more people against the new scoring system?

Seems that we are getting nearly unanimous against it now!

Errrrrrr...that's why it's called a "poll". People have free will to vote.

Long live the old scoring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Errrrrrr...that's why it's called a "poll". People have free will to vote.

Long live the old scoring.
    Yes, what I mean is that people are more and more unanimous against the "3x21 rally scoring" (should soon reach 86% against it).
    Why doesn't IBF listen to its fans base?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On this topic, does anyone know when IBF will take its OFFICIAL decision?
    I saw that the host for 2009 WC has just been decided, so I suppose the decision is imminent... (if not already taken)

I really hope they will abandon this silly idea, but I am rather pessimistic...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, what I mean is that people are more and more unanimous against the "3x21 rally scoring" (should soon reach 86% against it).
    Why doesn't IBF listen to its fans base?
    "More and more unanimous" is a bad choice of words. But yes, most Badders prefer the old system and hopefully the IBF will listen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"More and more unanimous" is a bad choice of words. But yes, most Badders prefer the old system and hopefully the IBF will listen.
    Let's say closer and closer to being unanimous!
    Is this better?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's say closer and closer to being unanimous!
    Is this better?
    No, because "unanimous" means every one is in accord and that will never happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, because "unanimous" means every one is in accord and that will never happen.
    yes I know what unanimous means
    99% is not unanimous, it is "very close" to unanimous.

Obviously, we can't be unanimous as there are at least one or two persons (who said idiots? ) at IBF who defend this crap scoring system!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hmmmm......

Indonesia demands new badminton scoring system

The Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI) demands that the current 3x15 scoring system be changed into the 3x21 system that is more television-friendly, an official disclosed Thursday.

According to Gandhi Sulistyanto, head of PBSI foreign affairs division, the new system is more suitable to TV coverage and will make badminton more popular.

"But we must wait decisions by PBSI regional chapters," Gandhi told Xinhua in a written statement.

The proposed 3x21 scoring system adopts rally point while the current scoring system allows only the serving side to add point.

PBSI's official stance will be submitted to the Asian Badminton Confederation (ABC)'s meeting in Kuala Lumpur this weekend.

The International Badminton Federation (IBF) implemented a 5x7 scoring system in August 2002 but the trial period was short-lived and replaced by the old 3x15 system.

Source: Xinhua

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On this topic, does anyone know when IBF will take its OFFICIAL decision?
    I saw that the host for 2009 WC has just been decided, so I suppose the decision is imminent... (if not already taken)

I really hope they will abandon this silly idea, but I am rather pessimistic...
    The decision is now official, see http://www.badzine.info/news.asp?id=708 , or http://www.ffba.org/home/actualite.php3?act=lire&id=960 :

--> All matches from official IBF events between 1 feb and 15 may will be played in 3x21. The defivitive decision weel be taken on 15 may 2006.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lio_d
    The decision is now official, see http://www.badzine.info/news.asp?id=708 , or http://www.ffba.org/home/actualite.php3?act=lire&id=960 :

--> All matches from official IBF events between 1 feb and 15 may will be played in 3x21. The defivitive decision weel be taken on 15 may 2006.
    Booooo hoooooo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BADMINTON: IBF to try out new scoring system
    K.M. Boopathy

Dec 10:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE International Badminton Federation (IBF), in an effort to make the sport marketable and popular worldwide, will experiment with a new scoring system for the second time in three years to replace the existing 15-point system.
    The new system, which will come into being next year, will use the best of three 21-point system using the point-per-rally format and will be introduced at all the grand prix events and other tournaments beginning Feb 1.

It will be experimented until the Thomas Cup finals in Tokyo in May.

IBF had put the seven-point system (best of five games) on trial between May 2002 and April 2003 but had to revert to the 15-point system after the seven-point system it was strongly opposed by the majority of the affiliates.

The effectiveness of the system will be reviewed during the Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Tokyo and will replace the traditional 15-point system (best-of-three) if IBF’s affiliates vote in favour of the 21-point system.

IBF events committee chairman Paisarn Rangsikitpo said that the 21-point system will be shorter, more interesting and will also be very competitive due to the point-per-rally format.

"We need to make necessary changes in order to see badminton one of the most popular sports globally and the 21-point system will make it very interesting and improve marketability," said Paisarn after the IBF council meeting in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

Unlike the old scoring system where 11 points over best of three games is used in the women’s singles, the 21-point version will be standard in all five events, including the men’s and women’s singles, and doubles and the mixed doubles.

If the score of a game is tied at 20-20, a player or pair must gain two clear points to win and if the score reaches 29-29, the first to score 30 will win the game.

A 60-second interval will be allowed when a player or pair reaches 11 points and in the third game, the players are required to change ends when when a player or pair reach 11 points.

In the doubles, only one service will be used instead of as in the two in the 15-point system and the players will serve on a rotation basis.

Paisarn is also optimistic that the system can convince affiliates as shorter matches reduces the risk of injuries and promises longer careers for players

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast