User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which scoring system do you prefer?

Voters
721. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old 15x3 service based scoring

576 79.89%
  • New 21x3 rally based scoring

145 20.11%
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seven
    Yes 215 out of 250 responses (in fact 220 out of 255 now... )
    This is a vast majority of above 86% of the replies.
    Obviously, neither of us can decide for the millions of badminton fans/players around the world who HAVEN'T replied to this poll.
    220 is puny when you look at the big picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    The real test will come. What is more important is that the game become more popular. You have your ideas and the IBF theirs. But the IBF is in the driver's seat. They have access to more resources/inputs re ways to make the game more popular than us. They have an objective to achieve, and an action plan to carry out, which by the way is fool-proof. The action plan is being hedged so there is no risk. If it doesn't work it won't be permanent.
    Sorry, but it is embarrassing to hear you say that. You must operate on blind faith.

How can you say that the IBF's plan is foolproof? Have you seen it?

How exactly is the action plan hedged so there is no risk?

People here fear that the change is, indeed, permanent because we have seen no success criteria for the experiment. These are required to enable the IBF to take an even-handed judgement over the outcome of the experiment and ought to be published if they really exist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CWB001
    Sorry, but it is embarrassing to hear you say that. You must operate on blind faith.

How can you say that the IBF's plan is foolproof? Have you seen it?

How exactly is the action plan hedged so there is no risk?

People here fear that the change is, indeed, permanent because we have seen no success criteria for the experiment. These are required to enable the IBF to take an even-handed judgement over the outcome of the experiment and ought to be published if they really exist.
    If the new scoring system is finally approved you can rest assured that it would have received endorsement from the major national badminton associations-Indonesia, I believe is all for it-and the system then becomes permanent. Of course there will be others who will be mad as hell. The hedge is the fallback to the old system should the new system not be adopted. The IBF officials are chosen by member national associations to govern the game. If you think the IBF officials are a bunch of idiots, which I don't think they are, why don't you do something about it? There are things you can do to air your grievances and unhappiness to the IBF. Your 220 signatures petition is one. Or you can take a more serious interest in the affairs of your country's national badminton association and work your way up as an official. Then you can have Punch Gunalan's ears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the new scoring system is finally approved you can rest assured that it would have received endorsement from the major national badminton associations-Indonesia, I believe is all for it-and the system then becomes permanent. Of course there will be others who will be mad as hell. The hedge is the fallback to the old system should the new system not be adopted. The IBF officials are chosen by member national associations to govern the game. If you think the IBF officials are a bunch of idiots, which I don't think they are, why don't you do something about it? There are things you can do to air your grievances and unhappiness to the IBF. Your 220 signatures petition is one. Or you can take a more serious interest in the affairs of your country's national badminton association and work your way up as an official. Then you can have Punch Gunalan's ears.
    You should consider changing your name to Punch's Poodle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This says it all, I suppose. But all is not lost for you. There is a possibilty that the new system will be thrown out, and you can then perk up again. But there is also a possibility that it may not go your way, in which case I can understand your frustration. Either way, I am neutral, basically because the proposed system will be allowed to be tried and tested. To be heard, to be tried, and then to be pronounced one way or another, is the due process I feel strongly about. And all these being initiated by IBF officials speaks volumes for their initiative, instead of being cursed left and right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The IBF officials are chosen by member national associations to govern the game. If you think the IBF officials are a bunch of idiots, which I don't think they are, why don't you do something about it? There are things you can do to air your grievances and unhappiness to the IBF. Your 220 signatures petition is one. Or you can take a more serious interest in the affairs of your country's national badminton association and work your way up as an official. Then you can have Punch Gunalan's ears.
    Corruption and arrangements inside IBF are a no secret.
    Member national associations have very little decision power except for the few dominant asian "super powers". IBF is surely not a "democratic" instance.
    If chinese and indonesian fans (for example) can convince their national association to go against this scoring system, it will be abandonned for sure.
    If not there is not much hope.

About showing interest in my country's national badminton association... well this is already my case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The world cup is being held in china, why don't we just give a chance to the 21-point system ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weeyet
    The world cup is being held in china, why don't we just give a chance to the 21-point system ???
    Great. Just as soon as those TV contracts come pouring in so we can see the d*** thing, we'll give it a chance. The Swiss Open had an idea which was more directly linked to promoting the sport. As I understand, it ended in disaster but it was a good idea in principle. Instead of toying with the scoring to try to make people who couldn't care less about badminton (ie. North Americans) miraculously start to like it enough to devote air time to it, they simply tried giving it air time via live streaming. This so-called trial is happening with a tournament which the Chinese, who get badminton coverage regularly anyway(and whose athletes are so good that all 6 hours of finals under the old system were of interest to spectators anyway), can see and which the rest of us have to get in fits and starts between PPLive buffering sessions. In other words, outside of China, only the die-hard fans (who already loved watching 6 hours of finals with the old system) will bother with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL! Sorry, that just struck me as a very funny statement. No offense to anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    LOL! Sorry, that just struck me as a very funny statement. No offense to anyone.
    Thank you. My dry sense of humour is not to everyone's taste but I have my moments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. My dry sense of humour is not to everyone's taste but I have my moments.
    I was gonna say, you must be from the UK then I realized, YEP, you are. I love English humor...long live Monty Python!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets ask a question:

has any fan of badminton ... lets say the average joe watching a live match for the first time .. some really great doubles action - has that type of person ever said afterwards... I dont like how the game is scored and I think they should win points no matter who is serving... doubt it.

has ANNNNYYYYONE Ever in the history of this game besides the IBF EEVVvvver Suggested this .... HAVE YOU EVER EVEN CONSIDERED FOR A SECOND that badminton would suddenly be much improved with DIFFERENT Scoring Rules? 99 percent of players will probably say No. We are only now debating it because the IBF is forcing us too.

I have Never in the last 12 years playing this game Ever questioned or considered even the possibility that there was something wrong with the scoring that needed to be changed..... Neither has any of the hundreds of players i've come in contact with over the years said anything of the sort either.

Listen to the poster who said some truths are self-evident...............

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I continue to test out the 21 system.... (played it last night again)

I'm totally on board with the singles. It sure does put pressure to make sure you play a careful game - as in no low precentage kill shots/trick shots, bit overall I don't mind it. Does it play in a power game - certainly, as you now there are les points to play. ( I can put the pedal to metal, knowing I only have maybe 40 rallies to get through).

But doubles - Nope, dont like the new system. WAY to easy to get the score and position screwed up. We were constantly having to stop and think who was where. I'd rather see the 5x9 system - potentially shorter, but still allows for some epic matches. And it makes more firggen sense.

If we are trying to market this to a public without a lot of knowledge, then this is a step in the WRONG direction. making something more complicated is good way to turn away new players.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ViningWolff
    I continue to test out the 21 system.... (played it last night again)

I'm totally on board with the singles. It sure does put pressure to make sure you play a careful game - as in no low precentage kill shots/trick shots, bit overall I don't mind it. Does it play in a power game - certainly, as you now there are les points to play. ( I can put the pedal to metal, knowing I only have maybe 40 rallies to get through).

But doubles - Nope, dont like the new system. WAY to easy to get the score and position screwed up. We were constantly having to stop and think who was where. I'd rather see the 5x9 system - potentially shorter, but still allows for some epic matches. And it makes more firggen sense.

If we are trying to market this to a public without a lot of knowledge, then this is a step in the WRONG direction. making something more complicated is good way to turn away new players.
    so far, i have similar observation as well. I watched KJ vs ng wei, and chen jin vs hafiz matches. For Singles, i think the 21 rally point system generates equal exciting as the 15x3 system. I didnt see much change of strategy, jumpsmash, net, drops, clear, drive, etc are still all their and each rally lasting just as long. The doubles, especially MD goes by just too quick with the 21x3 system. LIke others have commented, it dont leave room for late come back. The MD is the most exciting event, and now it got shortened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, indeed, and why not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the 21 pts system work very well so far ..after watch several days of the world cup . i was vote for 15x3 ..but now i might change my mind..but i would still prefer play 15x3

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by w3wmfhe
    i think the 21 pts system work very well so far ..after watch several days of the world cup . i was vote for 15x3 ..but now i might change my mind..but i would still prefer play 15x3
    LOL! You are all mixed-up.

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast