User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which scoring system do you prefer?

Voters
721. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old 15x3 service based scoring

576 79.89%
  • New 21x3 rally based scoring

145 20.11%
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing I like about the old scoring system is, given the score at any time, it's easy to keep track of who is supposed to receive in what court and who is supposed to serve from what court. Its not so intuitive in the new system methinks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jkad65
    The thing I like about the old scoring system is, given the score at any time, it's easy to keep track of who is supposed to receive in what court and who is supposed to serve from what court. Its not so intuitive in the new system methinks.
    Yep, that's a big advantage. Also, when you are serving, you have the ability to "go for more", be more aggressive with shots and know you won't be giving up any points going for them. With the new system, you have to play extra conservative on every point because no matter what, someone will score a point on every serve, regardless who serves. It'll be impossible to see those 5-13 comebacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S4MadMan
    Yep, that's a big advantage. Also, when you are serving, you have the ability to "go for more", be more aggressive with shots and know you won't be giving up any points going for them. With the new system, you have to play extra conservative on every point because no matter what, someone will score a point on every serve, regardless who serves. It'll be impossible to see those 5-13 comebacks.
    yes, there would be less risk taking and less variety of shots under the new rally point system.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    yes, there would be less risk taking and less variety of shots under the new rally point system.
    Boo-hoo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that old system is better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATED: 07:52, October 27, 2005
    New scoring system to debut at Badminton World Cup 2005

The International Badminton Federation (IBF) will apply the new scoring system in the Badminton World Cup 2005 to be held in December at Yiyang, central China's Hunan Province.
    This article says that the rally point system will be done on a test basis at the Korean Nationals from November 29-Dec 2. It says it will get an international testing at the Asia Under-16s in Macau on December 3rd and 4th.

The nationals will be held in my home gym so I'll be watching Kim Dong-moon and Ra Kyung-min (they're still playing domestically but they never played together) and Lee Hyo-jung, Lee Kyung-won, Lee Jae-jin and all the rest flounder around with this assinine new scoring system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the IBF is trying to follow the infinite wisdom of Vollyball organizations who changed to Rally point

if i'm not correct ... rallypoint has done *nothing to increase interest in That sports popularity ... i know it hasn't increased my interest in watching vollyball, quite honestly I preferred it much better before they changed it ... speaking purely as a non-fan of vollyball, someone who never enjoyed playing it myself and only watched it perhaps durring a commonwealth or olympics for a short time...... I liked it better before, even to the point of finding the scoring annoying to watch... and it certainly hasn't increased the intensity of play or length of the rallies in my view.

as far as I know the amount of vollyball tv coverage (atleast in north america) has increased 0% in the last several years since the change... the only Time i've ever been able to catch it on tv is still during an event such as commonwealth or olmypics... and perhaps an olympic qualifying event months before the olympics where a canadian team may be playing.

11x5 sounds better than 21x3 .... i'm so glad Canada hasn't officially adopted this scoring.... and in my province its not going to go either. With the power of the internet mabye the voice of the players will be heard - if only the IBF is willing to listen..... its obvious that most players are going to reject this crap. but whether the IBF even cares about its players (rather than money and pleasing tv sponsors) that is yet to be seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wedgewenis
    the IBF is trying to follow the infinite wisdom of Vollyball organizations who changed to Rally point

if i'm not correct ... rallypoint has done *nothing to increase interest in That sports popularity ... i know it hasn't increased my interest in watching vollyball, quite honestly I preferred it much better before they changed it ... speaking purely as a non-fan of vollyball, someone who never enjoyed playing it myself and only watched it perhaps durring a commonwealth or olympics for a short time...... I liked it better before, even to the point of finding the scoring annoying to watch... and it certainly hasn't increased the intensity of play or length of the rallies in my view.

as far as I know the amount of vollyball tv coverage (atleast in north america) has increased 0% in the last several years since the change... the only Time i've ever been able to catch it on tv is still during an event such as commonwealth or olmypics... and perhaps an olympic qualifying event months before the olympics where a canadian team may be playing.

11x5 sounds better than 21x3 .... i'm so glad Canada hasn't officially adopted this scoring.... and in my province its not going to go either. With the power of the internet mabye the voice of the players will be heard - if only the IBF is willing to listen..... its obvious that most players are going to reject this crap. but whether the IBF even cares about its players (rather than money and pleasing tv sponsors) that is yet to be seen.
    good example.
    Seeing example from the volleyball provided clear evidence that changing badminton score system to rally points will add nothing to badminton popularity, only to add confusion to regular badminton fans and players. Ping pong and tennis use rally point system from day 1, it has nothing to do with their scoring system since ping pong is not popular but tennis is in the USA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good example.
    Seeing example from the volleyball provided clear evidence that changing badminton score system to rally points will add nothing to badminton popularity, only to add confusion to regular badminton fans and players. Ping pong and tennis use rally point system from day 1, it has nothing to do with their scoring system since ping pong is not popular but tennis is in the USA.
    With tennis and ping pong the rally-point system has likely always been a non-issue because the server has an advantage in the former and has probably an equal chance at winning the rally in the latter. In volleyball, I can see why they might have changed it because at high levels, even with the spike serve (which, if I'm not mistaken, was introduced before the scoring change) it was nearly impossible to deny the receiving team the first chance to attack. Also the first hit in volleyball has to end a higher percentage of rallies than does the service return in badminton or even the first smash. I don't remember watching too much volleyball in those days, but I can imagine there must have been a lot more stalemates, with no one able to increase their score, than we get in badminton. In other words, they might have had more reason to change in volleyball but, as you both point out, the change still didn't do anything for TV coverage. The IBF has to face the fact that scoring systems aren't the reason for a game's popularity. It depends on the action, the personalities involved, sometimes on the nationalities of the players relative to the spectators, and on the opportunities that people have to watch the thing in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am definitely against the rally point system. It does not create any more interest because no matter what, badminton is just hitting shuttles back and off. Most spectators are badminton players themselves, and I don't see how the change will make non-badminton players suddenly have the urge to watch badminton. If we really want better TV coverage, we have to speak up to the cable companies that we demand badminton. We should explain why we find badminton so appealing. It's certainly no less attractive then say tennis, basketball. What we really need is funding for prizes for tournaments. Badminton certainly deserves as much prestige, if not more, than say "sports" like golf.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PetitionMembersOrgs?

I think all of us, at least those who are paid up members of constituent national organizations, such as USAB in my case, should petition them not to make any decisions in support or opposed to any new scoring system without consulting us. The larger playing public should have a say in it rather than officials of national bodies making such a decision. FYI, I am opposed to any changes as most of you are.
    If BC circulates such a petition, I would be happy to sign it. I believe the official to address this in USAB is Cliff Peters. I am going to go ahead and write him a letter, but I would encourage BC to draft and circulate a petition for US. I hope other nationals take up something similar.
    I am sorry if this is a repeat of someone else's posting, I did not read all of them. Thanks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think all of the top guys in IBF should be sack. Their head is twisted, keep changing the scoring method wont help much in promoting the game. If there is any improvement of promotion it will be marginal. The should learn from the american, the best way to promote it is "MARKETING"... put more effort into marketing rather than thinking a new scoring system.

Is disneyland really that FUN,,, NO!! is all marketing..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SibugiChai
    Is disneyland really that FUN,,, NO!! is all marketing..
    No way! Disneyland is that fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old for sure, i think it makes for more interesting games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new rule is OK for singles, but for doubles, it's very painful. People will be confused on whose turn it is for serving and which side to serve from. I just hope IBF can make some more changes and make it simpler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say old system but the new system would be pretty cool like ping pong. Fast and simple.

Or even 11x5 like ping pong would be fun. I can't believe they aired ping pong on sportsnet central. I was surprised. Lol.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bill gates favourites sports is ping pong.. i even saw him attending the atlanta96 ping pong tourny alone? wonder where is his bodyguard? but around him got no spectator?????

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast