Are K supports best ?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by nickywicky, Sep 20, 2005.

1. nickywicky

nickywicky Regular Member

I'm looking at getting a stringing machine. These forums have answered lots of queestions for me. But one that I don't know the answer to is 'do you really need K supports for badminton rackets' ?

I need to string squash and badminton rackets and are looking at the Eagnas Flash 767 ( http://www.eagnas.com/flash767.html ) or the Eagnas Combo 710 ( http://www.eagnas.com/com710.html).

I would prefer the Flash 767 because it comes with the badminton clamps and the clamps and string gripper are of a newer design ( so I guess that means better). But what I don't know is if the Large V support versus K support is important or not.

Can anyone help me ?

( I'll be a new stringer when I get my machine so I don't have any experience at all with stringing.)

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Both K and V supports do their job well. However both machines are basically made for tennis racquets with adequate adjustments at the posts and side supports for badminton, albeit not as good as a badminton-only machine, plus badminton clamps. Almost all tennis racquet machines cannot support the 4 corners of a badminton racquet at the 4 most critical locations. Of the two tennis racquet machines the Flash 767 appears to be slightly better in this respect, although it's 4 V-shaped supports still cannot be moved to the ideal 4 corner locations. Despite this you should have no problem stringing to 35lbs with minimal distortion, even on oval-shaped racquets. It will produce less distortion than 2-point machines, and that includes the Laserfiber machines.

3. Pball

Pball Regular Member

I read somewhere, it is best to use C supports.. anyone care to elucidate on what brand/model this is available.. thanks...

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Side supports are almost all braced inwards (V-shaped and K-shaped supports). They work by stopping any shift in frame bulge when tensioning the racquet. For example, if you string the cross from the top, the tendency of the top part of the frame to squeeze the bottom part of the frame outwards is stopped by the bottom two side supports, because the bottom side supports will prevent outward movement (but not inward movement). 'C' side supports are only found in some Eagnas badminton-only machines. They have a little of the 'inwards braced' supports-tiny ones-plus clamps to clamp down the 4 side supports. Such clamp-down supports are only used in other machines at the two posts (top and throat) i.e, 2-point and other multiple point hold-down systems. Because the 'C' clampdown supports are clamped very close to the 4 corners-and these are places where most of the shared grommets are-stringing becomes hardwork. Care should also be taken to ensure the clamps do not leave clamp marks-there is a technique to avoid this.