Energy systems utilised during Badminton!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Stephen Mooney, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Could anyone explain the energy systems utilised during a game of badminton and what type of training programme could help improve performance. I need to know as I have some college work to complete on this and I dont play badminton,
    Thankyou.

2. Iwan

Iwan Guest

The swing power you get for your shots comes from several parts, your body rotation, your shoulder, your elbow, your wrist, and for some players, they even get power from the fingers that holds the racket loose and suddenly becomes tight to make the racket move a bit more. What this finger thingy does is it snaps the racket forward, its performed just before impact to get as much power from it as possible.

The other thing that uses up your energy is the movements around the court. In singles, there is a lot of short sprint like motion being done.

3. giggsy

giggsy Guest

Some facts about badminton i read somewhere (and proved to be true in my experience:

1. It is the fastest racket sport.
    2. It involves various physical movements, hence the entire body is in fact involved (even fingers as Iwan said earlier).
    3. It improves a person's hand-eye motor coordination.

4. ligak

ligak Guest

just like basketball, a badminton player need speed, power and endurance. So both the aerob and anaerobe energy are important. Long distance running and sprinting are very important training in developing a good player. Some combine both in one training session such as the Fartlek system. Running up a hill or stair and running on the beach are good for the leg power and endurance. Flexibility is also important in badminton.

5. viver

viver Regular Member

Let's say badminton players use both aerobic and anaerobic energetic systems. A typical rally, exchanges are very fast paced but short in time - say 10 to 15 seconds. During exchanges, the initial ones I believe is the anaerobic system that is mostly utilized. However as the match goes on, the aerobic system will become more prevalent - an athlete that has a good aerobic system will recover quicker, enabling the body to produce the necessary elements to produce the energy again. I believe the physical conditioning of a high level badminton player should be similar to a, say 400 meters runner. Hope this helps.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    check out:

WF Ganong
    Review of Medical physiology 17th edition

pages 64-65 and 255-267

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    This is an excellent book on this subject:

Physical Training for Badminton
    by Bo Omosegaard, Lars Tindholdt (Translator)
    International Badminton Federation; ISBN: 1872850014

8. Kan

Kan Guest

As mentioned already, badminton uses both aerobic and anaerobic system. However, during longer rally with high frequency of "burst" power, lactic acid (I think) will form - hence the burn feeling on your arms and legs. I believe there is a energy system in our body that breaks down lactic acid to release more energy. However, this particular energy system is not very efficiency.

I hope this help.

I regard to training progam. Longer distance to form the foundation. Short sprint like soccer helps. Swimming and weight training are good compliment.

9. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    To start off with some basic models of training :

You must first understand what your maximum heart rate (MHR) is. This can be estimated by (220-Age) so for a 20 year old max heart rate is approx 200 bpm. Another way to find it is to sprint flat out for the length of a badminton hall and then take your pulse straight away.

The intensity of work you do during a session is expressed as a % of MHR.

For a 20 year old 60% MHR would give a heart rate of 120bpm.

Note : it's worth picking up a heart rate monitor if you can to train accurately.

To develop the fitness required for badminton you should start off by doing the exercises described below 3 times a week. They don't have to be on the same day.

For Aerobic System:

Continous work at between 60-70% MHR. So for instance start off with jogging for 20 minutes at 60% MHR.

For Anaerobic System:

Lactic System:
    Interval work at 80% MHR with a work ratio of 1:2. So for instance shuttle runs at 80% MHR for 25 seconds followed by 50 seconds rest. You can start off with 10 repetitions, take a break for a few minutes then do another 10.

Alactic System:
    Interval work at 100% MHR with a work ratios of 1:5. So for instance flat out sprint at 100% MHR for 10 seconds with 50 seconds rest. You can start off with 20 repetitions.

Once you get fitter, you can increase the intenisty and frequency of training, but stick to the work ratios and MHR's as described.

You should also combine this training with flexibility training and strength training.

Invest in a good book too, the IBF recommended book has numerous training models, it is good but check it carefully as there are some errors in it.

UKP

10. Steplantis

Steplantis Regular Member

Broadcast Engineer
    What are the errors you mention in the IBF book?? I`m assuming you mean the "Physical Training for Badminton" book. I`m interested to know which areas are incorrect.

11. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I don't know which version you've got but in mine the main one which stands out is the weight training reps are mixed up. Beginners reps are advanced reps and advanced reps are beginners reps. There are other errors I found but I haven't written them down.
    UKP

12. baronspill

baronspill Regular Member

I came across a presentation on Badminton energy systems. It informs that the sport is 55% anaerobic (40% ATP-CP, 15% lactic acid system) and 45% aerobic.

In running terms this is nearest to 1500m speed which is 50% anaerobic. The presentation recommends training the anaerobic and aerobic systems on court; in my mind it makes sense to make the training sport specific. However, if you can't get on court to train, I believe running at different paces as if training for the 1500m would develop the energy systems required for badminton and give quite a lot of cross over benefit.

13. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Great info on here, especially on the percentages. To recap:
    Basically using all 3 basic energy systems: aerobic (oxygen), anaerobic lactic (the lactic acid comes from this part), and ATP (basically anaerobic alactic, aka phospate system)

I would have guessed more lactic percentages, btw.

Going from high intensity to low:
    ATP is used for the first 20 seconds, then lactic starts up to help out, with aerobic kicking in at around 2m.
    Overall, all systems are used and need to charge up again using the slower systems. Lower intensity (but longer) training does use the higher intensity systems, but won't deplete them, thus not training those systems.

We train the ATP and the aerobic systems the most. The lactic is hard to train and needs to be done twice a week to be really helpful, and you need to plan it around the tournaments and stuff. Also, too much of it is bad and won't give your body time to recover, so resting periods are very important. Exercise : Rest going from something like 1:1 on ATP to 1:3 or 1:4 on aerobic. And resting days between lactic sessions are very important.
    We're not that fanatic and only train hard once a week.