small grip or a bigger grip

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kevin, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Kevin

Kevin Guest

i have always play with a small grip little bigger then the standard grip. My friends started a year ago with playing a big grip little smaller then a tennis grip so just without get the standard grip of the racket do a new 1 on the racket.
    Now i saw them playing and they smash very harder then me. Is this really becuz they have a bigger grip then me? they have all even big hands then me. And they arent much stronger then me.

i hope every1 understand this text.
    my english is very bad.

already thnx,
    kevin

2. Nick N.

Nick N. Guest

It really depends on your hand size...the G4 grip seems to suit me well because I can hold the racquet tightly and comfortably without losing any smashing power . From my experience, a bigger grips make you lose smashing/clearing power even if the handles are the same weight. Too small a grip and you lose control. But my hands are kinda small...

3. YY Fan

YY Fan Regular Member

Sales
    Dear Kevin,

I can understand your written English, it's not bad.

Certainly, there is no definitate answer here, it all depends on the size of your palm. I had come across the grip size of some Chinese National players, some grips were as big as squash racket's handle cause the players used mainly towel grips. In additional, they used G3 grip size.

Kevin, I suggest buying badminton rackets with smaller grip so that you yourself can adjust the grip size freely, let say a Yonex badminton racket of G5, usually one will add an additional thin synthetic grip on it to make it more comfortable, it will then change to G4. This adjustment is easy, on the contrary, it the grip is let say G3, one may have to peer off the original leather grip and apply another thin grip on it, so as to make the grip thinner.

Big grip has one advantage - control more easily and big grip will to some extent change the balance point of the racket, hence the racket will become lighter than before, vice versa.

4. Kevin

Kevin Guest

ty for the good advice

5. Daniel

Daniel Guest

One important aspect regarding grip that most players ignore: Change your grip frequently. I used a thin sythetic grip that goes over the original racquet and found that by replacing my grip regularly, I get better smahes and shots making. Because I played about 3 times a week, changing my grip once a month helps. Just my 2 cents ;-)