User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 31
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Optimum string tension to get Most power from BG-66

    First of all let me explain what I mean by optimum tension for most power. We all know



    Higher tension = less power = more control

    Lower tension = More power = less control



    However, that doesnít mean if I strung my racket at 1 lb (Yes, 1 lb) I will get very high power. In fact it will be opposite. I wonít get any power at all with that tension.

    Also, if I strung my racket at 30lbs then I wonít get any high power either. So, to get the most power the optimum tension lies between somewhere 6 Ė 30lbs.



    So, my question is WHATS THAT OPTIMUM TENSION? What do you think?



    I know there could be so many variables like string gauge, racket type, racket shape, string type etc. Letís assume we only worry about string gauge and ignore all the other variables.



    Let me ask a more specific question.

    What is the optimum tension for BG-66 in a Yonex Isometric racket for most power?

    Please Help or at least share your thoughts. I will really appreciate that.



    Thanks

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    211
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would say all depend on the speed you can generate with your arm.
    The racket do NOT generate power. The string tension will tell how instant the energy transfer.
    The speed of racket head and your hand grip power will tell you how much power will tranfer to the birdy.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezish

    Also, if I strung my racket at 30lbs then I wonít get any high power either. So, to get the most power the optimum tension lies between somewhere 6 Ė 30lbs.

    Your tension range is way too broad. In reality, most ppl's "comfortable range" is much smaller than the one u presented. Also, each one has his/her own comfortable range. If u give me Peter Gade's comfortable range, even with the lower end, it might be way to high than most of us club lvl players.

    The only thing I can tell, is base on ur own experience, try to shift the tension a bit next time u string. If u feel it's improving, then, move a bit more on that direction. If not, the other way around. With each test for 1-2lb change, I am sure u will get to ur own solution within 3-5 tries, at most.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default I understand that. Let me make it more simple.

    I understand that. Let me make it more simple.

    Suppose there is a competition to hit the bird as far as possible (hitting angle 45 degree) and you are given 4 same racket with different tension (16lb or 18lb or 20lb or 22lb). What do you think? with which tension you can send the bird farthest.

    For me I think I get most power with 18lb. I would like know about other ppl as well.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dallas,TX. (From India)
    Posts
    986
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezish
    I understand that. Let me make it more simple.

    Suppose there is a competition to hit the bird as far as possible (hitting angle 45 degree) and you are given 4 same racket with different tension (16lb or 18lb or 20lb or 22lb). What do you think? with which tension you can send the bird farthest.

    For me I think I get most power with 18lb. I would like know about other ppl as well.

    Thanks
    But, that will not be the only shot you play during a match !!! You need to find out the optimum tension that'll work for your style of play.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Here is the problem

    Here is the problem, I find it difficult to hit the bird to the back line (like a lob shot). So, I strung my isometric 60 MF racket with BG-80 18lbs. After that its a lot easier to send the bird at the back of the line. However, I bought a BG-66 to get more power. Now I am thinking should I string it with 18lbs or 20lbs or 16lbs. I am just between beginner and intermediate player now. I am good at smash and drop shots but not good at shots at the back line. I know my technique is wrong. I am trying to learn it to hit the bird the right way. Though it is taking some time. I think I need more practice. mean while, If I could get a head start with a better equipment that will be great. BG-80 helped me improved my play a lot. Now I debating on strung my BG-66 at 18lbs or 20lbs or 16lbs.

  7. #7
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,203
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Every person has different styles, strength and technique. Also the racket can play a factor. Different racket, different tension could be the optimal tension.

    Best is to experiment.

    Also do a search on "Optimum string tension" or "ideal string tension" will pull up a lot of good info.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    sg
    Posts
    535
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=23428

    I like this piece of advice:


    "Could also be your technique, maybe your not hitting on the sweetspot. Best way to correct this problem is probably practice in my opinion, and maybe even some weight training. But in my opinion muscle build doesnt really matter for begginers, just try to get the technique down first. Then worry about better racquets, higher tension string, weight training and such. I'm only 13 yrs old and i have no problem clearing baseline to baseline and i think i have average stregnth. I'm also using an Isometric 63 light with factory string strung at around 20-15 lbs. I now find that higher tension racquets give me better power. Best advice i can give you is practice"

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,237
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    you'll wanna keep in mind that the tension is totally dependent on the individuals arm and technique.

    the technique will allow you to use the higher range of tensions.
    your arm strength will allow you to make good use of the higher range of tensions.
    the speed you can swing the racquet will allow you to generate power with the higher tensions.

    a combination of this will give you your optimal tension.
    just because pros use high tension doesn't make a difference in how good or how bad you might play.
    theres even some pros using low 20's...... all dependent on style.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezish
    First of all let me explain what I mean by optimum tension for most power. We all know



    Higher tension = less power = more control

    Lower tension = More power = less control



    However, that doesnít mean if I strung my racket at 1 lb (Yes, 1 lb) I will get very high power. In fact it will be opposite. I wonít get any power at all with that tension.

    Also, if I strung my racket at 30lbs then I wonít get any high power either. So, to get the most power the optimum tension lies between somewhere 6 Ė 30lbs.



    So, my question is WHATS THAT OPTIMUM TENSION? What do you think?



    I know there could be so many variables like string gauge, racket type, racket shape, string type etc. Letís assume we only worry about string gauge and ignore all the other variables.



    Let me ask a more specific question.

    What is the optimum tension for BG-66 in a Yonex Isometric racket for most power?

    Please Help or at least share your thoughts. I will really appreciate that.



    Thanks
    With Yonex BG66 I get optimal power and control at 28.25lbs mains and 31lbs crosses. With titanium strings it is 27.25lbs/30lbs. Two lbs lower, it is still okay and the loss of power and control are minimal. Any lower, especially at below 25lbs, the loss of both power and control becomes very obvious.
    I am almost three times your age. So something is not quite right here.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by storkbill
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=23428

    I like this piece of advice:


    "Could also be your technique, maybe your not hitting on the sweetspot. Best way to correct this problem is probably practice in my opinion, and maybe even some weight training. But in my opinion muscle build doesnt really matter for begginers, just try to get the technique down first. Then worry about better racquets, higher tension string, weight training and such. I'm only 13 yrs old and i have no problem clearing baseline to baseline and i think i have average stregnth. I'm also using an Isometric 63 light with factory string strung at around 20-15 lbs. I now find that higher tension racquets give me better power. Best advice i can give you is practice"
    heh, thats my quote , and its true, equipment only brings out the potential of a baddy player, a pro with a 10$ racquet, he can prolly beat a noob with all the top end equipment. Better to spend your $$ on a coach and practice more. Before my iso 63 gave me alot of power and alot to play with, now that ive grown out of it, and utlized it to its maximum potential i moved on to muscle power 23.

    Something to add is that i think begginers should start out with noob equipment, and then once youve outgrown your racquet, then you should get a new one, think of string tension and stuff. But for now, technique is more important then any racquet out there. Just practice like i said and you should be able to improve alot, rather then sit around looking at your 200$ racquet

    Also, hieght and strenght also doesnt play an important factor when your beginner or intermediate. Look at me for ex), im only 5'5 and 100lbs, alot underweight. but if you have proper technique, you will dominate.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    693
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I get all my rackets strung with BG66 between 24-27 lbs on a Pacific electronic machine.
    The exact tension that I'll ask for will depend on a few things:
    1) Carbonex 20 and 21 - For normal play: 24 lbs. For more serious games/tournament: 25 lbs.
    2) MP100 - For normal play: 25 lbs. For more serious games/tournament: 27 lbs.
    Its just my preference. Need the added control for serious matches.
    I'm 35, 1.69m, 67kg and play around 4-5 times a week.
    Enjoy yourself experimenting with the tensions!
    Last edited by mongoose; 09-23-2005 at 01:53 AM.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ok, people asking what the ideal string tension is is really making me frustrated so let me answer all of them.

    There is NO ideal string tension that benifits maximum power and control that fits everyone. your own, best string tension range is like your fingerprint, it is different from everyone elses (kinda) and it all depends on your body, and personal preferences. you CANNOT ask someone else what the best string tension for you is. if you want to find out, you must go through trial and error and find out for yourself.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    909
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezish
    Here is the problem, I find it difficult to hit the bird to the back line (like a lob shot). So, I strung my isometric 60 MF racket with BG-80 18lbs. After that its a lot easier to send the bird at the back of the line. However, I bought a BG-66 to get more power. Now I am thinking should I string it with 18lbs or 20lbs or 16lbs. I am just between beginner and intermediate player now. I am good at smash and drop shots but not good at shots at the back line. I know my technique is wrong. I am trying to learn it to hit the bird the right way. Though it is taking some time. I think I need more practice. mean while, If I could get a head start with a better equipment that will be great. BG-80 helped me improved my play a lot. Now I debating on strung my BG-66 at 18lbs or 20lbs or 16lbs.
    i say stick the to crappy string, if you practice with crappy racquets and string tensions, once you move on to a better racquet with good strings and tension, all your shots and your play will be better. playing with crappy racquet and string just helps you train to become good enough to fully utilize the better racquet and strings.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Potong Pasir
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would suggest stringing between 21lbs to 23lbs for BG 66...any higher and power would be significantly reduced..

    Durability would also be reduced at higher tensions...

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    let me remind u that vining can pound the birdie pretty hard at 17-18 lbs.
    At 22-24 lbs, i didn't notice any difference.

  17. #17
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,203
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    let me remind u that vining can pound the birdie pretty hard at 17-18 lbs.
    At 22-24 lbs, i didn't notice any difference.
    Who's "vining"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Min. optimum string tension for BG80??
    By Tornoni in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 13
    : 03-04-2009, 08:37 PM
  2. Tension for optimum smash power
    By martykool in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 4
    : 12-08-2008, 09:24 PM
  3. String tension and power
    By Danstevens in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 20
    : 10-19-2008, 10:37 PM
  4. optimum string tension
    By proxy in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 4
    : 01-20-2005, 12:01 PM
  5. whats optimum string tension ?
    By wedgewenis in forum Badminton String
    Replies: 12
    : 07-31-2002, 04:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •