Grandson to Dave Freeman

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by FreemanGrandson, Sep 22, 2005.

1. FreemanGrandson

FreemanGrandson New Member

I am grateful to have found this forum. My family and I have been looking for footage of my grandfather playing badminton. During his competitive years of 1939 through 1953, I was not around. In fact, my mother was born in 1952, so she never saw him play either.. By browsing this forum, I found a lead to some footage at britishpathe. I beleive this to be my grandfather playing the AE in 1949.
    During this browsing, I noticed many mentions of my grandfather by fellow forum members. Every word was with respect and admiration towards him. I want to thank all of you for your kind words.
    Respectfully,
    Rees

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    A good welcome to you sir. :)

Didn't quite expect the relative of a well known player of yesteryears to join us. Please do join in our discussions a member of the BC family.

I only know Mr Freeman as one of the better known players from the United States back in the time when the country was strong in the sport.

The elder ones such as Loh and Bbn would know him quite well I reckon.

3. FreemanGrandson

Thank you for your kind welcome. I actually noticed in searching for mentions of my grandfather - Dr. David Freeman - Loh and Bbn had several nice words. Look forward to being a part of this community,
    Rees

4. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Welcome to BadmintonForum, FreemanGrandson! :D

-dave

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    He was a neurosurgeon as well. I wonder how he managed to combine that career with playing at a high level of badminton.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I have found two very interesting articles about Dave Freeman. One article described him as "A perfectly balanced precision instrument that glided on Ball Bearing". I will provide the articles in their entirety when I come back from an arrand. Dave Freeman was the only player to make Wong Peng Soon, Singapore's Sportsman of the Century, eat humble pie. If I am not mistaken, he was the 'inventor' of the high single serve.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The following article about the 1949 Thomas Cup was originally printed in the Badminton Gazette in England.

"The second evening commenced with the Freeman v Wong Peng Soon match, the principal feature of which was the really superb play of the American captain. He showed form of a standard considerably higher than had been seen in the British Isles in singles play for a great number of years.
    His length was a good deal more consistent and accurate than on the previous day, and throughout the whole of the match he was calling the tune in practically every rally.
    Wong was on terms at 4-all, but thereafter, he was successful in obtaining only one more point, and that only after Freeman had advanced to 14-0 in the second game by the aid of his deceptive cross-courts drops, made equally well on the forehand as on the backhand. The Californian ran from 6-4 to 11-4 in one hand, and he similarly annexed the final four points in the first game also in one hand.
    In the second game, Wong attempted to play more aggressively, but Freeman's defence was equal, not only to returning all the Malayan's smashes, but to returning them most accurately indeed, and exactly where he wanted. He ran from 4-0 to 11-0 in one hand, and thereafter the Malayan got in only three times, before the American ran out 15-4, 15-1, after only 21 minutes' play."

'Invicta'

By the way, Dave Freeman was inducted into the International Badminton Federation Hall of Fame in 1997.

Another article was from The Guiness Book of Badminton :

'A perfectly balanced, precision instrument that glided on ball bearings'. Such the summimg up of a lean whippet of a man, a US Army surgeon, who went unbeaten in America from 1939-49, won the All-England singles in 1949 with almost arrogant ease, dropping only 24 points in his last eight games. After retirement, made a winning comeback in Toronto in 1953 when he lost but one game-only his third since 1939! Much of this accomplished when he was stationed in the Panama Canal Zone where badminton was 'non-existent'.
    Classic shots played with superb ease, and the hair-line precision of a surgeon. He lacked power but his smash (especially round the head) was steep and with poison-tipped accuracy; his retrieving, unyielding, knee-skinning.
    Unhurried, calmly patient, fired by absolute concentration and driving ambition, he limited his opponents' returns and relentlessly pressured them into mistakes.
    Surgeons don't make errors; nor did he. On those rare occasions when he erred, they were accompanied by his own suitably pungent comments or his roar of anguihed disbelief.
    His greatest moments? At the age of 28, he defeated both Malayan masters, first in the Thomas Cup, then, allowing neither more than six points, in the All-England. In the Thomas Cup, against Wong, he was held 4-4-then raced to an incredible 15-4, 15-1 victory! After 6 weeks' intensive neurological study he entered the Danish Open-and scored victory again over Wong Peng Soon (to win the All-England title for the next three years), and, in the final, Ooi Teik Hock.
    'An amalgam of stamina, talent and unbreakable concentration'. A shooting star of unequalled brillaince that shot across the European skies just once-but never to be forgotten.
    'As near faultless as any player I've ever seen'.

I understand Dave Freeman also played tennis for the US in the Davies Cup.

8. FreemanGrandson

Thank you Taneepak

I have actually not seen either of these articles before. I have already shared this post with several family members. We appreciate your effort.. Thank you.

On a separate note.. I had dinner with my grandmother and 2 of her long time friends last night. Joe and Louis Alston. Joe Alston and my grandfather used to play quite a bit of badminton together, and Joe is in our local Hall of Champions for his great efforts in badminton.

Rees

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The following may be of interest to your grandfather's friend, Joe Alston.
    Second Thomas Cup 1951-2.
    In the second inter-zone tie, the Final, played in the Happy World Stadium (105 degrees F 41 degrees C) before 8500 delirious fans, it was India's turn to be on the receiving end. 1-4 down to the USA, they fought back magnificently to 4-4. And in the final match Seth and Guha were 15-6, 8-2 up before FBI man Joe Alston, exhausted by a gruelling singles, and Wynn Rogers bravely rallied to give America the edge.
    In the Challenge Round between holders Malaya and USA, the ventilating system broke down. Not only were tickets at a premium on the black market but also hand-fans. America, already bereft of Dave Freeman who had retired, suffered a severe blow when Joe Alston was refused an extension of leave. Again in stifling conditions they fought gallantly but were beaten by a better team.
    Martin Mendez extended Wong Peng Soon in the second game and defeated Ooi Teik Hock who retired with cramp at one game each. Wynn Rogers and Alston's replacement, Robert Williams, gained a meritorious win over Malayan champions Chan Kon Leong and Abdullah Piruz, and, 12-10 up in the third, took Ismail Bin Marjan and Ong Poh Lim to the limit.
    Tremendous Press coverage ensured packed houses that recouped all travelling expenses. Organization by Loke Wan Tho, a millionaire ex-Oxford honours graduate was superb; it even included US Team Manager Ken Davidson's famous comedy act.
    Results of Challenge Round :
    Malaya 7--USA 2
    At Singapore on 31 May and 1 June. Scores (Malayan names first):
    Singles : Wong Peng Soon beat A.M. Mendez, 15-1, 15-10; beat R Mitchell, 15-8, 15-5. Ooi Teik Hock beat Mitchell, 15-9, 15-11; lost to Mendez, 15-10, 10-15, retired. Ong Poh Lim beat R. Williams, 15-1, 15-6.
    Doubles : Chan Kon Leong and Abdullah Piruz lost to W Rogers and R Williams, 15-9, 16-18, 9-15; beat C Loveday and R Mitchell, 15-2, 15-2. Ong Poh Lim and Ismail bin Marjan beat Loveday and Mitchell, 15-5, 15-4; beat Rogers and Williams, 15-12, 13-15, 15-12.

Third Thomas Cup 1954-5
    All inter-zone ties were played in Singapore's new Badminton Hall before 8000 spectators who produced record gate receipts.
    After 2-2 on the first evening, America's Joe Alston, 15-7, 9-7 up against India's Nandu Nateka, uncharacteristically went tp pieces to lose the key match. T N Seth (India) clinched the issue (6-3) by defeating R B Mitchell who twice fought back unavailingly from 1-7.

Dave, maybe you would like to share the above with Joe Alston so that he can re-live some of those days.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    this is an excerpt from Dr. Oon Chong Teik's Biography

Great Players of the Era

Dr Dave Freeman

This was the only man to beat Peng Soon without the latter avenging the defeat. This was because Freeman soon retired from badminton to continue with his medical studies and go on to become a neuro-surgeon. He was supposed to be a great retriever and never let the shuttle touch the floor. When I met him in 1964 in San Diego while playing at the U.S. Nationals, he still looked a fit, wiry and strong man.

Attached Files:

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    if we only can peek into his daytimer...................:D

12. blahblah

blahblah Regular Member

Taneepak: just out of curiosty, where did u find all of these articles? Is there a website that u use to search the archives? anyways, im just kinda amazed with your "never ending" soucre or information about everything:p :D

13. nelsonkong

nelsonkong Regular Member

Quantity Surveyor
    wow....freeman grandson...welcome to the BC forum...hope you have fun here. See ya around.

Hope you can gether some good info and know your granddad better. XD

14. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    Should be a fitting idol for you Cheung!!!

Welcome FreemanGrandson!!