caught up to your opponents pace

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by MouZe, Sep 23, 2005.

1. MouZe

MouZe Regular Member

Last week, we had our first competition matches against another club. This club has always been one of the best clubs out there in NL. I've noticed that again, that day. I've lost my single in 2 sets, with 15-9 15-7 or something. the guy was really good. But then came the MD, it was the same story as in my single. Such incredible pace of the opponents. We lost the first set with 15-5. Then the second set began, and my partner said to me: " well, its obviously we can't win. Lets just try to get around 9/10 points"
    I don't know why, but apperantly this triggered something in me. I was suddenly like: Wtf, i can't let this continue.
    Then i suddenly began to hop every time we were serving, or recieving the service. i only came about 2cm off the ground.
    Now, i don't know if this irritated my oppenents, or that i just started to play really well because of this behavior.
    My power, control and stamina seemed to increase alot. We won the 2nd set, and lost the 3rd set with 17-16.

But has anyone else experienced something like this?

2. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

The hop is a footwork technique that allows you to move more effectively around the court.

With your renewed motivation and footwork, you were able to get to the bird earlier giving you more time, thus the better your shots were.

Cheers!

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hopping or small movements destroy inertia and helps your acceleration. That and being positive and aggressive with your shots meant that you should move forward after every downward attacking shot (which should be the way to play doubles). Court movement during rallies should always be continuous. Initiate and recover to the appropriate area of your coverage always.

#3 cappy75, Sep 23, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

like they said.
    just make sure you don;t bounce-about when the other team sevres on you. they might get annoyed.

btw, wich club? what level? (i'm dutch as well..)

5. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Regular Member

Hoping is actually a very good way to put your oppenents off, as they feel you are ready to pounce like a fast leopard and install fear and put pressure on themself - they become more defensive. It also makes you more competitive and alert - therefore moving faster.

I did it yesterday and it even my own partner off !

6. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    I hoped and hoped, but it didn't come to pass until I hopped.

-dave

7. MouZe

MouZe Regular Member

Jerby:
    Im playing at a club called Shuttlewoude, located in Zoeterwoude
    The club i was talking about is called Conquesto, located in Zoetermeer.
    im playing 4th class. (first year for me, previous season i played 6th class)

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

ohh. that's nice.
    I'm quite familiar in Conquesto..lareg club indeed..and shuttlewodue does ring a bell. ( i play at ZIGO..)

9. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

ermh... Tennis and badminton alike, that hopping is actually a technique called a split step. Its meant to prepare your muscle before the rapid movement. You see, when you don't hop, your muscle is at rest and to accelerate quickly at that kind of situation is a bit slower. Your muscle takes longer time to react to the signal given off by your brain. But if you were to hop, the muscle is at work as you're landing and any signal received from the brain to move is more readily carried out. I believe there is an extensive discussion about split steps out there, so do a search on it if you want to find out more.

10. MouZe

MouZe Regular Member

**offtopic**

heh, it looks like i'll be at ZIGO at 30-10.
    What team are you in?

**offtopic**

**ontopic**
    Splitstep eh? damn :eek:
    i do watch the anime prince of tennis. rofl :D
    did it without realising. lol :)

#10 MouZe, Sep 28, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  11. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Hahaha ok, but don't learn from PoT ok? Its complete rubbish. Or at least for badminton its complete rubbish. Probably cause in badminton you have shorter intervals between shots. No such thing as a one legged split step ok? :p hahahaa