User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 27
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Question on stiffness

    hi there,

    I've already learned what the balance point of a racket can do. but what is the exact function of stifness? I'm still growing in power, and my racket dealer advised against me using a very-stiff, since it will soemhow limit me in my stroke, i guess...
    and another Q is: for power should on always try to go as stiff as he can? (i mean: if i ahve the skills i can get more power out of a stiff, than a medium?)

    and: hwo does the stiffness of the at500 compare to any of the NS's?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,661
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    hi there,

    I've already learned what the balance point of a racket can do. but what is the exact function of stifness? I'm still growing in power, and my racket dealer advised against me using a very-stiff, since it will soemhow limit me in my stroke, i guess...
    and another Q is: for power should on always try to go as stiff as he can? (i mean: if i ahve the skills i can get more power out of a stiff, than a medium?)

    and: hwo does the stiffness of the at500 compare to any of the NS's?
    Hi jerby,

    It is like when you wake up in the morning, your back is stiff. You can't get very much power out of the body. Latter on in the day, you workout, walk around and your back is more flexable. You can put out more power. OK, enough joking around. There are many post here about this subject. In "GENERAL", stiffer shaft give you more control and flexable shaft generate more power. Same as the string bad in "GENERAL". Please do a search in the equipment forum about the racquet and string stiffness.

    THis is my opinion and the other member please object if I make any mistake here. Often time, cobination of stiffness of shaft and string tension can make a lot of difference. For example, Cab30ms is has a stiff shaft and good for advance players because they can generate enough power already. However, I would like to get a little more power without changing my racquet. One option for me is to lower the Cab30ms tension by 2 lb. It gives me a bigger sweet spot and little more power. My suggestion to you is to try out as many racquets as possible from your friend as possible. Don't just fix on one brand or one type. Good luck on your search.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Posts
    688
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Stiff racquets would benifit more if you have a fast swing
    Flexible racquets would benifit more if you have a slow swing


    If your arm is very strong and have a fast swing, then a stiffer racquet will bring you more power than a flexible racquet. Vice Versa... da da da.

    I don't know how AT500 compares to the NS's... But if you want a stiff racquet, go for AT700

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ok.
    well i'm developping a very short stroke.I can pull it off to do a clear without really moving my elbow.
    i quite actually don't have a muscular swing arm. so you mgiht say i got a fast swing...

    and somehow, i feel like flexible rackets are for amateurs..dunno why..

  5. #5
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,273
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A key point between stiff and flexible rackets, ceteris paribus:

    An extra stiff racket would only generate more power than a flexible racket if you can flex the shaft. If you cannot flex the shaft on an extra stiff racket, then it will generate less power for you.

    I know some "A" and "B" players with powerful smashes and they use medium stiff rackets. They told me they weren't strong enough to use extra stiff rackets.

    So I think it's best to experiment, try different rackets and find which one is ideal for you. It's not necessarily your skill but your overall wrist/body power. The power and speed you can generate from the racket. For instance, a beginning player with a tremendous swing would benefit from an extra stiff racket because he can flex the shaft. An "A" player with a lessor swing would benefit from a racket less stiff.

  6. #6
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,273
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    and somehow, i feel like flexible rackets are for amateurs..dunno why..
    In general you're correct because Beginners don't have fast swings and cannot utilize the benefits of a stiff shaft. That's why they should start off with flexible rackets.

    Case and point, there were a few Beginners and they wanted to try my AT800OF @ 28lbs. because it appeared to be very "powerful". But once they swung the racket, they could barely clear to half court. They were puzzled why I could clear so easily and they could not. I smiled and let them try my Kason Lepton F2 @ 24lbs. which is a flexible racket. Instantly they added almost 10' to their clears. They thought the F2 was a much more powerful racket then my AT800OF and wondered why I didn't use it.

    So it's all relative.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    sg
    Posts
    535
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S4MadMan
    In general you're correct because Beginners don't have fast swings and cannot utilize the benefits of a stiff shaft. That's why they should start off with flexible rackets.

    Case and point, there were a few Beginners and they wanted to try my AT800OF @ 28lbs. because it appeared to be very "powerful". But once they swung the racket, they could barely clear to half court. They were puzzled why I could clear so easily and they could not. I smiled and let them try my Kason Lepton F2 @ 24lbs. which is a flexible racket. Instantly they added almost 10' to their clears. They thought the F2 was a much more powerful racket then my AT800OF and wondered why I didn't use it.

    So it's all relative.
    Hi,

    Could it be the difference in the tension rather than the stiffness of the shaft?

    I'm asking cos' i tried recently 2 diff racquets, MP88 (medium) and Ti-10 (stiff) but both @24lbs. With someone feeding me shuttles, I hit about 20 forehand clears with each racquet and looked where the shuttles landed (they landed short becos i'm still a newbie ) and there was no significant difference in the length of the clears. Definitely not a 10' difference

  8. #8
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,273
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by storkbill
    Hi,

    Could it be the difference in the tension rather than the stiffness of the shaft?

    I'm asking cos' i tried recently 2 diff racquets, MP88 (medium) and Ti-10 (stiff) but both @24lbs. With someone feeding me shuttles, I hit about 20 forehand clears with each racquet and looked where the shuttles landed (they landed short becos i'm still a newbie ) and there was no significant difference in the length of the clears. Definitely not a 10' difference
    I've also tried this with the same rackets strung at 29lbs., same string, it was about a 6'-8' difference.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've noticed the difference between MP28 (Medium Flex) and MP23 (Flexible) both strung at 23lbs by the same stringer and string. I can get more power with the MP23. So Shaft flexibility IS crucial for me when choosing a racquet if I wish to pick higher string tensions. I don't have the swing speed for a less flexing racquet.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    so stiffness would be: stiff as possble without losing power.

    any quick tests when you have a fast-swing?

    I'm 1.93(m) tall, and have a very thin build (i weigh 65Kg) and my biceps(rightarm) are 28cms tightened.
    and while being so skinny, i can still easily clear without using force, but more use of swing...

    any test i can perform on myself, or anythign you can read out of the stats?

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,661
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    so stiffness would be: stiff as possble without losing power.

    any quick tests when you have a fast-swing?

    I'm 1.93(m) tall, and have a very thin build (i weigh 65Kg) and my biceps(rightarm) are 28cms tightened.
    and while being so skinny, i can still easily clear without using force, but more use of swing...

    any test i can perform on myself, or anythign you can read out of the stats?
    Get a radar gun... Ask a policman to check your swing speed...

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    3,974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silentheart
    Get a radar gun... Ask a policman to check your swing speed...
    sounds tempting

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silentheart
    Get a radar gun... Ask a policman to check your swing speed...
    I don't think a radar would work thou - more like the laser gun would work, or use the Simen's timing system.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Racquet stiffness is a more complex property than most people think. For most players their perception of stiffness is how stiff a racquet feels when they hit a shot. But stiffness in the design of the racquet is looked at and engineered in modulus terms. High modulus, ultra high modulus, vectran, kevlar, and nano have very high stiffness or high modulus. The stiffer the materials, the higher the modulus, the greater the repulsion power. An ultra high modulus racquet can be designed to feel less stiff, simply by having a longer shaft or a thinner shaft. But it is still a stiff racquet. A low modulus racquet can be designed to be very stiff by having a fatter and shorter shaft. It will feel stiff but would be considered low modulus in the more correct definition of stiffness-it would have no power.
    I am sure you can easily spot some Yonex racquets that are nano or ultra high modulus racquets that feel less stiff than the lower modulus of the Yonex Tour 800 although they actually have stiffer materials. When choosing a racquet words like nano, vectran, ultra high or high modulus, or kevlar are more important.

  15. #15
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,273
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    The stiffer the materials, the higher the modulus, the greater the repulsion power.
    This is only true if a person can flex the material. If a person cannot flex the material, it won't give you higher repulsion power. Agree?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London & Penang
    Posts
    6,628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Flex?

    Quote Originally Posted by S4MadMan
    This is only true if a person can flex the material. If a person cannot flex the material, it won't give you higher repulsion power. Agree?
    I'm a bit confused by the use of this term 'flex'. What exactly do you mean by that? And I suppose, more importantly, how would someone increase his 'flexing' abilities?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamzz
    I'm a bit confused by the use of this term 'flex'. What exactly do you mean by that? And I suppose, more importantly, how would someone increase his 'flexing' abilities?
    I can't specifically answer how to increase your "flexing" ability (because I find that a flexible racquet suits me atm). but by the term "flex" we mean the ease at which you can transfer kinetic energy from your momentum/body/arm/wrist motion to the racquet. This motion causes the racquet to bend and hold the energy and finally to whip and transfer energy to the racquet head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Victor Brave Sword 10 Stiffness Question
    By inmamy in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 1
    : 10-14-2010, 01:32 AM
  2. Question regarding racket stiffness
    By Akirika in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 11
    : 02-24-2006, 06:02 AM
  3. stiffness and balance question
    By hydrocyanic in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 0
    : 09-30-2005, 03:33 AM
  4. Stiffness Question
    By TIWONG in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 6
    : 04-21-2005, 04:57 AM
  5. Stiffness question?
    By jsaki2000 in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 3
    : 02-22-2005, 06:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •