User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 21
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question what grip size to get; G4 or G5?

    hey guys, oneed some help. im thinking about inquiring on a yonex ti-8 long. but the problem is, i dunno which grip size to get. it's either comes in a 2UG4 of 2UG5. I own several racquets including a ti-7 light which is a 3UG4. but i was wondering what a G5 feels like. I do have big hands for an asian though haha, but will it be better on my behalf since i'll be able to defend quicker beacuse of the thinner grip? please help, what would u guyz prefer, thanx

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Canada
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    if you've never tried G5 then go for it. whenever there's a choice of grip size for me when buying racquets, i ALWAYS choose G5, because it's the safest bet, either the size is just right, or it's too small, in that case put a few layers of grip over it until it meets your desired size, becuz if you get a G4 and it's already to big without any extra grip, you can't make it smaller

    so i reccomend G5

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ting03
    if you've never tried G5 then go for it. whenever there's a choice of grip size for me when buying racquets, i ALWAYS choose G5, because it's the safest bet, either the size is just right, or it's too small, in that case put a few layers of grip over it until it meets your desired size, becuz if you get a G4 and it's already to big without any extra grip, you can't make it smaller


    so i reccomend G5
    ah, thanx ting03. i appreciate that man. G5 It is then. But, are there any advantages and disadvantages of smaller grips in play style?

  4. #4
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,238
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ting03
    if you've never tried G5 then go for it. whenever there's a choice of grip size for me when buying racquets, i ALWAYS choose G5, because it's the safest bet, either the size is just right, or it's too small, in that case put a few layers of grip over it until it meets your desired size, becuz if you get a G4 and it's already to big without any extra grip, you can't make it smaller

    so i reccomend G5
    Sorry, disagree. It should depend on the person's hand size. If they have a smaller hand, then yes, go with the G5. But the person's hands are bigger, go with the bigger size. Ideally for me, I like a G3 grip with an overgrip. So a G5 for me would not work.

    Additionally, adding too many overgrips can adversely affect the balance of the racket. There was a post on BC about this.

    So, it depends.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    For me, I use a G5/4.5 and put a single grip double layered on and it works fine. I can sort of manage of a G4 with an overgrip but that's sort of too big for me already.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Montreal (514)
    Posts
    1,229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S4MadMan
    Sorry, disagree. It should depend on the person's hand size. If they have a smaller hand, then yes, go with the G5. But the person's hands are bigger, go with the bigger size. Ideally for me, I like a G3 grip with an overgrip. So a G5 for me would not work.

    Additionally, adding too many overgrips can adversely affect the balance of the racket. There was a post on BC about this.

    So, it depends.
    It can have effect over balance point but the main disadvantage is that adding too many layers of overgrip make you lose the corner shape of the wooden handle.

    Without the corners its harder to guess where the racquet face is.

    I would suggest you to borrow a G5 racquet from a friend first. If you prefer the feeling of G5 over G4 then go for it. If not stick with G4 or try around!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you get comfortable with G4, I say just stick with it. Put on layers of grips surely can increase a G5 to G4, but u need quite a few layers, and it can effect the balance of the racket by quite a bit.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK (Plymouth)
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I been using MP23 2U-G3 but just brought a MP99 3U-G5. I am finding it diffcult to control any of my shots. My hand is about 22.5cm from the tip of my fingers to my wrist. Can I use a G5 grip?

    What is the advantages and disadvantages of using a small grip (ie G5) compare to a larger grip (ie G3)?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A G5 can be turned to a G4 with one grip double layered (assuming it's the correct thickness).

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Canada, Mississauga
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It is important to get a grip that fits your hand. If not, it puts stress on your arm and also causes blisters on your hand. As well, it is easier to produce power with a grip that fits your hand.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    TW
    Posts
    3,949
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K.Chiu
    I been using MP23 2U-G3 but just brought a MP99 3U-G5. I am finding it diffcult to control any of my shots. My hand is about 22.5cm from the tip of my fingers to my wrist. Can I use a G5 grip?

    What is the advantages and disadvantages of using a small grip (ie G5) compare to a larger grip (ie G3)?
    You can think about it as:

    1-Grip is too big.
    A 1-year old baby holding a G3: Of course, the handle is way too thick for the baby, and the result is that it will be hard to grap the handle. Even the person is capable grapping the handle, it will be hard to use.

    2-Grip is too small.
    A person is grapping a pencil: Since pencil is really thin, if you swing it fast, the pencil might fly out of your hands like a rocket. Hence it will be hard to keep the handle in the right place.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K.Chiu
    I been using MP23 2U-G3 but just brought a MP99 3U-G5. I am finding it diffcult to control any of my shots. My hand is about 22.5cm from the tip of my fingers to my wrist. Can I use a G5 grip?

    What is the advantages and disadvantages of using a small grip (ie G5) compare to a larger grip (ie G3)?
    u got a huge hand with 22.5cm measurement

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I would suggest buying a racquet with a grip size slightly smaller then the grip of your hand. Then you add one or more layers untill you find it fits.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Richmond, BC
    Posts
    5,209
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yup, that's what I would say myself.

    I did a typo in my initial post about the grip.

    I can turn a G/G4.5 into about a G3 using a single grip, double layer which works well for my hands.

  15. #15
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,238
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    u got a huge hand with 22.5cm measurement
    Most definitely. Basketball player hands.

    You know what they say about big hands...

    ...they need big gloves.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    UK (Plymouth)
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S4MadMan
    Most definitely. Basketball player hands.

    You know what they say about big hands...

    ...they need big gloves.
    I have got big hands !!!! hehe!!!!

    Anyway I think I getting use to using my G5 girp and now I just need to keep on improving my game (especially my smashes!!!) Any ideas guys???

  17. #17
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,238
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K.Chiu
    I have got big hands !!!! hehe!!!!

    Anyway I think I getting use to using my G5 girp and now I just need to keep on improving my game (especially my smashes!!!) Any ideas guys???
    If you have big hands you need a G3 or G2 grip. G2 is the way to go. That's what I use. Well, I make it myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What grip size do I have?
    By bowi12 in forum Grip
    Replies: 9
    : 12-15-2009, 04:20 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    : 09-17-2008, 12:50 AM
  3. Grip size
    By oliviergmar in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 8
    : 02-02-2007, 07:16 PM
  4. New survey on hand size and grip size
    By Cheung in forum Grip
    Replies: 30
    : 05-04-2004, 01:22 PM
  5. What grip size do you use?
    By azndragon108 in forum Grip
    Replies: 3
    : 03-09-2004, 10:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •