Tensions Of Strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Eric, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Eric

Eric Guest

I am kind of confused now
    Some people say the tighter the strings the better the power
    Some people say the tighter the strings the better the control

which one is right

2. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    it's all theories my friend...
    what you should do is just to play and experiment with the tensions to find the right one for you...

3. jon

jon Guest

I play at very low tensions according to my friends...

My racket is strung at 20lbs... i think its fine... the max on my racket is 18!

but anyways... i've heard that the higher the tension... the better control, and less power...

lower tension... more power... less control/

4. Hock

Hock Guest

I thought it's the other way round. Higher tension, more power, less control.

5. AS

AS Guest

I agree with Jon, i was also of the opinion that the higher the tension the morethe power, but it is not the case. I have various rackets at various tensions and the Ti10 at 22lbs definitely gives me the most control but not as powerful as the rackets strung at 18lbs. Thats my experience on this subject anyway, but feel free to experiment with different string tensions and see how they feel. Good luck.

6. Jason

Jason Guest

Higher the tension, the less amount of power you have. Take a look at a bow and arrow. If you pull back on the bow to create a lot of tension, the arrow usually goes pretty far. If the bow is too tight and you cannot pull it back at all, it will not go very far. Think of a trampoline as well. If you want to jump high, you want a lot of bounce in the trampoline, same as the stringbed on a racquet. If you want more power, you have to have some flex in the strings in order to transfer that momentum to the shuttle.