what do you do on defence with head heavy racquet

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wunderbar, Oct 1, 2005.

1. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

I want to start using my Armortec 700 more regularly for doubles but it slows my defence down. Any suggestions other than choking up on the racquet? Offense/control is great but for doubles sometimes you really need the D.

Raquet:
    Armortec 700 3U

Main raquet:
    Yonex Ti-7 Light 3U

2. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

probably because ur reflex slow and ur wrist not strong enough to swing it fast on time. The only suggestion I could recommence is do the hit against teh wall drill to increase ur reflex.

3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

practice, have people smash birds at you, your wrist power and reflexes should improve, i use a 2u mp23 and i can still play decent defense... i think:confused:

4. SomeDudeInBlue

SomeDudeInBlue Regular Member

Student
    Basically what everyone said, get stronger. Tha's one of the disadvantages of a heavy head.

Try playing with a 2u racquet more for pratice rally before the game then switch to your main racquet.

btw- HEY! I got a Ti-7 (Mesh) 3u for main racquet too! Cool! I'm also trying to move on, and advance, the Ti-7 feel like it's limiting me sometimes do you feel the same way too? :crying:

5. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

Yeah. The Ti-7 is great all around but not exceptional at anything. Still good racquet though. Its probably because I'm use to playing with these Korean racquets from JooBong that are extremely light. Great for net play plus I mainly play the front in doubles as my partner is stronger in the back.

I find that with the Yonex Armortec 700AT, it takes longer for the racquet head to go from bent back to original position (seems flexible although it states its a stiff racquet). I think thats why it slows down the defence. Mind you if I had wrist/finger strength like the pros, any racquet will do..haaa.

6. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    well if you can decide whether you want a head heavy racket or a head light racket or even a balanced.

SOme rackets dont suit ur play and if ur a power player then the head heavy is the way to go.

Speed player then the head light is the way to go, quicker reactions and the faster ur swing the greater ur power will be.

I dont think that the armortec is that head heavy.

Its jus that u switched from a light to a head heavy racket and it will take some time to get use to.

Again practise practise practise.

7. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Are you saying...

a) you keep missing the bird (or just zips by you)
    b) you are swinging but you're contacting the shuttle late
    c) you are swinging early, contacting the shuttle optimally in your swing, but the return is weak

Cheers!

8. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

maybe you shouldve gotten a AT500 instead... ive heard its more manuevarable and is more forgiveing (bigger sweetspot) and is more balanced. like slightly less power but makes up for it in defence.

9. IvanM

IvanM Regular Member

U need POWER......

i can even defend very well with my 2u mp99...

and try to lower your racket and body.....with a firm hold...

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Good suggestion. Also, use the same racket do the same drill (or, drive drills with ppl) right before ur game can help u get the timing as well. ;)

11. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    My suggestion is to keep your racquet in front of you. Leaving it to your side or behind you when your arms are at rest will slow you down.

12. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    I use an AT700 for doubles too, just gotta build up arm and wrist strength, then u can move the racquet effortlessly. I'm almost there, not quite, but good enough =P

13. Chire

Chire Regular Member

You could try moving your hand on the grip more towards the head. That compensates the head-heaviness a bit. I find it very effective in doubles. Usually the doubles players hold their rackets so that there's some empty space exactly there where the singles players hold their rackets. That's why they put their grip tape quite high.

14. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

heheh the At500 is forgiving but then again if ur gonna be taking out 150$ i think you might want to hit sweet spot alot more. I luv my at500 however