User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Arm Packing up: Thinking of Switching Arms?

    My right arm (playing Arm) is really staring to hurt now a days. Can hardly play for 2-4 days before taking a few days off for work. This stage has been reached after playing for about 4 yrs now.

    A thought struck me a few days back. Can I switch arms. Become a laft handed player. Yes this will mean starting from scratch again but is it a possibility. I used to play footbacll primarily with the right foot. Only a few weeks prictice made my lft foot quite strong. Point being that once you know the game adapting to the other limb is not as difficult as starting from scratch.

    Does anyone have any experience on this. Any examples.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hm no experience of such pain. but i think i would suggest what many other probably would suggest as well. go see a doctor. maybe its some old injury which u did allow to heal fully before? might also be a good idea to check if u are using the correct techniques?

    4 years sounds an awful long time to be in pain. better do something about it. get better soon

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yes u can switch arm but u'll probably really suck with it for some times and has a lot of injure since ur footwork will mess up big time

  4. #4
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,200
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Have you thought about why your arm hurts? Here are a few suggestions:

    1) Grip too small and you are choking the handle, putting undue stress on your arm

    2) swing motion and body rotation not correct

    Best to have a pro check it out. Good luck whatever happens and I pray you make a fully recover.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Canada, Mississauga
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S4MadMan
    Have you thought about why your arm hurts? Here are a few suggestions:

    1) Grip too small and you are choking the handle, putting undue stress on your arm

    2) swing motion and body rotation not correct

    Best to have a pro check it out. Good luck whatever happens and I pray you make a fully recover.
    I agree. You've been playing for 4 years and obviously, your right arm is stronger than your left. Switching arms would be a little pointless. Why don't you start your form from scratch with your right arm? The footwork will stay, basic form should stay and most of all your drops/net play should be the same.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manduki
    Why don't you start your form from scratch with your right arm?
    becuase it's currently hurting i think...

    I would like to take up playing with my left hand one day starting from scratch, and learning the proper techniques.

    also as a way to balance my body

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    222
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I know of someone who was of a very respectable standard on the local circuit; she played top division for years, and one year injured her playing arm. She switched arms and made the same grade within a very short space of time. Some people just have the gift. Do you?

    Aleik.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleik
    I know of someone who was of a very respectable standard on the local circuit; she played top division for years, and one year injured her playing arm. She switched arms and made the same grade within a very short space of time. Some people just have the gift. Do you?

    Aleik.
    Encouraging. Atleast one live example. I will start o practice over the months and try for ambidexterity. Maybe practice with my daughter and wife with left arm. Over time switch.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes but how do you know you won't develope the same problem with the other arm and then you'll be back to square one all over again.


    ... you must be doing something wrong in your swing to have such problems

    see doctor as first
    and when playing try to fix that and you will probly be able to play without pain.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco/Davis California
    Posts
    270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    do it, switch to the other arm, and then in a match, you can just switch arms back and forth and scare your opponent.

  11. #11
    Regular Member volcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,505
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wow... this is the most drastic case I've seen. Changing arms? Sounds very very difficult to be honest.

  12. #12
    Regular Member jhirata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand, New Z
    Posts
    2,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think it's possible, I've seen people play with both arms before. He was using two racquets O_O

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    London & Penang
    Posts
    6,628
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    what an old thread to bring up.
    i wonder if he actually ended up switching arms ... hmmmm, will we ever know?

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmodak View Post
    My right arm (playing Arm) is really staring to hurt now a days. Can hardly play for 2-4 days before taking a few days off for work. This stage has been reached after playing for about 4 yrs now.

    A thought struck me a few days back. Can I switch arms. Become a laft handed player. Yes this will mean starting from scratch again but is it a possibility. I used to play footbacll primarily with the right foot. Only a few weeks prictice made my lft foot quite strong. Point being that once you know the game adapting to the other limb is not as difficult as starting from scratch.

    Does anyone have any experience on this. Any examples.
    I had a coach in college who switched arms. He was right handed all his life, (15 years of badminton or so) and he dislocated his shoulder so badly that everytime he tried to play, his shoulder would pop out. So he switched to being a lefty. I think it took him several years, but he did manage to make it to a similar standard to what he was (High-B, Low_A in Alberta), a pretty good standard. It took him a LOT of practice, but it is possible!

    Also you will have to train your legs, from the lunging your right leg will be stronger than your left, so keep that in mind too. As DinkALot said, you should get your right arm checked out first, maybe it would be easier to get that fixed instead of switching.

    Good luck either way!

    EDIT: I didnt realize this was such an old thread...hopefully he posts and tells us what the outcome was!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Inside my badminton bag.
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Then a friend of mine started to play badminton,he used his wrong hand ,with out knowing it. So now plays that way, no problem at all.
    He's playing national tournament, all over Europe.So i would say that its no problem to change hand, it would take some time but not as long like when you started from scratch.

    Regards

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhirata View Post
    I think it's possible, I've seen people play with both arms before. He was using two racquets O_O
    Is this even legal to play with two rackets in matches?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoName1225 View Post
    do it, switch to the other arm, and then in a match, you can just switch arms back and forth and scare your opponent.
    I saw someone did this before for fun. Indeed he was scary. But how feasible this would be in competitions? Never saw good players do that.

    Since we all are weaker on our backhand side, switching racket hand and playing both arms seem to have advantages. It will make a person playing forehand on both sides. But it also must come with some disadvantages, like more preparation time to get into position. Anyone know if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages or the other way around?

    I'm thinking about kids learning to play. Since they're weak on backhand side, it would be easy for them to learn playing with both hands. Has anyone tried this approach?
    Last edited by Birdwood; 02-11-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Fu Haifeng - Arms
    By tipper1 in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 12
    : 01-11-2012, 01:40 PM
  2. FS: 3 packs of Yonex Supergrap (New Packing)
    By Ah_Peng in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 1
    : 09-25-2010, 01:51 AM
  3. Happily sent packing home
    By ants in forum Singapore Open / Indonesia Open 2009
    Replies: 19
    : 06-14-2009, 07:56 AM
  4. Packing A Racket Overseas
    By kristian in forum General Forum
    Replies: 2
    : 09-04-2008, 12:11 AM
  5. thinking of switching from at500
    By NoName1225 in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 11
    : 02-12-2008, 01:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •