Protecting the bird at the net.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Qidong, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Sorry if this question has been asked before. Watching WC 2005 from DVD, sometimes 2 players playing at the net. 1 player lifted it too high, and the other player got an easy kill. I was thinking if everytime right after the player lifts the bird, he/she raises the racquet up right behind the bird and facing the racquet to his opponent, even if the bird is too high, the other player's return will very likely be bounced back by the racquet. Is it legal?

2. samtruong200

samtruong200 Regular Member

hey where did u get the 2005 WC dvd? did u get off the internet or did u get it from a store?

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

www.badmintondvd.net

4. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Yes, this have been discussed several time before. It is a clear fault if you hold up your racket in a way that when your opponents follow thru goes over the net the rackets will clash. Also think that you are not allowed to simply "block" the shuttle back without making any movement of your racket. But the trick part is that the ref might not see that you are "only" blocking without actually doing any shot and the rackets might not clash because the opponents doesn't want to risk his/her racket. So the correct answer might be illegal but in practise the answer is probably "it depends".

However if playing regulary against such opponents I'd like to use an old steel/alu racket to teach them a lesson:D

/mats

5. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Thanks. Since it's illegal, that explained it. But I didn't know that block a bird is illegal neither. Many times, when my opponent hit a drop shot right in front of me, I just hold the racquet up and block the bird back across the net. :)

#5 Qidong, Oct 3, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  6. ribroy

ribroy Regular Member

I can see that it is illegal to "balk" your opponent by putting your racquet in the way of their projected racquet smash path but not performing a block shot..

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's legal, so long as you do not obstruct the opponent from making his stroke. Here is the relevant law:

13. FAULTS

It is a 'fault':

13.4 if, in play, a player:

13.4.4 obstructs an opponent, ie prevents an opponent from making a legal stroke where the shuttle is followed over the net​

Note that there is no law against blocking. You must not obstruct your opponent's follow through, but otherwise you may hold your racket up to block.

8. eskimojoe

eskimojoe Regular Member

Would it be a fault if you smashed the shuttle at the net and your opponent blocked the shuttle and it touched you racket on their side of the net on your follow through

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes. Not a very likely scenario, though. You would have withdrawn your racket before their response passed the net.