Your view on doubles

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by GunBlade008, Oct 4, 2005.

1. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Hey JR,

I was just wondering a few things about doubles format. I have a partner the same level as myself, but I am much weaker on my smashes. Our defence isn't that great either but I'm glad to say that our communication is quite good. I usually drop but then it puts my partner and I in awkward defensive situations. we are working on our drives, but I still need to generate power from the back of the court with my smashes to win rallies. Since I'm a weak smasher, I was wondering how I can overcome that problem and still play doubles at a high level. Are there any alternatives to constant smashing and driving?

2. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Wits!!

Yes, there is!!

If you´re strong mentally and tactically you can outwit many opponents.

Some players use a lot of power in their play and that´s not always the best solution. Try taking the pace out of the game by playing a lot of netshots combined with sometimes lifting to the backcourt. This will frustrate players relying on power. When you like to play fast you usually like your opponent to play hard and fast back to, but if they don´t get the pace from you they may a lot of mistakes and yoú can capitalize on that.

This is one of the ways you can improve your play!!

Kind Regards

JR