Are all Carlton rackets made in China now?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by najia, Oct 4, 2005.

1. najia

najia Regular Member

My coach offer me some Carlton deals, Airblade Tour for ~$50, Airblade Superlite for ~$60, AG-6 shuttle for $11/doz. Not sure where he got them, but all of them are made in China. Wondering are they Real Carlton as the ones listed much higher prices in U.K.?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if i remember correctly, carlton has been making rackets in China for a while now...

3. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    Yep, my friend gave me a low end Carlton racquet, which is at least 4-5 years old "Airblade Attack", and it too is made in China.

4. najia

najia Regular Member

Thanks. I think I'll jump in it.

5. YY Fan

YY Fan Regular Member

Sales
    Hi Najia,

As far as I know, some Carlton earlier models are made in Taiwan, like the Carlton Airblade Tour and Carlton Airblade 400 which I use.

For the Carlton Rasmussen series, they are definitely made in China. Apart from Carlton, Dunlop badminton rackets are also made in China, but of very good quality.

China is progressing every day, so does her badminton rackets production quality.

Attached Files:

6. najia

najia Regular Member

Thank you for your reply. I'll buy the Airblade Tour :)

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    China does make good quality rackets too. :)

8. YY Fan

YY Fan Regular Member

Sales
    Hi Najia,

Carlton Airblade Tour has two version :

1. Oval BOX frame (like those Yonex Carbonex series) with small cone near the handle (the cone looks like that of Yonex Iso 800 Tour).

2. Oval WIDEBODY frame with CFS cone near the handle.

It seems the first version is for Asian players, European brand name but for Asian playing style, it weighs 95 - 96 grams in blank racket, mine is totally 110 grams, including string and towel grip.

The second version is lighter and more easier to be controlled, according to some users's comments in this forum, the second version weighs about 90 grams

For me, I prefer the first version, as I like heavier rackets, after all, the normal cone is better than the CFS cone, as I find CFS cone hinders fingers movement.

Then, which version of Carlton Airblade Tour your friend showed to you ?

9. najia

najia Regular Member

Hi YY Fan,

I just bought the Powerblade Tour 05 (86g) yesterday. I didn't try it, because my coach didn't have the 05 new version. But he said it is a good rackect, and he won't have the Airblade tour 05 recently. I wonder what is the difference between the Powerblade and the Airblade? By the way, I payed $65 for it.

Thanks for your information.

10. bloup

bloup Regular Member

Airblade series = oval shaped
    Powerblade series = iso shaped

11. najia

najia Regular Member

Thanks. I thought Carlton was very traditional, they'd never make iso shaped head. I was wrong, :( So except the head shape, nothingelse?

12. bloup

bloup Regular Member

Nothing much, except for head shape they should be roughly the same, carbon construction, neutral balanced, rather stiff to extra stiff. Enjoy, it should be a very nice racquet :cool:

PS: Carlton factory string job usually is simply awful ...

13. other

other Regular Member

Student
    hahaha glad to find someone else that thinks this way:D

14. YY Fan

YY Fan Regular Member

Sales

Hi Najia,

Not at all, we have fun in sharing experience and informaiton, as long as I am now shifting from Yonex to Carlton rackets.

Old version (should be 2004) Powerblade Tour (Iso head frame) is in full rusty orange, with some black patterns on the head frames, don't know the new Powerblade Tour 05 is the same color with the old version or not.

I believe production of Carlton Rasmussen series has been ceased, as Peter Rasmussen has retired, so Carlton would not continue to product badminton rackets in his name, so comes the new version of Airblade 05 and Powerblade 05.

I have ever seen the photos of Airblade 05, they are similar to those of Rasmussen old series, but just without the name of Rasmussen on the shaft.

Certainly, it is a breakthrough for Carlton to produce Iso head frame rackets. Don't know if Carlton will produce long version rackets like Yonex and Victors in the future, as long as both Airblade and Powerblade rackets are all of normal length.

Najia, I envy you can get some new Carlton rackets in your area, we haven't any new Carlton rackets in Hong Kong, even we have, they are of old version Carlton rackets.

It seems Carlton doesn't value the Hong Kong market, but I am surprised to find the Carlton Rasmussen series and old Powerblade series in China, selling at high price comparable to those of Yonex.

Anyway, hope you enjoy and have great fun with your new Carlton Powerblade Tour 05, cheer !

15. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    In before, I think Hong Kong is the best place to buy badminton stuff. Hong Kong players can enjoy low price YY, low price Carlton, low price Victor, low price Wilson.......................

But now, Carlton does not bring new products to Hong Kong, the price of Victor becomes more and more expensive, Babolat does not come to Hong Kong, Pacific and Volkl also does not come, Oh NO....................... :crying:

16. najia

najia Regular Member

Hi YY Fan,

Based on the picture I saw, the 05 version Powerblade Tour is still orange and black coloured. But I havn't got my new racket yet. It will arrive next week. I'll let you know how about it. By the way, Hong Kong is good enough for badminton, you know in U.S. Yonex asks about 2 times price for their rackets than it does in Hong Kong. And also think about the expensive shuttles, the expensive and RARE courts, sigh:crying:. Anyway, enjoy it! thanks again :)