Racket broke need advice on a replacement

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Vigor, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Vigor

Vigor Regular Member

Hi

I'm hoping someone with more experience with racket buying and picking the right racket out can help me!
    I played with a Yonnex Swing Power Ti SS (I think that is the stiff model) for the last couple of years until the frame broke whilst playing this week (which was very annoying let me tell you!)

Anyway I am now trying to find a new racket as my backup racket is well rubbish I think....its not an ISO head and I prefer them. Plus the strings feel like a sponge!!!

I've been playing badminton for 8 years now and although I am not the strongest guy in the club I can whack up power when I need to, my best asset is probably the speed I move and general court coverage. As a result I usually reach drop shots quickly and need a racket that will allow me to return a drop or placement down the lines. Also need a racquet that will help with my smash and to place shots around the court with power and accuracy.

I know its probably difficult for people to advise without seeing me play but if anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful - as I am stumped at the amount of rackets and options out there.

If its any help - I have had a few Yonex rackets and see them as tried and tested incase someone knows of a racket from them.

Thanks
    Matthew

2. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Hello Vigor! welcome to badminton Forum!

You seem to be a pretty advanced player so im guessing you'd want a high end Yonex. Since you go to a club, why don't you try a few of your buddies' rackets out? In particular, try the MP 99, AT 800 OF/DE, NS 7,8K and such. U've use the Ti SS so i think MP 99 would suit you most. Perhaps the NS 8k? give them a try!

3. Vigor

Vigor Regular Member

Hi Manduki

Thanks for the advice - was thinking of a Muscle Power 99 as these seem to be well recommended. However the league I play in we now play more mixed doubles than any other form of match and someone said I should get a more whippy racket? Not sure if that is right, hoping someone with more experience could advise?

Thanks again
    Matthew

4. Vigor

Vigor Regular Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question, what does AT and NS stand for?

Cheers

5. ribroy

ribroy Regular Member

Hi Vigor, here are the abbreviations used for the current UK Yonex range;

NS > Nano Speed
    AT > Amortec
    MP > Muscle Power
    ISO > Iso Metric
    CAB > Carbonex

http://www.yonex.co.uk/products.aspx?category=Badminton

cheers!

6. Vigor

Vigor Regular Member

Ah yes - should have guessed that as I knew those names......dumb question indeed.....was early in the morning over here, so will blame it on that. :D

7. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

at300

hi vigor,
    if I remember correctly, there was some talk about the AT300 being the replacement for one of the Swing Power models. I can't find that post at this time, maybe some kind BC member could.

8. Matrix

Matrix Regular Member

Regional Sales Manager
    racket for badminton

Hi Matthew,
    Have u consider Yonex Ti 10? Do u like a heavy or medium light type of racket? Do u use to play single or double most of the time? Well, I had used MP99,MP100, NS7K, NS8K, AT 800 DEF n AT800OFF before, I find Yonex Ti 10 3UG5 is one of the best for single and double.If u like a heavier and stiffer one, then opt for 2U G5 then. Well, u got to get one n try out for yrself.Then, u feel no regret at all.:D
    Lee

#8 Matrix, Oct 5, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  9. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    since you want a nice whippy racket, why don't you try the NS 7k. It is an excellent racket with amazing speed. The powers not bad, controls not bad but the durability is apparently not too amazing (paint chip easily too). You can try the NS 8k which has good power, good control and nice and quick. However, if you want a little extra power and a little flexible racket, i'd recommend the AT 800 DE. Yes the name Defensive is a little misleading. It has an aerodynamic frame which allows for the quick whippyness yet has the head heavy frame which allows quite a lot of power.

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Manduki:

Just curious does the 800DE flex easily even thou it's classified as stiff?

11. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    The AT 800 DE is the most flexible racket of the high end Yonexes.

12. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Ahh I see thanks!

Yonexes? Must be a new word lol!

13. Vigor

Vigor Regular Member

Thanks guys for your help. Decided to go for and try the AT800DE. Looks good and seen some nice reviews about it - and it has come with some recommendation :).

14. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Cool deal! Let us know what you afterwards.