User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Dark Side

I think there are fundamental problems with synthetic shuttles that cannot be overcome. Principally rigidity. As soon as it is struck the thing deforms and takes all the"snap" out of the shot. Also the tragectory is totally different. My club has a junior section and we would not let them use synthetic. OK they're lucky because out of the several hundred dozen shuttles per season the senior club gets through we have enough decent used feathers for them to practice with. They would have to learn different hitting techniques. It is not easy to play proper wrist shots with synthetics. If you assume the juniors progress to a certain level you have to teach technique all over again when they start playing tournaments with feathers. Apart from that feathers are such great looking objects it sometines seem a shame to hit and damage them!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Dark Side

A brand new feather shuttle out of a brand new tube is quite beautiful. The sharp edges, the whiteness of the feathers, the smell of the cork and leather. The sound it makes coming off a tight strings. Then the inevitable happens... Oh, well there's another 11 of them in the tube.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default It should not be impossible

I believe that synthetic shuttle with better characteristics can be developed and produced. The key might be to use two different materials in the shuttle skirt. Now I will start to move on thin ice but anyway: how about 12 light and flexible metalic stripes embedded in nylon in positions of quills?

I think that IBF should offer a grant for development of cheap and more feather like synthetic shuttle. I am positive that good solution would help badminton to grow globaly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried the Gosen Gold S-200 shuttlecoks? Undoubtebly the best shuttlecoks I've played with for precision, flying course, distance, etc
    Give 'em a try, bet you'll stick with them for life once you have!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Badminton trying to change to synthetic birds: Gunalan

MUMBAI, NOV 16, 2006 (PTI)

The game of badminton is following the footsteps of other sports and trying to convert bird feather-made shuttles into synthetic ones, according to the Olympic sport's world body's top official Punch Gunalan.

Malaysian Gunalan, one of the foremost players of his time who is the deputy president of the Badminton World Federation (formerly International Badminton Federation), said that research is on to find the right synthetic material for making shuttles.

"Badminton is the only sport which requires a live creature for its equipment and the demand is more than the supply. Therefore we are in the process of developing a synthetic shuttle which will behave like the normal bird," he said.

Gunalan, who is here to watch the ongoing Indian International Badminton Tournament, said further, "Two of our scientists are doing research on developing this synthetic shuttle cock. The people from Yonex (leading badminton equipment suppliers) are also on the same job."

Gunalan said that the change from 15 to 21 points was done to make the games shorter and more interesting for the TV viewers.

"We had been losing out on TV viewer-ship due to the long drawn-out matches. Since we had changed the scoring pattern to 21 we have had fantastic response from television companies and viewers," he explained.

"Due to this change we have also earned a lot of money which we can put back into the game,' he added.
    ------------------------
    nice to know the scientists are working hard on this product

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't they make synthetic fibers to replicate the feathers? It'd be great if they could, I love feathers, but I dislike the feather plucking thingy, not to mention that it'd probably be more economical this way.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After I saw international game and how Sir DinksALot play, I would like to offer few of my opinions.

1) This thread has focus on the feather and its durability. The main issue is the feather shaft durability here.
    2) Why is the shaft fragile? My answer is the shaft is actually very string. The main issue here is the shaft break after miss hit. From my observation in our club, if there is no miss hit, a good feather shuttle (Victor Champ#1 or YY AS40) actually survive an entire game with no damage to the shaft.
    3) For international player or Sir Dinks, their string tension is so high and they are hitting so hard that no feather shuttle will last over 6 point w/o miss hitting anyway.
    4) Another factor we need to think about is the head of shuttle. It is made out of cork. The cork will get soft after a good game of smashing. Try a used perfectly good shuttle and a new shuttle out of the tube, you will see the difference. Check out the WC video, many time they replace a perfectly good shuttle because the cork is soft already.
    5) Why we need to have synth shuttle? Will it be better than the current YY AS50? Depend on what your def of better is. It will be more durable for sure. It will fly more consistant without testing from batch to batch. But it will not be more consistant than any tub of AS50. Will it have better fly path? No, AS50 has perfect flying path already, nothing can be better than perfect. Will it be cheaper, it has to be or no one will buy it.
    6) The biggest factor of synth feather shuttle is price. If I can mass produce the feather shuttle and reduce the cost of shuttle to $0.25 per shuttle, will we still have this discussion? No!

Badminton is an expensive sport for many people and I totally agree. It is more expensive than tennis. It is more expensive than pingpong. It is more expensive than racquet ball. But I love this game and I am welling to go out to dinner 1 time less for a good tub of shuttle. I am welling to work second job so I can sub the s/h for my club to use feather shuttle. So, for love of the game, just keep using feather and let the engineer figure it out!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok lets sum this up..

1) It would be really nice with a synthetic shuttle (less expensive than feather-shuttles) for the game..

2) Today there is no such thing as a good syntetic shuttle. Market leader Yonex plastic shuttles for example (Mavis370/350) are a joke and plays like s-t..

3) In utopia ther would be a cheap syntetic shuttle with proper trajectory, and non "foldable" shirt.

4) Trying to promote syntetics by "forcing" them onto badminton-players spoiled with using the feather shuttles with steep trajectory and different weight distribution, is a stupid idea!!!

5) First show us a good syntetic shuttle, then, and not before then we talk about replacing feathers.. right?!?

Another thing..

Cooler mentioned that he felt syntetics are more consistent than feathers. My experience is completely opposite.. dependent on temperature, storage, batch and production date (even difference between the batches of yellow or white mavises!!) the speed of the plastics varies Extremely!!

They also only come in 3 speeds fast,medium or slow.. compared to feathers witch you can get in speeds varying from 73,74,75,76,77,78,79,80!!

Most good feathers are rigourously quality tested to have right speed and flight pattern, I dont thing the platcis shuttles are quality assuered at all.. just pressed and put into tubes!!

Cheers,
    Twobeer
    Last edited by twobeer; 11-21-2006 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta get an engineer into this thread. It'd be great: Cheap, economical/ecological, consistent, superior, nylon birdies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering, if there is a slightly more flexible joining (where the feather joins the cork), will the feathers last longer on mis hits?

I really want to know why someone hasnt tried to make plastic feathers and use them.

Something interesting would be to get videos of matches (all levels) and see exactly how the feathers are breaking.

I believe that a mishit with the top of the racket hitting a vertically descending shuttle tends to kill the feather which the racket hit.
    So if the feather shaft was more flexy, would that solve the problem? I know that if it is flexy, it will behave differently from a normal shuttle under that particular mishit condition, but who cares, its a mishit anyway.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, and no. Yes, the shuttle feather might last longer. However, the feeather will claps during the smash or clear. The shuttle will become a fly right out of court. Also, the shaft can not be too hard and have too much strength because if you miss hit the frame, the frame will break.

May be we have Bio engineer here who can GE a super bird that can produce 2X grade A feather than current mother goose?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We need a scaffolding material for the shape of the feather. I wonder how GE can do that?

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart
    Yes, and no. Yes, the shuttle feather might last longer. However, the feeather will claps during the smash or clear. The shuttle will become a fly right out of court. Also, the shaft can not be too hard and have too much strength because if you miss hit the frame, the frame will break.

May be we have Bio engineer here who can GE a super bird that can produce 2X grade A feather than current mother goose?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gene engeneer those geese to produce more good feather at the same shape. More feather mean cheaper material cost. Same shape and quality means we can make it with machine and take labor issue out of eq. If we can buy grade A shuttle @ $5 or $6 a tube, many people will be happy too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I see! I was thinking of producing the feather from the test tube .

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about find a goose with 4 wings. we can clone it and double the production!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart
    how about find a goose with 4 wings. we can clone it and double the production!!!
    I really don't think all the work put into cloning and GE is productive in terms of money when US companies can mass "grow" geeses like they do with chickens and cows. It's probably just because the market is so small that it hasn't happened yet. Not to mention the labor cost.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said before and I will say it again. I vote for shooting Canadian geese and use their feather to make shuttle...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast