User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ha ha ha, Steven has a very good idea . Serioiusly, if modified spider silk can be produced synthetically, why not feather.

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart
    As I said before and I will say it again. I vote for shooting Canadian geese and use their feather to make shuttle...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im sure that given the right development budget an acceptable synthetic shuttle could be developed (not using nylon) but the cost would be huge and the commercial advantage would be short lived. Therefore most manufacturers will still strive for perfection using the available materials of goose feather or nylon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

synthetic shuttles are durable, they fly pretty well, but compared to using actual feather shuttles, feather shuttles are a lot more fun. Also you cant slice synthetic shuttles, becauses there are no feathers but a plastic skirt acting as wings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Li Ning New Hybrid Shuttlecock

LN is exploiting an old patent held by Prince which i think had expired or else LN wouldn't take on this remake. From the video, i see LN made some upgrade to the Prince's hybrid shuttlecock.

Chinese labor costs will not stop rising, badminton feather shuttles needed a new remake.
    This is more environmental friendly since only bad feathers being replaced, not needing to discard the whole shuttlecock that still have some good feathers on them. I have not tried it yet but I think performance (feel and flight) of this hybrid shuttle should comes very close to the current feather shuttles. I think this time it wouldn't fade away since LN has the staying power than Prince.

http://translate.google.com/translat...late.google.ca
    (sounds better if u have a good subwoofer)
    Last edited by cooler; 06-13-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    LN is exploiting an old patent held by Prince which i think had expired or else LN wouldn't take on this remake. From the video, i see LN made some upgrade to the Prince's hybrid shuttlecock.

Chinese labor costs will not stop rising, badminton feather shuttles needed a new remake.
    This is more environmental friendly since only bad feathers being replaced, not needing to discard the whole shuttlecock that still have some good feathers on them. I have not tried it yet but I think performance (feel and flight) of this hybrid shuttle should comes very close to the current feather shuttles. I think this time it wouldn't fade away since LN has the staying power than Prince.

http://translate.google.com/translat...late.google.ca
    (sounds better if u have a good subwoofer)
    Yes, I remember this one from Victor. There are several problems and I would like to point out.
    1) It is good for practice. Not very good for real game play. After a point, you break a feather, you stop between point and remove the feather and put a new on on. while the other 3 players take a tea break. Or you still have to buy 3 or 4 of these shuttles in case of feather break during the game.
    2) If I remember it right, you are suppose to buy or use the special feather, not the one you recycle from your used bird. If that is the case, what is the price of the replacement feather? Is it suppose 1/17 of the original shuttle?
    3) The weight distribution. Victor use plastic ring to hold the shuttles in place so it will not change the weight distribution. But the plastic ring crack easily. I assume LN use AL ring for durability. To keep the shuttle at 5g and compensate the heavier metal ring, the shuttle weight distribution will change and flight path is not going to be the same.
    4) Unless you can get all the feather line up in the right angle, the speed will very from 1 to next. It also wobble if you don't have it right.

Again, for practice, you can recycle the used shuttles. May be it is good to have the beginner kids to replace the feather as home work for the coach for free. Other wise, why bother?

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looks interesting. Surely a step in the right direction, in terms of reusing and recycling shuttles.

The ring looks plastic, not metal.

Hopefully, they have figured out how to orient the feathers properly so that flight remains consistent between feather changes.

Perhaps this 1st gen is good enough for practice, but I'm sure after a few gen of improvements, this will be used in tournaments and competitive play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silentheart View Post
    Yes, I remember this one from Victor. There are several problems and I would like to point out.
    1) It is good for practice. Not very good for real game play. After a point, you break a feather, you stop between point and remove the feather and put a new on on. while the other 3 players take a tea break. Or you still have to buy 3 or 4 of these shuttles in case of feather break during the game.
    2) If I remember it right, you are suppose to buy or use the special feather, not the one you recycle from your used bird. If that is the case, what is the price of the replacement feather? Is it suppose 1/17 of the original shuttle?
    3) The weight distribution. Victor use plastic ring to hold the shuttles in place so it will not change the weight distribution. But the plastic ring crack easily. I assume LN use AL ring for durability. To keep the shuttle at 5g and compensate the heavier metal ring, the shuttle weight distribution will change and flight path is not going to be the same.
    4) Unless you can get all the feather line up in the right angle, the speed will very from 1 to next. It also wobble if you don't have it right.

Again, for practice, you can recycle the used shuttles. May be it is good to have the beginner kids to replace the feather as home work for the coach for free. Other wise, why bother?
    those are valid points.
    I still think they were from Prince, not victor Victor had the balloon contraption. I have some old hybrid shuttles with me so i know it's Prince

1) this can be solve. One bring a tube or 2 of the hybrid shuttles like normal shuttles. You replace the damage one like in your normal play but now u just save the damage ones. At home, u can repair the damage shuttles at your leisure
    2) cost of the feather vanes is still unknown so i can't make more comment on this
    3) Prince use plastic ring, aluminum would be too stiff, stiffer than a real feather cage. I think the hollow cork base could be aluminum.
    4) this is the crux point, just replacing the feather vanes would not guarantee correct flight profile or consistent flight, even normal feather shuttlecocks need to be tested before sale.

I agree wif your view, this hybrid shuttles meant for recreational play to local tournaments. I doubt bwf would use it in their tournaments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3