Yet another String Machine Help Thread

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Wong8Egg, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Hey folks, I am in need of advices in buying my first string machine like many others. To begin with, I am looking for a middle class machine and I am willing to spend around $400 USD (w/o shipping), which eventually this machine should allows me to string for others in a regularly basis. The machine is also required to allow me to string fairly quickly (non-drop weight), has 4 points or more mountings and must be reliable.

Now, I am looking at the Eagnas EAG-350, which seems to be the machine that would fulfill my requirement and budgets. But with few concerns as the followings:

1.) Is Eagnas a reliable brand? There seems to be some complaints from the BCers.

2.) The side supports of this machine looks plastic, will it hold in long term?

3.) I have also read that spring assisted clamp base is much more handy in a string job, how does the EAG-350 design in comparison? Good, Fair, or sucks?

4.) Eagnas includes a toolkit along with most of its product, are they all the tools that I will needed? Any other tools I should look for?

5.) Most important question, is this machine any good? Will it fits my expectation? If not, any other suggested machine based on my budget and requirements?

Please help :eek:

2. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

3. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Anyone??????? :confused:

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The EAG-350 has fixed clamps which are better than swivel clamps, whether spring-assisted or not. However, the EAG-350's side supports are on fixed arms, which provides less adjustment than the Flex-940. The EAG-350 will provide a more secure clamping of the tensioned string and is faster than the Flex-940.

5. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

thanks Taneepak. Do you recommand this machine for my needs??? Any other brands / machine that is better and within this price range??

Sorry for all the questions. :p

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

My advice is to buy the cheapest machine with at least one fixed or swivel clamp. The best would be a 6-point holddown system with 4 adjustable side supports and two fixed clamps. Next would be the same type of holddown system machine with two spring-assisted swivel clamps, or the cheaper ones with conelock clamps. Suspension system with 4 adjustable side supports are equally good; the best with fixed clamps, then swivel clamps.
    I have no preference for one machine over the other. The cheapest one out of any of the above will do.

7. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Thanks taneepak

Guess i will settle with the EAG 350, although I still have some concerns with the side support that is using screws to tightening instead of a fixed one on Flex 940.

Before I am going to place my order, should I buy 2 fly clamps for backup. And what is a starter clamp that I read in many post yet I have no idea what that is??? On top of that, any tools I will be needed exclude those come with the machine?

8. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    With EAG-350 you don't need Fly clamp. Starter clamp is good to have.
    Within your $400 budget, EAG-860 is another good choice. It got many new feature.

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

so when you did a search you didn't find
    How to use a Starting Clamp ?

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Although a starting clamp is not used on an all fixed or swivel clamp machine for clamping tensioned strings-fixed clamps do a better job-it can be useful as a "jumper" for strings that are too short to reach the gripper. With this machine you don't need any flying clamp.

12. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Thanks, I don't even know that such model exist. Do you know what are the keys differenes between this and the 350? Beside the color and the leg???

Any starter clamp you recommand?

13. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I got one from Eagnas and it has been fine.

14. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

From browsing this and other stringing forums, it appears that the most recommended starting clamps are RAB http://www.grandslamstringers.com, Alpha (http://www.alphatennis.com) and Babolat http://www.babolat.com.

The Babolat is very good and quite expensive. I myself use an Alpha and am very satisfied with it. Never slips and doesn't mark the string. The RAB should be very similar to the Alpha and people at GSS are a pleasure to deal with, as do people at Alpha.

FWIW, HTH.

#14 Quasimodo, Oct 11, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2005