Starting to play competitively

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Squirter, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Squirter

Squirter Regular Member

Hey guys, I've been playing recreational badminton, playing for my high school team, and taking lessons, and I want to take it to the next level and start playing competitively. Unfortunately, I don't know where to start. Can anyone help me out? Maybe you could tell how you started to play more seriously and competitively. I'm 15 btw.

(btw, I posted here after posting this question in the Eastern Canada forum b/c I don't think my question is just limited to Canada.)

2. adidas_lee

adidas_lee Regular Member

Regional sales manager
    playing competitvely

Hi Squirter,
    If u are serous about this game, u should get someone professional to coach u. U have to strengthen yr footwork, build up yr stamina, polish n have correct strokes play with agility.Then come next the strokes placement and deception.The bascis are strength,speed,strong arms,hands wrist power and legs. With consistent and continuous practise, u are on the way to beat others.;) Good luck guy.:D
    Adidas
    TE=Squirter]Hey guys, I've been playing recreational badminton, playing for my high school team, and taking lessons, and I want to take it to the next level and start playing competitively. Unfortunately, I don't know where to start. Can anyone help me out? Maybe you could tell how you started to play more seriously and competitively. I'm 15 btw.

(btw, I posted here after posting this question in the Eastern Canada forum b/c I don't think my question is just limited to Canada.)[/QUOTE]

#2 adidas_lee, Oct 6, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  3. Squirter

Squirter Regular Member

Hey, thanks for your response. Getting a coach or private lessons are good ideas, but they're pretty expensive. I'm not too concerned on the technique and fitness part. I'm concerned more on how to get involved and started in playing competitively.

Thanks and more help would be appreciated. :)

-Squirter

4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    um playing competitively is usually only possible if you are using the proper techniques, or prevent injury as well as to enable you to get better. If you are not fit, then 12 year old girls with better technique and fitness will run you off the court (competitively).

Sorry this doesn't answer you question as to where to look/play to get involved competitively, but it would help to get up to a similar level while looking for a more competitive place to play, otherwise you'll have a lot more to catch up!

5. adidas_lee

adidas_lee Regular Member

Regional sales manager
    playing competitively

Hi Squirter,
    When u engage a coach, he or she will obviously impart his/her skills to u. One of the components of training will usually be agility,techniques and footwork. To play this game competitively, u need to be fit to enjoy the game. If not, u may run out of "gas" pretty fast n yr opponent will thrash u then.:crying: There are so many fitness components in need. Yr legs, yr arms, yr hands, yr wrists and yr fingers all have to be tip top conditions.:eek: U have to be fit to enjoy d game:D
    Adios
    Adidas

#5 adidas_lee, Oct 10, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  6. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Go get in competitive playing! You'll enjoy it =)

But you ought to get a coach.. a coach gives tips and coaches things that you cannot learn on your own.. unlike school, you need the coach.

How? Look around the badminton halls, check out posters/banners on any upcoming tournaments. There's bound to be some.

Sure, you can join without getting a proper coach.. but you wouldn't like to get thrashed by anyone, would you? ;)

7. noluckjim

noluckjim Regular Member

Student
    Perhaps the first defeat may spur the drive to get a coach? :)

But in any event, a good coach should also have some local knowledge as to what tournaments are running and where, and from their experience should know how well you stand (or don't stand) competively.

Alternatively if you forgo the coach but still wish to play competitively, just sign your name up to any competition that you can enter (and make sure you turn up too). This is not a bad way to see how you compare, but it may not be so fun either if 12 yr old girls run you off the court :)

(jk... proper tournaments would never have that happening)

(Watch out if it isn't a proper tournament though :rolleyes: )

8. Matrix

Matrix Regular Member

Regional Sales Manager
    Playing competitively

Hi,
    Agreed that u need to get a coach and train yrself up. When u enter a competition, it will be a different matter altogether. I saw some guys who play beautiful games during our casual sessions. when they play in competitions,when paly all the rubbish shots. They just too tense and nervous in their games. :eek: As a result, disastrous outcomes.........being knock out:crying: So, there is something yr coach find a bit difficult to impart to u......i.e. mental strength to withstand competition's pressure due to crowb, environment n d atmosphere at the spot.So many eyes watching u:eek: bcome stage fright!!!!:eek: So, many guys find it is hard to have relax mind to deal with this kind of situation.:p So, experience will help.If u can stay relaxed, yr game will improve.
    Matrix:D

9. Squirter

Squirter Regular Member

Thanks for all the comments. I see that mostly all agree on getting a coach. For the people who have a coach, how much do you pay her/him? And could you convert the cost into canadian $ :D

Also, I guess you can consider private lessons as coaching?

10. AT800OF

AT800OF Regular Member

Coaches

Hey, not all coaches are equal... So check before you pay for too many lessons.

On another note, I think if you watched some videos of top world players playing in world class tournaments, you get an idea of how competitive plays look like. So next time you get wasted you'd know why. haha. :p

11. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    Since you are in Toronto, have you checked Lee's or Mandarin? They both have coaches on staff. However, I have heard that you can only join one or the other. I guess there is a wedge between these 2 clubs.
    Another location to check or ask for help is OBA (Ontario Badminton Association). I am sure they can give some suggestion.

12. Normand

Normand Regular Member

check the provincial association

Hi Squirter

Although getting a personnal coach will help you, I would suggest that you check withnyou're provincial associatin to get the clubs in youre area. Usually these will hava competent coach and the training is not one on one but you should still get suffisant training. If you check on www.badminton.ca site they have all the associations adresses.

good luck

Norm