HK's Uber Cup Team

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cup 2002' started by edwin, Feb 26, 2002.

1. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Do you know whether HK is planning to go with the same Uber Cup Team when they play in China in May? When they now have to play against Teams like China, Denmark, and Germany (and Korea again), will Wang Chen, Ling Wan Ting, and Koon Wai Chee all have the energy to play both singles and doubles? Or is HK planning on training players only intesively in women's doubles between now and May?

Besides these 3 players and Li Wing Mui, is there any players from HK who is talented in women's doubles and can compete effectively in international scene? Has Chan Mei Mei retired? Does HK has any other rising stars?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You'd have to ask Chan Chi Choi for the answers to the questions in your first paragraph.

Chan Mei Mei is now studying in UK.

3. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Thanks Cheung, but can I assume that Chan Chi Choi doesn't use the internet, thus he wouldn't be reading this forum? I guess this means I'll have to wait until May before I'll find out whether HK will go with the same team.

And thanks for letting me know about Chan Mei Mei's news.

4. Shuen

Shuen Guest

Ling Wang Ting has raised her standard, see what an import good player like Wang Chen could do ! Hongkong has proved to be with the rest of the Badminton elite countries.

5. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    But Ling Wan Ting has always been a very talented player. Wang Chen's arrivial has definitely helped her raise her level of play, but she still needs to be a good mentor to other players as well so that HK would have a stronger depth.

On the Men's side, when will Agus Haryanto retire? When he does, HK need somebody to fill in his shoes badly. Without him, Tam Kai Chuen, Ma Che Kong
    and Yau Kwun Yuen, HK's Men Team doesn't look as strong as it was back in 2000 and 2001.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ling Wan Ting did say on TV that a problem with training was the lack of opponents to practise against in training sessions. Since that time, Ye Zhao Ying and Ellen Angelina have spent time with the HK squad.

I guess Agus doesn't even know himself when he will retire.