I broke my achilles tendon

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Mark, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Mark

Mark Guest

when I was playing my weekly competition. My question is, has anyone also broke the achilles tendon and is it possible to come back in the same, good, old shape?

If anyone has some tips or exercises to do, please let me know.

Thanks a lot!
    Mark.

2. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    I knew someone , in his late 20's or early 30's, who broke his achille tendons. He was able to make a comeback and got back to where he was before his injury.

I don't know any exercise that will help with your recovery (your physiotherapist may help you with that though), but I do suggest that you can lift weights (work on your shoulders, chest, bicepts, tricepts) with dumbells or do any exercise that doesn't involve your injured leg so that you can keep yourself in good physical condition while you're recovering. Bench pressing in a weight room will also help.

Best of luck on your recovery. It is frustrating when you're injured and can't play badminton, but your injury will heal. One you put your mind to it and wtrain the same way you've always been training, you'll get back into good shape.

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Ouch! You will be out for quite a while! A friend of mine detached his tendon while playing tennis. He was out for about 10 months but was functioning properly after. You just have to be patient and do your physiotherapy as laid down by the therapist. Don't rush things. It's better to have the injury heal properly before doing anything stenous.

After the recovery, you might want to ask either your doctor or the therapist on suggestions on how to prevent future injury (e.g. ankle brace).

Good luck with the recovery.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The most well known example of this injury was a guy called Boris Becker. He had this injury when he was about 17 years old and came back to win Wimbledon a couple of years later..
    I think I was watching that match in which he injured himself.

5. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    I think that Boris won the Wimbledon when he was 17. It is still the tournament record. Did he win more than once in Wimbledon?

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Mark, I'm surprised you don't already know the answers to your questions. You have seen a doctor, I hope? If not, you must. This is a serious injury.

If the tear is small you will probably only need a cast or a splinter and crutches for 6-10 weeks. If the tear is big or you have a total rupture, you'll need surgery too. In any case, this injury always needs a careful excercise programme. It's the only way if you're gonna recover. But your doctor or phsyiotherapist should have informed you of this already.

Everyone heal at a different rate. It's impossible to say when you'll be able to play badminton. It's not a question of so-or-so many weeks -- it's when your tendon has fully recovered. Full recovery is when you have full range of motion, full strength, and can jog, jump and sprint at different speeds and in different direction without feeling any pain. If you rush things it can lead to permanent damage. I would be surprised if you can return to badminton within 6 months, a year sounds more realistic.

Excercises (once the cast or splint is gone) generally consist of stretching during the first weeks, then once the sharp tendon pain is gone you can take up toe raises, heel raises and one-leg balance excercises. Swimming, or later on, water running, is also good for rehabilitation. But again, your doctor or physio should work out an excercise program for you.

A rupture of the achilles tendon is about as bad luck as you can have as a badminton player. I sympathise with you deeply and hope for a successful recovery.

7. knock-out

knock-out Guest

I know a few people personally who have ruptured their achilles tendon and made full recoveries. Don't despair, with a good work ethic you'll be back. You've recieved good advice already, so I'm just writing for encouragement. I don't know if you know of Dominique Wilkins, one of the most famous NBA players who played at the same time as Michael Jordan, so he didn't get as much attention. He completely ruptured his tendon and fully recovered and continued to play hoops. Good Luck

8. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Hi Mark,

Since so many have written to give you proper medical advice, I suppose I juz wanna say good luck!

For the heck of it anyway... I had a sprain in my right archilles tendon about 4 years back. It wasn't a serious injury but because I didn't take good care of it, I continued feeling the pain when I went running or when the weather was cold for the next one or two years. It doesn't bother me now but there was a time when I always felt as though my foot was abt to come off - esp after shopping for 5 hours. =P

Erm... that's about it I guess...

Take Care,
    Adel
    (still posting)

9. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    i've just come out of plaster after rupturing my achilles tendon and had the surgery to repair.. check out my blog for pics or the damage.
    http://cybermanachillesheel.blogspot.com

i'm going doing my stretching exercises religiously now to get it back to normal length in time for when i start physio in 4 weeks. hoping to be fit again for next season (September 08) long long lay off

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Wow, the skin looked bad. Amazing that you ruptured it with only a bit of stress. Did you have a sore tendon beforehand?

Good luck with your rehab and hopefully we'll see you with some great badminton photos.

11. coops241180

Product Owner
    i know - i felt like a complete fraud when i was in the hospital explaining what had happend. wasn't particularly sore - calf and hamstring on that leg had been a little tight, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I've not been out of plaster long so i'm hoping it will clear up over the next few weeks..

Well it's xmas morning here in the UK now.. merry xmas to everybody on BC. i'll keep you all posted with how my badders pics go and how my achilles rehab goes. Merry Xmas!

12. Loren

Loren New Member

College Registrar
    Two months ago I was playing a fast, hard doubles game, lunged in for a killing shot and found myself on the floor wondering who or what had fallen on the back of my leg. It took a week to finally diagnose the fact that I had done a complete rupture of my Achilles. So now after surgery, four weeks in a fiberglass cast and another four in a cast-boot I am wondering when I will ever play my beloved badminton again!! Is there life after an Achilles rupture?

13. coops241180

Product Owner
    Woop! i'm allowed to start going the gym again, achilles is healed, just gotta break up the scar tissue and get the strength back in my leg after 13 weeks off. i've got physio once a week.
    Sadly - no badminton for at least three months - restricted to sports that don't involve twisting and pivotting.. (that'd be badminton then :) )
    look out local badminton halls - i'm coming baaaaaccckkk!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

14. Loren

Loren New Member

College Registrar
    Way to go! I'm just a little jealous. I've still got 4 weeks to go in my cast-boot. All the best.

15. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Good luck. You had surgery..wow it must have been a bad rupture!

16. coops241180

Product Owner
    yeah - it was a total rupture.. ah well - on the mend now.

17. ThinkRiver

ThinkRiver Regular Member

Making sure you will have completely recovered before your coming back, because if you don't make your achilles tendon recovered completely, it will be injured easily in your future competation.

BTW, when I was had some kind of injured such as fracture or sprain I would prefer traditional chinese medicine.Anyway, going to visit your doctor first.

Good Luck with your recovery

18. coops241180

Product Owner
    oh yeah - well the season doesn't start until september, so plenty of time to recover properly. not planning to go on court until late april / early may..
    and even then - it'll be slow - i'd prefer to get to my former level of cardio fitness than going onto court too soon.

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

My sincere sympathies to you, sir. :(

My recent shoulder surgery was bad enough, but your Achilles injury sounds much worse. I do hope you make a full recovery.

20. denizen

denizen New Member

Achilles tendon rupture 2 days ago.

Coops, I hope you've made a full recovery. Thanks for your blog. It was informative.
    I completely ruptured my achilles tendon 2 days ago playing basketball. I'll probably be having surgery this coming week. Sigh! I'll post pictures throughout this ordeal as well.

I've started to write about my experiences as well. Please take a look
    http://valuemavens.com/mvnblog/