Trip to Korea

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by splinter, Oct 12, 2005.

1. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    Hi,, I would be going to South Korea soon and i just want to find out a few things about it.. oh btw.. this has nothing to do with badminton though..

1) the things that i cant do there (for example, cannot talk about certain stuff, my actions and stuff like that)

2) The things to beware of like maybe, cannot walk along the streets after midnight or stuff like that and the unwritten rules that the majority follows.

3)finally, the great bargains i can get be it badminton stuff , souvenirs or food.. (maybe local brands or something)

just hoping to make the best out of the trip.. Thanks for the info!

2. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

LOL~ you sounds like you are going to north Korea rather than the South. :p

3. event

event Regular Member

pus
    Considering there are only a few of us on here with experience in Korea and I don't really know where to begin, I might suggest some more general sources for English-language forums about Korea:

http://pusanweb.com/

http://www.worknplay.co.kr/

http://englishspectrum.com/

The forums and FAQs on these sights have the kinds of questions you asked only generally more specific

4. event

event Regular Member

I have no idea whether Korea will have brands or prices that will be better than what you can get in Singapore. There is a lot more available online than in the shops and I have never found the prices to differ greatly so checking online will give you an idea of whether you're likely to find a deal if you actually go shopping. Check one of these online shops for products and prices:

http://www.badmintonmall.com/

http://www.hiclear.co.kr

There are lots more but these are the easiest on which to navigate the products. Just go by the English labels or by the words in the URL that show up in your browser's status bar.

5. splinter

splinter Regular Member

Student
    Event.. Thanks dude.. great help!

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The shops at Dongdaemun offer good prices for sports related items. :) I love to shop there.

7. event

event Regular Member

That's right. Specifically near the Dongdaemun Stadium subway stop (Lines 2,4 and 5) there are lots of sport shops with plenty of deals. Virtually none of them are specialized, however, so most have every thing from racquets to inline skates to barbells to treadmills. In terms of badminton, don't expect anything but racquets and maybe shoes and one brand of shuttles if you're lucky. As a rule, I've found more variety of clothing at shops next to gyms but nothing like what you see online.

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    What's the price of Ti-10 Kr in that area? In USD . . .

9. event

event Regular Member

One online shop has it for 180,000won or US$170. Other places charge US$179. I bought one at that price in 2000 around Dongdaemoon Stadium so I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it cheaper at a store than online. It broke before I joined this forum and learned the tricks for spotting a fake, but it served me well for the couple of years before the mid-air collision.

The actual Yonex Mall site wants 250,000won for it, though. The cheaper places are pretty established, though. The stuff sold around the stadium might be fake but I find it hard to believe that the ones at all the online places could be.

10. atesol

atesol New Member

American TESOL

A great resource for teaching English is Korea is American TESOL Institute. They provide Job Placement through out Korea.

www.AmericanTESOL.com