A Drill

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by MikeD, Oct 12, 2005.

1. MikeD

MikeD Regular Member

Landscaper During Summer
    Hi, I've been put in a coaching position over the last few weeks and have come up with a drill that I think has alot of benefit for an intermediate player, but I would like to hear everyones 2 cents on it.

The basic idea behind it, is it is front and back (dropshot, netshot and repeat) with one exception, instead of doing it straight forward, you do it on an angle so you actually end up taking the crosscourt dropshot on your backhand. The drill is very physically demanding because of the extreme amount of court space you have to run. Looking forward to reading everyones comments.

Thanks, Mike.

2. markburry_90

markburry_90 Regular Member

Do you mean:

Player starts at the base, does a backhand dropshot from the backhand corner, then moves in for a forehand net shot at the forhand corner of the net? If so, then the player is moving in a diagonal, up and back.

I think this is a excellent drill for coaching intermediates:D...not beginners.

To do this drill, you have to know the footwork, which beginners do not.

Also, the player feeding the NET BIRDS on the opposite side of the net should feed the birds faster than it would actually happen in a game.

This forces the player to practice fast, so that actual games seem easier.

I always Remember: Practice faster than in a game, so the games are easy.:D

3. MikeD

MikeD Regular Member

Landscaper During Summer
    That's exactly what I mean. Thank's for clarifying for the others.

4. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Wow MikeD, you're a tough coach :crying: drilling backhand cross-court drops to intermediate players!

If you want to kick it up notch...the drill does not have to continuously go front & back, front & back (diagonally), but the feeder has the option to play consecutive forehand nets or backhand corner clears (two spots only).

Your feeder must have strong clears and good net shots in order to maintain the drill.

Cheers!

5. terror

terror Regular Member

sounds good...

are your trainees able to get at least beside the shuttle when going for the backhand or are only able to cover part of the required distance and thus taking the shot in an awkward position? know it depends on the speed of your feeding but wonder if u go faster than they can take so as to push em to move faster?