Questions about rules

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by westsideweiming, Oct 13, 2005.

1. westsideweiming

westsideweiming Regular Member

There are some grey areas about the official badminton rules that I'd like cleared up. Some of my friends are perpetrators of these acts, and I want to be absolutely sure when I call them on these.

1. When serving, you can't balk or fake a move. But some of my friends shake their racquet a bit right before they serve. Many of them even unintentionally wave the racquet around in small, serving motions, right before they serve. The shaking is probably not illegal, but I'm pretty sure the waving is illegal. The rulebook doesn't specify the legality of unintentional movements of the racquet. Can anyone clear this up?

2. It's illegal to for any part of your body to cross onto your opponent's side of the court if it obstructs the opponent in any way. My friend always does this annoying thing where his body goes into the net when he's retrieving netshots. Is it illegal for your body to touch the net during play?

3. This shot happens to everyone once in a while: you go for a shot but for some reason your racquet doesn't hit the bird cleanly. You sort of "hook" the bird, and it goes off in a weird and unpredictable trajectory. Or the bird makes contact with your racquet twice. I think this is illegal, but I'm not sure. If it is legal, then what's preventing someone from catching the bird with his racquet, and then flicking it at the opponent? It's basically the same thing.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    There are some grey areas about the official badminton rules that I'd like cleared up. Some of my friends are perpetrators of these acts, and I want to be absolutely sure when I call them on these.

1. When serving, you can't balk or fake a move. But some of my friends shake their racquet a bit right before they serve. Many of them even unintentionally wave the racquet around in small, serving motions, right before they serve. The shaking is probably not illegal, but I'm pretty sure the waving is illegal. The rulebook doesn't specify the legality of unintentional movements of the racquet. Can anyone clear this up?
    9.1.7 the movement of the server’s racket shall continue forwards from the start of the service (Law 9.4) until the service is delivered;
    9.4 Once the players have taken their positions, the first forward movement of the server’s racket head shall be the start of the service.
    9.5 Once started (Law 9.4), the service is delivered when the shuttle is hit by the server’s racket or, in attempting to serve, the server misses the shuttle.

2. It's illegal to for any part of your body to cross onto your opponent's side of the court if it obstructs the opponent in any way. My friend always does this annoying thing where his body goes into the net when he's retrieving netshots. Is it illegal for your body to touch the net during play?
    13.4 if, in play, a player:
    13.4.1 touches the net or its supports with racket, person or dress;
    13.4.2 invades an opponent’s court over the net with racket or person except as permitted in Law 13.3;
    13.4.3 invades an opponent’s court under the net with racket or person such that an opponent is obstructed or distracted; or
    13.4.4 obstructs an opponent, ie prevents an opponent from making a legal stroke where the shuttle is followed over the net;

3. This shot happens to everyone once in a while: you go for a shot but for some reason your racquet doesn't hit the bird cleanly. You sort of "hook" the bird, and it goes off in a weird and unpredictable trajectory. Or the bird makes contact with your racquet twice. I think this is illegal, but I'm not sure. If it is legal, then what's preventing someone from catching the bird with his racquet, and then flicking it at the opponent? It's basically the same thing.
    13.6 if, in play, the shuttle:
    13.6.1 is caught and held on the racket and then slung during the execution of a stroke;
    13.6.2 is hit twice in succession by the same player with two strokes;

*BUT not if it is hit twice in a single shot as per "Recommednations to Court Officials";
    Law 13.6: a double hit by one player with one stroke is not a ‘fault’.

3. westsideweiming

westsideweiming Regular Member

Thanks for the reply. I attribute the patently obviousness of my questions to my ignorance. I actually read through the rulebook on worldbadminton.net right after I made that post, and answered my own questions.

4. majyun

majyun Regular Member

Sorry for reviving this but I have a question which is related to body touching the net when retrieving a net shot. According to law 13.4.1 , a player received a fault when touches the net. However, it came to my confusion why this law didn't apply when I was watching a few videos of LCW performing a netkill. There have been a few occasions where LCW would dive to the net(left hand side of his net) to perform a netkill and his body was clearly in contact with the net after he completed the stroke.

For example, check out minute 1:09 and 1:22 of this video(in his 2008 Thomas cup match against Lin Dan when he scored his 13th points in the first set). He was touching the net with his elbow after the netkill, yet he still scored a point. I am just wondering if this was just a mistake made by umpire? Or was it an exception?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlzakQ1ZccI&feature=related

You might argued that the contact with the net is not obvious in this video, but I did see(can't remember which match) LCW performing the same strokes with his shoulder literally landing into the net due to his momentum and yet he was not fault for this(cause he scored a point by doing that).

I would appreciate if anyone could be kind enough to help me with this.

#4 majyun, Nov 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  5. druss

druss Regular Member

Touching the net is only a fault if the shuttle is still in play. If a net shot is made and the shuttle has touched the ground the point is over and touching the net is no longer a fault.

Keep in mind that most of the rules in badminton are affected by other rules, which ever occurs first is the rule that applies.

6. majyun

majyun Regular Member

Thank you so much for the answer. That brings another question, does that count as a fault if LD managed to get the netkill back regardless of whether the shuttle cross over the net? What I mean is, if LD managed to contact his racket with the shuttle(shuttle still in play then) while LCW was touching the net. Then the point should logically be given to LD right? regardless of weather LD managed to block the shuttle to LCW's side of court.

7. forgeron

forgeron Regular Member

blacksmith
    Yes- LCW did end up touching the net, so if the play had extended till he touched the net he would have lost the point. As was it seemed a pretty close thing, he was very close to touched the net before the shuttle hit the gound.

What about LD's serve in that point- wasn't there double action there?

8. druss

druss Regular Member

If LD had managed to contact the shuttle and put it back into play then yes LCW would have been at fault.

9. majyun

majyun Regular Member

Thanks for the replies. Appreciate it.