User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brave_Turtle

It's easy to say x player is childish just because she quit in the middle of the game, but if it was me, i would rather leave in the middle of the game then letting cheaters win over me.
    by quitting, you are letting the cheaters win more easily....after all, u losing/defaulting is what they want

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by other
    by quitting, you are letting the cheaters win more easily....after all, u losing/defaulting is what they want
    You don't get my point. My point is that, we can't comment on what Wang Chen did was good or wrong since we don't know exactly what really hapenned that day.

However, If what she is saying is true... Then she should fight for her cause.

Quote Originally Posted by red00ecstrat
    i don't think players there were cheaters. may be lyb is the only cheater behind all this! may be those umpires and the chinese national championship officials as well! god knows!
    one thing i m quite sure. those badminton players had nothing to do with the baised judgment!
    You could be right but I'm not wrong either, ''if'' (I say if because once again we don't know what really hapenned that day) the fact were really obvious that the umpire were in favour of the other player and the other player hasnt done anything to stop it, then she is also considered a cheater.

Now of course, this situation becomes different in real life. Of course, most ppl including the players will not say anything if the umpire made a decision in favour of you even tough you know the bird is slightly in or out but that still make her a cheater in the real sense of the term.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't get my point. My point is that, we can't comment on what Wang Chen did was good or wrong since we don't know exactly what really hapenned that day.

However, If what she is saying is true... Then she should fight for her cause.
    if she was wrong, and that there was no organised conspiracy against her....just some dodgy line calls, then she is letting the "cheating line judge" win by not playing

if she was right, and the whole court of officials were plotting against her, waking off would still let them win

if it was a genuine error that caused the bad calls, then walking off....well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if she was wrong, and that there was no organised conspiracy against her....just some dodgy line calls, then she is letting the "cheating line judge" win by not playing

if she was right, and the whole court of officials were plotting against her, waking off would still let them win

if it was a genuine error that caused the bad calls, then walking off....well...
    The cheating was in semi and Wang Chen did fight to the last point, but lost the game. She gave up at brown metal playoff by walking off the court right after starting of the game. This was for protesting. She won brown metal when she was 18 (12 years ago) at 7th Chinese National game. So winnig brown metal again did not mean much to her. HK was not in Chinese 8th and 9th national game. This was her only chance to win a gold to prove herself to LYB the bad pick years ago. Off course, LYB would not let this happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You finally got my point

All we can do is speculate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if she thought there was an injustice, then she should make a complaint to the governing authorities, and at least to her badminton organisation.

All she did was let off some steam to the press.

It's the comment she made about "them not letting her win" which I frown upon.

We know all sorts of things go on in China, behind its curtains, but to suggest the whole country, or at least the badminton association is conspiring against her...

Presumably she is keeping her lips tight now, for fear of being ambushed or someone put oil on her side of the court?

She beat the hot favourite for the title, so she in turn became one of the top contenders, but did she underestimate or not give enough respect to her opponent, who was on great form.

I think her emotion got the better of her on the day. Of course we don't know what exactly happened at the moment, but there is only so much you can rig on a court.

Let us assume for one moment that the judges were conspiring against her.

She could have been faulted on her serve, faulted receiving, touching the net, her shots called out, her opponent's shot called in...etc , but we only have reports that said she got some disagreeable line calls.

Now, if I was her, and she really wanted to win the match, she could reduce the 'cheating judge factor', by playing more shots on her baseline unless they were out by more than an undisputable 12 inches. If a shot was called out by the same line judge more than twice, then assume he/she is not trustworthy, then avoid playing to that area or reduce your margin for error, or ask Judges to be replaced. She will have more of a case to protest with.

Now she could have chose to battle it out and prove her critics wrong, with a low percentage of winning, or giving up with 0% chance.

She officially retired due to injury? but she had to add the comments above, after she chose to retire from the match. Was it necessary? was it childish?

She is Chinese herself, to distance herself from her homeland and people, her fans in China...must mean there are serious negative issues, I don't think it has anything to do with the HK/China divide, because she can't really be considered HKese. In any case, whatever the underlying problem is, it doesn't look like something that could be sorted out in one badminton tournament.

If they really hated her that much before, surely they would have objected her move to HK, or only let her go to somewhere like Africa or Iceland, lol. Surely 'they' would have known, she would come back to haunt them?

All this talk about not playing in China again, What about the Beijing Olympics 2008?

I am not anti-Wang Chen by the way. Not usually

It would be nice to get some comments from her. Maybe if I ever bump into her, I'll ask her for her side of the story

edit: looks like I got mixed up with some of the results, but my comments still stand
    Last edited by Wizbit; 10-20-2005 at 11:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally i don't think its wrong for Wang Chen to speak her mind to the press after the game. Everybody does that. Its up to us to do the intrepetation. However i dont think it is right for her to walk off the game for the reason of Biased Decisions. It is not fair for her opponent since her opponent does nothing wrong. IMO Wang Chen should finish the game to show the spirit of sportmanship. After that she can do whatever she wants.. complain etc...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants
    Personally i don't think its wrong for Wang Chen to speak her mind to the press after the game. Everybody does that. Its up to us to do the intrepetation. However i dont think it is right for her to walk off the game for the reason of Biased Decisions. It is not fair for her opponent since her opponent does nothing wrong. IMO Wang Chen should finish the game to show the spirit of sportmanship. After that she can do whatever she wants.. complain etc...
    Concur, classy post Ants.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You finally got my point

All we can do is speculate
    duh and u didnt get my point....

which is that whatever happened (which im not too worried about since no one knows and she isnt saying anything) i think she should not have walked off for the reasons i put above.

esecially walking off a bronze medal playoff....i mean if she wanted to prove LYB wrong, then at least getting the bronze medal, bring 1 bronze for HK, have her name as the bronze medallist (i mean who remembers the losing bronze medal playoffs {in general}) would still be a way of saying that "i can play just as well as the others......"

walking off doesnt achieve anything much for her, expect a bit of publicity

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever you call it or however you see it, Wang Chen has displayed poor sportsmanship and a touch of cowardice. Walking off by officially feigning an injury and then turning around the next moment "for a stab in the back" by using the media to announce her real reason for walking off is an insult to her opponent and the game of badminton. She should have either finished her bronze medal match and then complain or just forfeit the match without taking to the courts. Has she looked at this from her opponent's side?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just think that playing in china natonal championship is very different emotionally for players like WC. in fact for players who left china and went back to play against chinese players prove to be enormous emotional task to them. it is difficult for WC to take the pain in this tournament because she can't handle the emotion. there's nothing to question about her professionalism. professionalism prevails only under circumstances where rationality prevails. but once you get personal, and that's just human nature, things really get out of hand. this whole incident just showed that WC is still having a very strong emotonal-tie with mainland china...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wizbit
    Well, if she thought there was an injustice, then she should make a complaint to the governing authorities, and at least to her badminton organisation.
    There are rumours that her coach knew there's "something wrong" from the very beginning (from the draw to the reserved court SF) . There are rumours that her coach had no guts to submit official complaints to the organiser.

Let me repeat that all the above are rumours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally i hope Wang Chen should finish the 3rd fight & i believe that she can get the bronze medal in normal condition.
    i know she feel very angry after the semi final..as i said b4, i did never see wang chen losing her temper in front of TV. when interviewing by TVB from HK, she really like a 'little gal' that complaining the china badminton assoication. & i understand how angry she was when TVB replay their own recording showing the most biased judgement of the game(the ball out the baseline for more than 10cm i think, even the camera is not in parallel with the baseline)
    as a china badminton fans & HK people i am really not happy to see this..all the comments from LYB are based on his thought only, he didn't see that match but he concludes that the judges had no problem because the judges is FAIR in other matches he saw. wot a silly conclusion?!

However, i think Wang Chen shouldn't withdraw the 3rd fight with the excuse of her injury and then express all her complaint in front of the media. If she really want to walk out the game to express her bad feeling, she should do that b4 the match started. once she starts the match, she should finish it to show her sportsmenship i think.
    (the another point is the coach of HK team Mr Chan chi-choy said Wang Chen feeling bad after semi-final & can't sleep at that night, he encourage WC to play the last game. maybe WC wanna withdraw the match at the beginning but her coach disagree. perhaps we all misunderstand WC lack of sportsmenship when she withdrew in the middle of the match but it is not her own will)

anyway we won't know the truth & i feel sad because WC is already 30 but she can't prove herself in her own country. this is really a great chance esp. she beated world #1 XXF & Zhang Ning, Gong RN, Gong ZC are not in gd condition. Also i can tell HK ppl are not fully support WC as she is not 'real' HK ppl, most of HK newspaper disagree her attitude after her withdrawal. i think more aggressive reaction will be made by the press & HK olmypic asso. if such biased judgement happened in other HK born players.

btw, because china open is held by IBF & LYB can't play 'tricks' towards her, WC said she will still play for china open but not china master,national championships or national games, so as the 2008 olympic games(if she is still active players in 2008). but i think 2008 is too harsh for her as she will be 33 already, maybe 2006 asian game will be the chance for her to prove herself in front of china national team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kam
    There are rumours that her coach knew there's "something wrong" from the very beginning (from the draw to the reserved court SF) . There are rumours that her coach had no guts to submit official complaints to the organiser.

Let me repeat that all the above are rumours
    agree! HK badminton team has very bad relationship with china badmintion asso. after Wang Chen came to HK. we can understand that HK coach doesn't wanna worsen the relationship because of Wang Chen & esp. Chan chi-choy is a 'no guts' man

all the above are rumours too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Whatever you call it or however you see it, Wang Chen has displayed poor sportsmanship and a touch of cowardice. Walking off by officially feigning an injury and then turning around the next moment "for a stab in the back" by using the media to announce her real reason for walking off is an insult to her opponent and the game of badminton. She should have either finished her bronze medal match and then complain or just forfeit the match without taking to the courts. Has she looked at this from her opponent's side?
    This is exactly what I think, it was very childish behaviour. Wang Chen should by now have learned to deal with what happened to her in a more mature way. Walking off court in the middle of the match isn't going to get her anywhere - she loses the match, and a lot of people criticise her. If there are so-called cheaters involved then all she has done is give in to them, which is exactly what their aim was. If it was genuine error, then that is arguably even worse - Wang Chen doesn't even know what is going on, so she just assumes everyone is against her and storms off in a tantrum.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Wang Chen's coach is her husband, Cheng Yuk Man. Chan Chi Choi is the big boss, not unlike Yap Kim Hock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2