hitting horizontally

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jcapco, Oct 16, 2005.

1. jcapco

jcapco Regular Member

Postgraduate Student
    Hi,

Im new to this forum.. I've been playing only for some 6 months. I find this sport the hardest I have encountered. Usually, it takes me a short time to reach an average level in any sport I learn.. but somehow badminton is different. I play tabletennis to an expert level, I did thought that it would help me in my badminton.. but it doesnt seem to help :crying:

Anyway, here's my first question. I want to learn how to hit shuttles horizontally (Im not sure if this is called slicing.. coz in slicing its like hitting in a high speed causing a little spin to the shuttle.. if I compare it with pingpong, I would compare slicing to a spin hit).. I want to learn this, because sometimes the shuttle is too far for me to reach anymore, and only the tip of my racket can touch it. I have noticed that when novice players hit horizontally then the speed of shuttle return is much better.

If the shuttle is far from the net, there is no chance for me to save it by just diving. I need something like a horizontal hit.

2. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Regular Member

Actually, what you need is good footwork. Desperate shots, even well-placed ones, aren't a good option. You need to get to the shot before you play it.

Do a forum search on footwork threads.

Oh, and don't worry about slice shots, you acquire those with time and practice.