What is the lightest racquet?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by whitestarzero, Oct 16, 2005.

1. whitestarzero

whitestarzero New Member

I've been scrolling through several racquets.. and i've been wondering.. what's the lightest racquet?

2. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Kason Carvel U-3 & U-4

Kason Carvel U-3 & U-4, 77g, isometric, awsome racket to use for quick reflex and returns. Only $50.00.

Been using this racket for over a year and love it.
    Definitely would recommend it.

Other one is the Kason Lepton F1 and F2. Also 77g, $60.00.:)

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  4. ToMitch

ToMitch Regular Member

5. jmh226

jmh226 New Member

Karakal SL-70

I recently purchased the Karakal SL-70, and since it is said to be the "lightest racket in the world", the first thing I did, naturally, was to weigh it. I was sorely disappointed to discover that rather then being near 70 grams, it weighs in fact 84 grams! I understand that the 70 grams is frame weight only, but the strung weight is advertised as 75 grams, and I don't think that the weight of string and grommets is possibly 15 grams! I was dissapointed because there are many rackets on the market that weigh near 84 grams!

Has anyone else actually weighed their Karakal SL-70?

6. azn_bdmntn_boi

azn_bdmntn_boi Regular Member

Did you add a grip? If you did, it would be pretty reasonable that a grip would weigh about 9 grams;).

7. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

The lightest racket I have is a fake Ti-10 at 79g including my own string and factory grip. Without the string and grip, the weight of the frame and handle is about 60g-65g. I don't know of any branded rackets as light as that. The racket has superb defense and power. But I no longer use the racket because the last time I used it resulted in a shoulder injury that took 3 months to recover from.

People should be careful on blindly following the weight specification provided by racket makers, because the information can be misleading and incompatible between one manufacturer and another. I believe Yonex rate their racket weights with the factory grip on but without the string. Other racket makers may rate the weight without the factory grip and without the string. I think the Karakal SL-70 is equivalent to a Yonex 4U.

#7 CoolDoo6, Jan 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  8. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    winex superlight, 5U

9. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    agree with viper!Carvel 3..i use it myself.

10. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    hehe..Kason Carvel U-3 is 77-79gms.How's that?Even comes with a really cheap price.It costs about less than 20USD in china.

11. Bobbert

Bobbert Regular Member

Student
    I have a Karakal SL-70 (world's lightest racket) and personally, I think its great. Upon holding it you wouldn't think its that light a racket, but after I started playing it for a few months I realized that it really was light. I borrowed my friends nanospeed 8000 and it felt so heavy for some reason I couldn't play with it that well. Well that being the case you should get the Karakal Sl-70 if you want a light racket but don't want to change your racket for quite awhile. Also, its pretty durable as I accidently hit a metal pole while hitting a birdie agianst a wall and it got off with just a small paint chip.

12. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    :eek:
    remind me to play on the otherside of the court when we play each other :D

As mentioned, this is a very light racquet... (karakal sl-70) I was never able to weigh the racquet, to verify the claims of it being the absolute lightest racquet in the world though... as others have done so, and said, it wasn't exactly 70g...
    But, when I played with it, i almost threw my arm out, because there is such a lack of air resistance, and the frame was just too darn light for me...
    I guess that's why I stick to the old 2U frames if possible... I cant play with the 5u,4u, and majority of the 3u racquets very well...:eek:

13. Bobbert

Bobbert Regular Member

Student
    Haha don't worry about that, I learned to stay away from metal poles the hard way :p.

I think that the SL-70 is really good for wrist players like me, but possibly not good for arm players? When I smash, its pretty much only me snaping my wrist rather than winding back and hitting it with as much force as possible.

14. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    oh, also dont take my comment of throwing my arm out, to mean that I am an "arm" or "wrist" player (specifically)... those descriptions are rather inaccurate...
    i shortened my description, because there's no point writing a book on my technique...

but as mentioned... my point was this; when swinging something as light as the sl-70, you have to adjust timing significantly, especially coming from 2u frames... which was my difficulty... i didn't like holding the shot till the very last second, or swinging so slow :crying:

anywho just thought i would clarify that :D
    I'm still standing on the other side of the court! lol

edit: spelling again :p

15. RobbieV

RobbieV Regular Member

i believe the Black Knight Superlight series are one of the lightes around. They weigh 75g.

16. Stealthboy

Stealthboy Regular Member

I.T.
    Karakal SL 70

The Karakal SL 70 has the lightest badminton frame in the world and is the obvious choice for players seeking a super light yet powerful racket. Featuring a high strength head loop which can take up to 30lbs stringing tension.

It weighs 70g.

This is the cheapest I have seen it and this is the latest evolution of this racquet. I have played with it I am gonna buy one it's a dream to play with.

http://www.justsquash.com/badminton/kar-sl-70.htm?gclid=CIeNkqSj6okCFQlJEAodaWpMFw

#16 Stealthboy, Mar 7, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

My game is definitely leant in favour of wrist action: I love to whip a shot rather than swing it, and I rely heavily on well-placed little pokes and jabs at the net. This is why I'm getting the SL. Also, my current racket weighs >100g strung and gripped, so the SL will feel like it's made of solid helium!

18. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

And so you would hope. The last time I picked up an SL70, it felt heavier than an MP99 3U. The weight felt has less to do with the racket weight and more to do with weight distribution and balance. For instance my heavy 120g racket feels significant lighter on a swing than a 3U NS8000 with factory grip and string.

Also people may do well by verifying manufacturer's claims. Sometimes they exclude various bits when specifying the weight. For instance, they may exclude the string, the factory grip, or even the handle itself.

I believe the SL70 is in the same weight class as the Yonex 4U's.

#18 CoolDoo6, Mar 11, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  19. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

SL 70 is 74grams without grip wrap or string and would be 70 gram if you cut off the end of the grip so that the racket is 670cm long...It is head heavy balance and produces good power from so lite a racket...it is 5U...