String tension. 30lbs!!??

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Daniel, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Daniel

Daniel Guest

I've seen on this forum site that some people have suggested or even strung at over 25lbs. Most manufacturers recommend about 22-23lbs. Is this possible to go over 25lbs and is there any advantage? I have a Yonex MP100 that was strung at 22lbs and it feels great. I would like to improve the speed of my smashes and if stinging over 25lbs helps, sure.

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Well stringing over 25lbs tends to lead to less power. I string my rackets at about 25lbs to 26lbs at most. I just had my MP77 strung at 26lbs today.

I'm not sure it will train your smashes because i doubt its going to make you any stronger training that way. So i don't think theres any real point going over a tension that your comfortable with.

If you like 23lbs, stick with it.

3. Daniel

Daniel Guest

Thanks. I remember someone said that he strung his at 29 or 30lbs, and that there is a difference when you strung it at extreme tension. Better smashes and control. Just want others opinion on this subject.

4. Pete

Pete Guest

A lot more control.

5. kaushik

kaushik Regular Member

hi,
    i watched the thomas/uber cup in melbourne and i spoke to the stringer.The stringer was actually Han Ai Ping's coaching partner and another australian stringer. i also felt the tension.The korean men's team mostly use yonex ti-10 and they string it at 34lbs. The stringer told me the range was from 26lbs to 34 lbs with the koreans choosing the extreme.I felt the rackets(Goosen) used by the malaysian doubles pair(chew and chong) which they had given for restringing and it was rock solid.
    The one thing i noticed during the 5 days was in singles no player went all out in his smashes. The main thing they seemed to concentrate was the angle(steepness)and the placement and not power becoz these guys have amazing retrieving abilities. So i guess if u hit it faster(but not with the right angle)it will come back faster.

The shuttle used was Yonex Aerosena 50 with speed "2". The tournament official told me that this series had speeds from 1 to 4 or 5. I have not seen this shuttle in the shops here.

So the point is whether one has the strength/technique to use such high tensions on such slow shuttles(and they are really sapping)especially long rallies.

6. Pete

Pete Guest

I wonder if the stringer has to modify his string method at such high tension.

7. Yamoto

Yamoto Guest

Ya, i agree with kaushik. The higher the string tension, the more muscle u need. As my coach once told me before, u can go string ur racket at 30lbs, but if u don't have the muscle to use it, the shuttle won't go anywhere.

8. Pete

Pete Guest

I totally agree. I tire out much faster using 30 lbs tension than 25 lbs tension.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I disagree. It should be better technique, not more muscle strength.

10. Pete

Pete Guest

I will try to keep that in mind the next time. :)

11. kaushik

kaushik Regular Member

hi,
    cheung is right.it cannot be totally strength. It is a combination of strength and
    technique. Another important difference is to "be strong" u do not have to be really muscular with lot of muscle. A very close anology is "bodybuilders" and
    "olympic lifters". "Bodybuilders" using steroids etc and training methodology which concentrates on muscular hypertropy(also becoz of steroids and anabolics)the tendons grow big as well. But they are not as strong as olympic lifters.Still they are stronger than the average joe. Whereas "olympic lifters" train the "central nervous system" with speed.So they do not tend to put too much muscle but develop tremendous strength. But the heavy weights have lot of muscle which is hidden by fat.They do not care about looks.

Coming to the point, in the 5 days i watched even the top players when they played a clear be it forehand or backhand the shuttle rarely reached beyond 3/4 the length of the court.It always seemed to be around the doubles service line.
    So it is a combo of slow shuttle and obviously one would tire if one tries to hit to the very end of the court in long rallies.It can be sapping irrespective of supreme technique.

12. Pete

Pete Guest

I play with speed 78 (metric) or 50 (Aeroplane) or 4 (Yonex) here. Usually it is non-stop action from 2:30 pm to 7:00 pm at the club. So it is very tiring to maintain the same performance level with a racquet strung at 30 lbs. I guess there is still a long way to go in terms of endurance training :).

13. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

That stringer is actually Guo Ming, and yeah he does help at Han Ai Ping's sessions. He's not very good at badminton, but an absolute fitness sadist, I have really, really bad memory of some of the fitness drills that I did. Han Ai Ping's quite soft on people like me, she's knows I'm a natural lazy slob, but Guo Ming is just cruel ;P Hmm, however I do remember one time, just after I'd started training again for the third time, she made me play against two young SH**S, er guys (well 18 is young these days ;P), and they were allowed to do anything, but I could only clear, lift and defend, man that was tiring, maybe she was only pretending to be nice ;)

14. Pete

Pete Guest

That's the way to practise brick-wall defense :-D!