Doubles friendly match

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Flex, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Flex

Flex Guest

Hi, does anyone have any ideas on doubles friendly matches with about 40 people with mixed standard. after an easy to organise fun idea to play in 2 hour time slot.
    any ideas appreciated.
    thanks in advance

2. Jan

Jan Guest

With regards to the 2 hour slot - why don't you play on time - 6 rounds of 20 min!

3. Flex

Flex Guest

thanks jan. I certainly plan to play on a time format, but do you have any suggestions of a way to have a winner/s situtation at the end of the night?
    grading groups and playing each doubles pair somehow?
    thanks

4. norman

norman Guest

It depends on how many courts you have?

5. Jan

Jan Guest

You can play what I would call a total randomized tournament! Just throw people on the court with someone they don't play with or against every day and at the end of the day you court how many wins each one have. If you wanna make it fair you can make sure everyone has an equal amount of ga-mes. And if you are really on top of the situation you make sure the ones with many wins meet each other at the end of the tournament.

Or you can team people up 2 & 2 and then they play together all day - facing different opponents.

You can seed people - maybe in 4 groups - the best players get the worst partners to make it even.

You could make it a team event. If you have 40 players - divide them into 4 teams - each one with 5 pairs. And every team could get 3 team matches - the teams decide the line-up them selves.

If you do a doubles tournament – make the first round random. In the second round only the pairs with one win meet each other and the ones win no wins face each other. You keep on going all day with people only facing opponents with the same amount of wins (this is called the Swiss ladder – I think)

I once organized a tournament in one-mans-doubles. There are 4 people on the court and each one defends a quarter of the court. – And of course the bird has to cross the net. The previous loser of a point serves – diagonal and the one to make a mistake is the loser of the point. Means three winners in each rally. We started from 15 points (girl from 8) and as soon as one of the players in a match reached zero – the match was over and you got to keep the point you had in the match for the tournament standings.

Hope this helps you!!

6. Flex

Flex Guest

Sorry norman,
    we have 8 courts to play on within our 2 hour allocated time slot

7. Norman

Norman Guest

Dear Flex.
    One could organise some interesting session with eight courts. I try to explaine.
    1 ) First you organise the pairs
    2 ) So if you have 8 courts you have 32 players playing ( The other 8 could stand as Umpires )
    3 ) Start the games all at the same time when a team wins, All the other mathces will be stopped and the winner will be declared by the score at that moment.
    4 ) The winners will stay on court and play against each other while those who are umpiring goes in to play there matches.
    5 )The loosers have to Umpire the other games ( So you will be giving practise to Umpires too )
    6 ) You keep this system and you will find that at the end the teams will be playing each other on the same level. At fist it will be a little boring because a game could end in a few minutes and the others are in there middle but as i said at the end you will finnish with some interesting games with equal levels playing each other.
    I hope that i explained well. Good Luck Friend

8. nightingale

nightingale Regular Member

IS Manager
    Great idea
    where, when, how etc
    looking forward to more info on this great idea