Shout when smash.. OK?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Ah Wong, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Ah Wong

Ah Wong Regular Member

When my friend smashes, he shouts like doing Karate chop.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Although annoying, It's okay to do that but if your opponent does that when you are about to take your shot, then that's is not okay and is consider a forfeit. (Law 13.5)

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Yeah true, to me, if people want to shout, its fine with me, its irritating but so long they don't do it to deliberately distract me then i'm ok with it.

But to me, whenever i see someone shouting when they smash i ask them if they have constipation.

4. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    LOL! Good one, Byro. I'll remember that. Can't wait to use it.

5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I wonder if anyone asked Morten Frost? This all time great sometimes used to let out a noise when smashing.

6. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    I think it is worse when your opponent shouts AFTER the smash. :) In all meanings! :)

Recently I've played against a person I didn't know. We played a double game. So in a rally I smashed directly at him (his chest), he tried to return the shuttle, missed, then he droped his racket, rose his hands (one at the level of his eyes, another - to the chest level) and shouted sth like 'Oh, god'! Man, I was shoked, I couldn't even find words to explain that I'm sorry (I didn't even think that the smash wasn't hard at all and the shuttle couldn't do him any harm hitting like that). While I muttered apologises my partner calmly said: "Don't mind him - evrthng is ok with him - he always behave this way when missing birdies". His partner also said sth like this. Finally this guy stopped shouting and picked up his racket as if northing has happened.
    Well, it's all very well with them - they played with him before and got used but personally I was a bit lost for a couple of minutes after that. Quite a nasty habit in certain circumstances I should say.

7. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Re: Whiners

:D
    At least he didn't roll around on the ground (like soccer players) groaning and holding his chest. I guessed no one has ever told these guys that they are being overly dramatic and making themselves look like fools.

8. Nav

Nav Guest

I remember a mens doubles match I saw quite a while back. One guy in particular had an "interesting" way of releasing his frustration at losing a point. He would throw his racket to the floor, get down on his knees and bang the floor while using a few choice words to describe his opponent. After a few seconds of venting, he would get up and continue as if nothing had happened. This was a Division 1 game in the Cardiff League (S. Wales). Not sure if it was a normal thing

9. jenny

jenny Guest

I know a boy who is totally calm all the time during the game, he doesn´t even open his mouth or do anything with his face. But then if he loose a game he brake his raquet totally in thousand parts and sometimes he distroys even the shuttle.. I understand somway the shuttle but the raquet....huh... and sometimes he screams bad things... I can´t understand this kind of behaviour!!!

10. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad

ugh... he broke his racquet?? .. it better of been a cheap one heh... imagine breaking mp-100s each time u loose.. lol

11. Winex West Can

Hi Tech

Wow! That guy must be loaded or at least, his parents are. So, the question is how many racquets does he go through in a session (assuming that he gets to play more than a game)... :D

12. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Re: Shouting rules

Whilst perusing the laws of badminton, I came across the following under Section 3 - "Recommendation to Umpires"

a) 3.8.2 A player shouting to a partner who is about to hit the shuttle should not necessarily be regarded as distracting the opponents. Calling 'no shot', 'fault', etc should be considered a distraction.

Does this mean that if you call "no shot" or "out" to your partner to let him/her know that the shot is going out is consider a fault?

and

b) 3.8.6 Law 13.6; a double hit by one player with one stroke is not a 'fault'.

I would assume that this means that if you hit the shuttle twice in the same stroke (swing) and got the shuttle over, it is considered good.

13. Marlboro

Marlboro Regular Member

don tink its possible to hit the shuttle twice in one(same) stroke
    probably thats y is not a 'fault'

14. Marlboro

Marlboro Regular Member

oops didn't notice it was an old thread

ignore pls:D :D :D

15. h3ytony

h3ytony New Member

Nope, I don't shout or grunt when hitting a smash, but once in a while when I'm trying to have fun and poke fun at people who do, I shout while doing a DROP. Hey, maybe it will trick them to expect a smash, and generally it brings a smile or laugh to whoever who is watching the game:p

And by the way, I'm new to these forums, hope i haven't done anything wrong.:)

/EDIT oh shoot i just noticed this is a really old thread =(

16. drop_n_net

drop_n_net Regular Member

Student
    sure it is, its called a slice:p

17. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

actually, i've done it quite a few times... i dunno how???

18. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I think that it's fine when you shout when you smash, it's farting when you smash that's big problem.

19. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

HAHAHAHA, well if you smash hard enough, hopefully no one wouldve heard it hahaha.

20. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    I know how that feels :D

No watermelon before games for me anymore =X