Adelaide shuttlers

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by Oinkers, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hey guys,

I'm from Adelaide, and as summer comes ever so closer, the university sessions will draw to a close (for the summer break).

I was just wondering if any of you other BFers out that have any regular sessions that I could join in. I'm an intermediate asian player who's played for about 3 years.

Regards,

2. archie

archie Regular Member

there are quite a few regular sessions

Monday 7:30pm-10pm+ at Glenunga High ($2 per entry, plastic) #
    Monday 7:30pm-10pm+ at Marratville High ($2 per entry, plastic)
    Tuesday 8pm-10pm+ at Glenunga High ($5 per entry, feather) *
    Thursday 7:30pm-10pm+ at Glenunga High ($2 per entry, plastic) *
    Sunday 11am-1pm at Prince Alfred College ($4 student / $5 casual, feather) *
    Sunday 3pm-6pm+ at Marratville High ($2 under18 / $3 adults, plastic) #

* sessions that i usually go
    # sessions that i go when i'm free occassionally

;)

3. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    Ahh.. so far! Even though I can drive, but its still a 30 min drive for me (and 30 mins home!)

Wondering if anyone has set up regular meets at Lockleys or not?

4. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Supposedly at uni studying
    Oinker where do you live?

There is also some badminton at Seymore Colledge on Friday nights around 7-7:30 I think (been awhile since i last went there) they use feather.

Also there is badminton at Urbrae I believe on Tuesday nights but Ive never gone there but I think they use feather there also.

St Peter's girls also has badminton being played on Tuesday nights around the same time and they use plastics.

Overall Glenunga on Mondays and Thursdays are the best; they cater for all level of badminton players. From crap the more advanced players however some nights its packed or you just get shafted with a crap group :crying: Downsides are its a crap venue, floors arent good (better than they used to be) and the lighting is horrible!!!

You can also book yourself a court with friends at Lockleys, courts are good and the lighting is great!

I believe Archie mentioned all the other ones that come to mind except the UniSA Magill Campus badminton (which Im not sure is still on) I dont advise going the courts aren't good and Im not sure they have fixed the echoing problem yes there is a echoing problem there, and the general level of play is pretty poor :( the venue isnt as popular as it used to be.

Think that's it, didnt realise that there were that many BF's in Adelaide which venues you go to I may have seen you around :)

Anyway hope that helps anyone new to the badminton scene in Adelaide!

5. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    I'm actually North West (ie. Port Adelaide), so all the 'better' places to play are on the other side of town, which is a bummer.

6. archie

archie Regular Member

Well ... most of the places that I know are at eastern sub-urbs becoz I live there :D

If you do not want to travel that far, maybe Prince Alfred College on Sunday morning is a good choice as you don't have to travel too far ... free flow of feathers :cool:

catch you guys at one of these venues :)

7. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    Once I get back into the groove, you betcha I'll be there..

Most of these places are just past the city, which ain't that bad when I think about it. I just have to motivate my badminton partners to come along (I'm not much of a singles player) - I feel awkward going alone.. hehe.. its a pyschiological thing...

8. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Supposedly at uni studying
    Port Adelaide area eh? Mmmm I havent lived in that area since I was like 5. Wouldnt know any good places around there should contact Badminton SA dont trust their site it hasnt been updated in awhile.

9. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
    Anyone playing in the Uni SA Qualifiers for SUG --> AUG?

10. dwcl83

dwcl83 Regular Member

Seymour Friday 6:30-9:30pm ($4 U15, $5 adult member, $6 non member, feather). Mainly social doubles games. Seems pricy, but if you come for the full 3 hours, it’s not a bad deal. Generally there’s a good mix of youth and experience. Sometimes it looks like it’s overrun by kids, but some of them are A grade regulars. 2 coaches run individual session training, ideal for young beginners.

Urrbrae Tuesday 7:30-9:30pm ($5, feather). A more mature crowd, core group of solid B graders and juniors. The guy who runs it usually makes sure games are varied and balanced.

I think the Glenelg club plays on Monday nights at Lockleys (plastic). However, it’s crowded and grade comp players often frequent other clubs because of the lack of feather shuttles.

Another club which is more central is St Peter’s College (enter of Hackney Rd). Thursday 7:30-9:30, 4 courts, feather. I think it’s about $60 a year, which is good value if you can commit to every week. Probably the cheapest social hit around, but I think Adelaide Uni has a cheaper deal for competition players, though. Floor is good, but lighting and white walls make it difficult. It’s also very humid: probably has something to do with the pool next door.

11. andy_s

andy_s Regular Member

Bill Payer
    Places to play in Adelaide

If anyone needs to know places to play in Adelaide I can help out. I play mostly out of the Badminton SA headquarters at Lockleys, train, play or coach there 5/6 nights a week. Also involved with the club operating out of Prince Alfred College on sundays.

Am more than happy to point people in a direction to best suit their area and ability.

Cheers,
    Andy