Shuttlers skip China and Taiwan Opens

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open / China Open / Chinese Taipei Open ' started by ants, Oct 19, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    NST

Oct 20:

THE Hong Kong Open Badminton Championships on Nov 1-6 will be the final tune-up for the Manila Sea Games squad as national chief coach Yap Kim Hock does not want to risk injuries to any of his players.
    After Hong Kong, the China Open follows on Nov 9-13 and then the Taiwan Open on Nov 16-20, but Kim Hock will not risk sending any of the players to the tournaments.

"The Sea Games is just four weeks away and the last thing we want is an injured player. Also, the players need to be focused," said Kim Hock before leaving for Aarhus, Denmark on Sunday to attend the Denmark Open.

"We have set a three-gold target and the final phase of training over the last three weeks before the Games will be important.

"Anymore tournaments and the players might not be able to peak for the Games.

"However, we will be sending the rest of the national players for the three tournaments and I hope the will use the opportunity improve their respective performances and their world ranking."

The Sea Games squad are competing in the on-going Denmark Open and their performances will be closely monitored by the coach.

In the men’s singles, Lee Chong Wei, seeded second, has a realistic chance of winning the title due to the absence of players from China and Indonesia.

Kim Hock might not even consider Chong Wei for the Hong Kong Open if he wins in Denmark as it would be better for the player to concentrate on preparing for the Sea Games.

Chong Wei is Malaysia’s best bet for the men’s singles gold medal in Manila, while Hafiz Hashim, who won the Dutch Open on Sunday, will also be in with a chance.

Wong Choong Hann and Kuan Beng Hong are the two players who will be sent for the Hong Kong Open together with doubles pairs Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Koo Kien Keat-Chan Chong Ming.

The women’s squad will play in Hong Kong except for newcomers Julia Wong and Norsyahliza Baharom as they are unlikely get a place in the qualifying round of the six-star tournament.

The duo are currently competing in the Indian Satellite in New Delhi.

2. kemana

kemana Regular Member

dose this mean that no malaysian player is coming to china open ?:eek:
    omg , hope indonesian won't change their mind and follow the malaysian:(

3. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    indons will still come to hk and china open 2005

and indonesia will still dominate in sea games manila 2005 :)

4. ants

ants Regular Member

They looked very strong to dominate the Games. But it will be hard when i'm there to cheer on the Malaysians. :D

5. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    by the way, do u know what phil tV channel will broadcast sea games, badminton particulary ?

6. ants

ants Regular Member

There will be tv coverage for the sea games. But i'm not sure which channel yet and i dont think they will cover all the badminton matches since there is so many sports involved. I will get back to you once i know which channel will be covering it.