User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ViningWolff
    Well a couple weeks ago when my back wasn't killing me I was able to touch the basketball rim. I'm 5'10" and reach is about 7'2", so that's about 30".

I'm not sure what my vertical is for badminton smashes, probably not much more than 15".
    That's impressive. I'm 5'11" with about a 7'5" reach and could slam dunk back in the day, now I doubt I can even touch the rim. I won't try because I'm in denial.

Interesting and curious why you don't jump higher for a jump smash. Save energy? Don't need to?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More of an energy thing, but saves the knees a bit too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel guilty. 2-3 ft jumps to me is IMPOSSIBLE.

Anyway, when you guys mentioned the height, do you mean the approximate height from the lowest point of your body, ie foot, to the flat ground? I am referring to a normal vertical jump (not necessarily jumpsmash when you curl your legs).

Do you guys just jump a lot, born to jump high, or you train to jump high thru skipping, froggie style etc ?

I am 5'8", 71kg (156lbs) and I think I can barely jump 1/2 a foot. Maybe I am overly pessimistic with my approximation but I am sure I cannot jump more than 20" !! And oh, I cannot touch the basketball ring, maybe just barely reaching the lowest point of the net of the ring.
    Last edited by Monster; 12-28-2006 at 09:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you guys happen to know of any videos teaching jump smashes? Slo mo and all. I just uploaded an unbelievably poor quality one of myself at Thornhill community center, so any pointers would be welcome. I jump relatively high (30") but my jump smash is self taught and mostly by what feels right so im sure there are areas for improvement. If anyone can see through the blur of 4 secs maybe they can help critique.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNxRWfE-ehU

(Its taken on a camera phone)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

walk back further, and jump into the shuttles path..this way you'll get your bodyweight into your smash..though your jump is quite high..
    also, your stroke is suffering from your jump: you don't rotate your shoulders/torse when you smash...you just jump up as high as you can and swing a bit: focus mroe on your hitting technique with a lower jump, the height will come later..

I'm personally not that good at jumping...thought I can reach the basketbalring pretty easily (no extreme jump) (but heck..with my racket I can easily rach 3m)

In game I do jump, because I feel I can smash harder, steeper and more effective (the 'and' might be a 'thus'...) but my coach describes it as a "larry Bird jump"
    I also find that when I overfocus on jumping (no offense, but like in the movie above..) my stroke suffers from it...the job at hand for me now is to improve physically, and keep a good stroke whiel my jump height increases

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monster
    Anyway, when you guys mentioned the height, do you mean the approximate height from the lowest point of your body, ie foot, to the flat ground? I am referring to a normal vertical jump (not necessarily jumpsmash when you curl your legs).

Do you guys just jump a lot, born to jump high, or you train to jump high thru skipping, froggie style etc ?
    Yes, the standard method for measuring is, you measure your highest reach standing, then you measure the highest point you can touch with your legs fully extended. Subtract the difference = your vertical. This is the same distance as the bottom of your feet to the ground once you reach the highest point of your jump. If curl your legs, man, you'll get another 12"+.

Back in the day, I used to trained with the Santa Monica Track Club (unofficially) to see if I could try-out for the U.S. Olympic Team in the Decathlon. Mind, you possibly try-out for the Team, NOT represent the U.S. I did all sorts exercises, tons of jump rope, running stairs, running on the beach, etc... It consumed so much of my life and I was realist, so I stopped training. Why? Even if I could make the Team, there was no guarantee I could represent the U.S. Based on the numbers (points for each event) I needed to meet and though my progression was very good, I did not realistically think I could make it because I lacked the height. A 5'11" decathlete is unheard of (way too short) except under special circumstances. So I stopped.

Anyway, jump rope is ideal and the basis for increasing your jumping ability. Plyometrics is the next step.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LJ1000F View Post
    Do you guys happen to know of any videos teaching jump smashes? Slo mo and all. I just uploaded an unbelievably poor quality one of myself at Thornhill community center, so any pointers would be welcome. I jump relatively high (30") but my jump smash is self taught and mostly by what feels right so im sure there are areas for improvement. If anyone can see through the blur of 4 secs maybe they can help critique.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNxRWfE-ehU

(Its taken on a camera phone)
    you jumped not so high.

good on the way up, not on the way down. yr legs should be straighten while you r in the air.. (like people said: standing in the air).

well it's just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

umm their is one way of accurately testing your jump height, maybe we can post are jump records! takes a measuring tape or something of that sort. tape it to a wall, starting at about 5feet from to ground. stretch your arm and measure from the tip of your fingers were your fingers are, remember what the tape says,
    now jump and hit the tape as high as you can, maybe get a friend to help your read what you got its hard sometimes, now take that number and subtract the first number with the stretched arm, thats how high you jump!

also last year i started to try to do jump smashes but failed and im coming back this season with new info and stuff, last year my problem was that i was jump square to the net, so now i got the basics down and i will work on it all year this season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What some people do it try and jump straight up..which might be harder to do at the beginning...
    What i do is jump forward so I have more air time and body force to use it to my advantage and get more power...try it it just might be the thing for you. ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i tried to jump, bend knees 90 degree and the rotate shoulder and kick=straighten knee.
    i think my muscles are short: my upper body always goes forward=flex a bit when i bend knees 90 degree.

Also i dont stand in the air so have no time to kick down the legs and by no means i cant understand how power is generated by kicking also i know it has sthg to do with contracting the abs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
    i tried to jump, bend knees 90 degree and the rotate shoulder and kick=straighten knee.

i think my muscles are short: my upper body always goes forward=flex a bit when i bend knees 90 degree.

Also i dont stand in the air so have no time to kick down the legs and by no means i cant understand how power is generated by kicking also i know it has sthg to do with contracting the abs...
    here is some tips for you:

timing to hit the shuttle is very important while doing the jump smash. try to "kick" earlier, meaning hit the shuttle earlier (but at highest point possible). this should be done on the way you jump up to the shuttle. when your body start to fall down, you already finished hitting the shuttle, yr knee already straighten, and that makes you seem like standing in the air.

if you hit the shuttle on the way you fall down, you got no time to straighten yr knee in the air or by finishing doing that, you r already stand on the floor, not in the mid air.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post

here is some tips for you:

timing to hit the shuttle is very important while doing the jump smash. try to "kick" earlier, meaning hit the shuttle earlier (but at highest point possible). this should be done on the way you jump up to the shuttle. when your body start to fall down, you already finished hitting the shuttle, yr knee already straighten, and that makes you seem like standing in the air.

if you hit the shuttle on the way you fall down, you got no time to straighten yr knee in the air or by finishing doing that, you r already stand on the floor, not in the mid air.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basically just practise it, go out in games and try to get the timing right. it is difficult at first, i remember never being able to do it, then i started getting off the ground a little, then more and now i can do a full out jump smash...if you cant get it, its not worth it. its better to have the technique and power down than it is to have a jump smash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by b_davey View Post
    its better to have the technique and power down than it is to have a jump smash.
    +1.

Jump smashes are fun to watch, but are they essential in badminton? That's debatable. My answer's no.

The way I see it, it's actually much better to perform proper standing smashes at close range. There's less distance traveled to the ground, which means less chance of the shuttle drastically slowing down and being received successfully.

My two cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But they are cool, and usually more steeper when executed correctly. Steeper usually makes it harder to intercept and also, it may put more pressure on the opponent. It's an extra weapon in your arsenal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's just about the only thing I see in favor of a jump smash: the intimidation factor, and getting to the shuttle earlier.

Steepness of angle doesn't even have to come from getting airborne. It's in how you hit the shuttle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    That's just about the only thing I see in favor of a jump smash: the intimidation factor, and getting to the shuttle earlier.

Steepness of angle doesn't even have to come from getting airborne. It's in how you hit the shuttle.
    Er...if you hit the bird the same distance from your head, your jumpsmash will always have a higher contact point, thus creating the ability to get a better angle. A sharper angle means a shorter path from the bird to the floor. If you contact the bird earlier, and the bird takes less time to reach the floor, your opponent has to react a lot faster. If they're not fast enough, you get the point. Jump smashes have a lot of benefits, but should only be used as killing shots.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast