how to calm your partner?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Mar 4, 2002.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    so we all pretty much agree it is not good to "coach" your partner during a doubles game. (or scream at, or blame, or punch.... :) )

but when during the middle of a game, you noticed that your partner is either getting tired or nervous, and starts to make a lot of simple mistakes, what do you do? do you just let him/her continue and hope that he/she will recover, or do you try to calm and encourage him/her?

or do you just give up and find a new partner? :)

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    What works for you?

What works for *you* may not work for *me*
    What works for *me* may not work for *you*

I prefer it if my partner just lets me get on with it.

So maybe you should ask your partner what works for them.

If you sit on the side of the court and refuse to play any more, that can work :D

UKP

3. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Re: What works for you?

if this is a steady partner, you should have a better idea than us as to what turns your partner on and off. my wife, when she is playing below standard (nah, never happens), says that i am playing poorly (she is in denial). i can't say anything to her without the entire situation going worse. she will often get herself out of the funk by herself, the only thing i try to do is maintain focus that when she is out of it, that i am also ready as well. i have learned to keep my mouth shut in this case.

when i play with my other partners, it depends on them. with one fellow, we look at each other and let out a gutteral yell, and that often is enought to get us to kick up a notch. another fellow, i will have a brief talk prior to the next serve and just ask how he's doing. this will often get him to get back on track.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How about saying 'relax'?
    Mistakes can come about by trying TOO hard!
    Again, it depends on the situation, tournament is different from just playing games on court.

Hmm, I played a mixed tournament myself this w/end. In the final,my partner and I hit a bad rough patch in the 2nd game(15 x 3). We talked it over in the interval. I made some alterations, she made some alterations. I guess we respect each others game and can accept our own mistakes. But yet still realise we are technically gonna be the same. It has to be a matter of controlling the type of shots we play so that the opponents don't make us play our weaker shots.

OK so the result is a change of tactics and although our mistakes are the same, we don't let ourselves get into that position so often. So less points lost, we come out winners.....of the tournament! Success!!!

5. May

May Guest

i personally feel that a slap prevents a case of hysterics and helps to avoid a case of assault.

6. Lao Liu

Lao Liu Guest

I think another idea is to let your racket do the 'talking'.

7. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    well today, they teamed me up with a different partner in our match against the American School. My new partner is in the B team and is still pretty much lower standard intermediate player. Hes hot tempered and very expressive. The way i calm him is to act calmly myself, praise him whenever he plays a good shot etc etc. Make him feel good.

If hes playing fine, just keep quiet. It works, then he won't feel pressured.....

8. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    That's what works for me. I respect someone for maintaing their focus when things are going wrong.

9. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    If it's getting really bad, and my partner is playing well below his/hers usual level, it usually means lack of concentration. I usually try to cause a "time-out": re-tie a shoe-lace, wipe my face with the towel, pretend I don't know what the score is or which side I should stand in, wipe the floor, change shuttle, whatever it takes to get some breathing space. Usually this will allow my poartner to re-focus.

But then again, some days are just bad days... And then the best one can do is to be generally supportive!

10. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    My wife was playing a XD match and they were losing to a much weaker pair. Her partner was very nervous and asked her to wait a bit before serving. He used the time to do qi gong meditation (probably violating the 5-second limit) and calmed down. They won the match.

I was playing MD with a guy who thought my errors were due to not relaxing enough, so he told me he was going to help me relax. His method was to stand behind me when I served and scream "Relax relax relax!" I found this so funny I did relax. My game improved, too.

Usually I prefer to compliment a nervous partner in a quiet voice when thet do something right, and tell them "Don't worry, that's OK" if they get frustrated when they make a mistake. I prefer the same treatment when I mess up also.

11. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Another good one! Glad you're back in the forum, May.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Cheung and marshall's suggestions are what i normally do when i am playing with a familiar partner. i will ask them to take their time, relax, and try to take less risky shots. sometimes that works sometimes that doesn't.

like, we played 5x15 over the weekend. my partner and i were playing very well, we won't first two games pretty OK. and then the next two games, it was rather bad, he got tired and thus nervous and i try to calm him down, and encourage him when he makes a good shot. but that didn't work too well, we lost our 3rd & 4th games.

however, in the middle of the 5th game, he regained his confidence and we ended up winning the 5th.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: What works for you?

yeah, i agree, different partner, different solution. i want to know what has work for you and your partners, and perhaps next time i meet a new partner in the same situation, i can try them out.

as for asking your partner what works for them, it is really a hit and miss as well, normally, i wouldn't know what my partner should do when i am nervous. i have one regular partner who ask me to keep on shouting as her if she gets nervous, i honestly thinks that actually make her even more nervous.

the ability to handle on-court performance fluctuation comes with experience. whether it is yours or your partner's.

14. marshall

marshall Regular Member

I forgot about another unusual calming story. A woman told us when she was playing XD in an Open tournament final, her partner would turn his back to the net and speak to her as if they were deciding on strategy. What he was really saying was "You're so wonderful, so beautiful; you're the most beautiful woman in the whole world; you're so sexy," and so on. This was so funny she did relax and they won.

This strategy might work if you can do it naturally, basically it's a kind of comic routine.

15. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Well, it would definitely be a comic routine if I did it to my MD partner...

16. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    sure mag, we'll take your word for that. nudge-nudge-wink-wink-say no more....

17. nightingale

nightingale Regular Member

IS Manager
    Good question - and one that will no doubt (and as seen in response below, has) generates many types of responses..

From being that "weaker person" I have, through a great deal of personal pain and inner tumoil, learnt that the most benefical coaching given to me by my betters, was that of understanding and constructive nature.

I have had the benefit of playing with many strong players, male and female alike, some of whom have been "tutters and stomp off courters" (such poor sportsmanship, for weren't we all beginners once!) to those who have demnostrated the utmost patience, tolerance and provided very constructive commentary, without it sounding like I'm inadequate. It is those people I have benefitted from greatly. The "tutters" and "stomp off courters" seem to me to be full of their own self importance and egotistic opinions (sorry if that sounds harsh, but it generalises many - though not all)

The ones who were encouraging prompted me to seek coaching from professional coaches - quite disimilar to the original "coach" I endured painful learnings from (though I suppose as he was my off court partner also allowances had to be made!)

If I were to play, now. with a beginner I would like to think I would demonstrate the nurturing yet constructive feedback that was provided to me once my "off court partner" and I found separate clubs. my game came on leaps and bounds after his demise.

Hope this helps

A wounded, but recovered, nightingale.

18. abcdef200886

abcdef200886 Regular Member

most of the time, i play in queing courts, where i would be able to play different partners, if i already knew the playing style of my partner, i just adopted to his style and adjust, so that we might have a great chance of winning the game. but generally, it depends on my partners' capability, i dont asked anything more that he/she cannot do.

19. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    I normally just offer positive comments while we are playing.
    If i see theyr getting really frustrated normally il just say ok calm calm. Lets play percentage. Ready? Give them a quick chance to take their mind off the game by talking to them. No matter how short or long it will be. Theyr negative train of thought is broken and its much easier for them to regroup.

Worst things you can do with your partner in competition is too just stand by quietly and let them do whatever they want. Communication is hugely important in doubles. Ofcourse always try to remain positive. Negativity will only downgrade the play further.

Fire your partner up aswell.. Win a big point and let them know it. High five and a tap on the back. Normally i give a quick shout after a big point then i might say "Ok lets go. Keep it up."

etc etc.

20. cyclone9

cyclone9 Regular Member

how could u all dig 7 years old threads @_@