Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    No
    only the racquet may pass over the net as part of your follow through
    No part of you body is allowed to pass over the net
    (under and around the net are different matters)
    I have some doubts about this as the hand holding the racket should presumably form part of the racket. On a practical note, I just wonder how an entire arm can cross over without it, or other body parts, touching the net. Even if this is the case, the striker would certainly be disadvantaged somewhat in that he will be slowed down in returning to 'base' position and hitting a return shot.

Quote:

As for around the net, the poles are usually located well outside the court so that it makes it nearly impossible to reach around...

Not true for official events. The poles should be planted on the doubles line on each side. I suppose one reason for this is that if the poles are set apart otherwise, there will be a distortion to the height at the ends and in the centre of the net.

In this connection you may be interested to know that if the shuttle is hit from outside the striker's court and it travels around (or outside) the net post (not over the net) and lands on the opponent's court, it is a legal shot and a winning point if the opponent does nothing about it.
    Last edited by Loh; 10-24-2005 at 09:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrus
    OMG when was this match i must add it to my collection !
    It might have been the All England 2002 Semi-Final
    I'll try to remember to check tonight, unless someone else can confirm it before then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    the hand holding the racket should presumably form part of the racket.
    Why would you presume that?
    If you want to consider the hand is part of the racquet, then I will say you have an illegal racquet under Law 4.3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OniMenoKyo
    13. Faults

As for around the net, the poles are usually located well outside the court so that it makes it nearly impossible to reach around...
    Just to followup on my earlier remarks on this rule, please refer to Law 1.5 on Court and Court Equipment which says:

"The posts shall be placed on the doubles side lines as in Diagram A irrespective of whether singles or doubles is being played."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    Why would you presume that?
    If you want to consider the hand is part of the racquet, then I will say you have an illegal racquet under Law 4.3
    I referred to Law 4.3 but found no direct mention of the arm as it relates to the racket.

But I think on another matter, if the opponent's shuttle touches your racket, then it is a fault against you as the racket then forms part of your body (Law 13.2.5). It is this example which prompted me to say that since the arm is part of the body and the racket in this example also forms part of the body, therefore arm and racket are synonymous (faulty argument? ).

However, I have to admit that if in the unlikely situation the striker allows his racket holding arm to extend way beyond the normal cross over the net as a follow through action, this may tantamount to 'invading the opponent's court over the net', which is a fault under Law 13.4.2.

On account of Law 13.4.2, I tend to agree with you on hindsight that the example given by Lam is a fault, especially if the striker was aggressive and thoroughly pumped up in his action. How the umpire perceives the situation has a bearing on his judgement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2