Next raquet??

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Eternal_Monk, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Eternal_Monk

Eternal_Monk Regular Member

Student
    Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you can help me pick my next raquet. Right now, i am using a Ti-3 and if i remember correctly, it isn't so great, and i've been using that raquet for a while now anyways. So, I was thinking an MP-77 or 88, another Ti or maybe a car, but don't know much about those yet. I guess i'm still an amateur (i'm not that great, but not that bad either). So, any suggestions??

Thanks

2. george333

george333 Regular Member

Associate Director
    next racket

I would tell you to go with a Carlton Airblade SUperlite or something Calrton along those lines. But I'm a Carlton freak. But there you go:p

3. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    Car, heh, I first thought you meant an automobile, and thought, what would you need a car for in badminton? Then saw George333's response, and car = Carlton, hehe.

Anyways, MP-77 was discontinued in early 2004, so finding a new one should be pretty hard to find, and perhaps more expensive, unless you're also looking for a used one. MP-66 was released the same time MP-77 was discontinued, with similar features (Ultimum Titanium on Shaft), and MP-66 to MP-77, I consider it a replacement model. Just two significant differences, other than colour, MP-66 is headlight as opposed to Headheavy in MP-77. And MP-66 is flexible as opposed to a stiff MP-77.

Headlight = easier and faster control, faster shots, more comfort to the wrist.
    Headheavy = Slower, slightly harder to maneuver for defece/netshots, but much more power in swings.

Flexible = Easier to bring out racquets power.
    Stiff = Harder to bring out racquets power, requires more speed and strength in swings, but more power and stronger hits when flexed correctly. Most racquets follow this rule of thumb, except the really cheap ones, such as steel racquets for example.

I don't know what your style of play is, ie. defence or offense, but seeing as you're at least a low intermediate, most likely much better :rolleyes: , I suggest MP-66, MP-77 (if you can find one), MP-99, AT-500, CAB30-MS, or AT-800DE(if you have the funds). Other racquets may be hard to use for someone not perfect at badminton, or may break a lot easier in clashes and miss hits.

I might suggest MP-88, as it is somewhat flexible, perhaps lightest Yonex has to offer, and overall, a quick light racquet. It has great power and speed(in my opinion, more power than MP-66), but not as much compared to other Yonex racquets.

MP-66 is headlight, flexible, not as easy to break as others, the best suggestion I can give, for its price. I recommend it strongly at your level, or at least the level I percieve you're at.

MP-77 if you can find one, much like MP-66, but stiffer, headheavy, and a little more heavy (not by much). I'd say its a little (a little) more powerful than MP-66, and would be more offensive than MP-66, though both deliver great power. Find a nice one at a nice price, and it will serve you well.

MP-99 is one of Yonex's best sellers. It is considered a balanced racquet (not head-shaft balanced), but a really good racquet, it has no weakspots. Though it does not excel at any particular area of play, It is weak nowhere, and can deliver very many types of play with great power (I find it more powerful than MP-66,77,88). It is a stiff racquet. It is also pretty easy to use, it doesn't break as easy as other racquets in its range, not saying that it won't break ;) . Only downside, is its price, if price is not a concern, go with MP-99, or AT-800DE.

AT-500 is cheaper than MP-99, about same price as MP-88, and is headheavy. It is a little stiff, and can bring out really good power(maybe more than MP 66, 77, 88), not much else I can say about it, except maybe it feels nice?

AT-800DE is much like MP-99 since it is easy to use and balanced. Only it is slightly newer (by one year?), and while MP-99 is stiff, AT-800DE is extremely flexible. That doesn't mean that it is weak however, as this flexible racquet is pretty darn strong, one of the strongest in the current Yonex line.

CAB-30MS is also a very popular choice for those getting serious into badminton, and wanting a racquet cheaper than the high end Yonex ones. It is an oval head racquet, meaning smaller sweetspot, but generally, more power generated. It is a stiff racquet, but surprisingly, not very hard to use. It can generate power that rivals that of offensive racquets. Often 30% cheaper than other Yonex racquets too, a must have for oval-head lovers, and just plain good for its power, and price. I guess this is more of an offensive racquet, but it can do equally well defensively as well.

Well that pretty much sums up what I have to say, most racquets described here are balanced ones, slightly defensive ones, or light fast ones. Offensive racquets include Ti-10, AT-700, AT-800OF, and MP-100. These racquets are generally pretty expensive, and are very headheavy, very stiff, or have a small sweetspot, so not recommended for that not perfect at badminton. But are some of Yonex's most powerful, and offensive racquets. If you're interested in these offensive racquets, just ask, and I'll tell ya what I know about em ;)

4. Eternal_Monk

Eternal_Monk Regular Member

Student
    wow

thanks a lot midget_boy, you helped a lot. :D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Can't thank you enough

5. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    if you are still an improving player then from yonex i would suggest either an armortec 500 or a muscle power 66.