User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CKsweden
    Hi there!
    Well I have been reading your mess, I wonder if you are satisfied with your Flex 740, cause I might buy one of this. from eagnes, also buy some xtra badminton clamps, so any suggestions of extra tools I can order from them.

this is my first machine, I just want to hear your thougts.

Thnx
    I wouldn't say I was in any kind of mess. What I described was the modification of my flex740 to use single action badminton clamps. I did a fair amout of research when I was contemplating purchasing a stringing machine. With tons of help from this forum, I settled on the flex740 as the best price for the features. There have been lots of people who have had bad experiences with Eagnas but I was not one of them. I may have just been lucky. My machine came and worked great right out of the box. Assembly took just minutes and it was pretty accurate based on my digital fish scale. All in all, I found the machine more solid that I thought it would be and I would recommend it. Your mileage may vary as I received an email from someone who bought a flex740 and found that the pivoting mechanism was bent or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryeung
    I wouldn't say I was in any kind of mess.
    I think that was short for message

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ryeung, I am wondering how your glide bar system is working out. Can you update us by posting photos of actual string job in progress?
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 04-07-2007 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I figured a way to install two swivel fixed clamps onto the ST-200 and ST-250. The process involves a fair bit of machining of steel, nuts, bolts and maybe wielding. More details will come later.

I just posted a picture of the Hasegawa HS-1200 stringing machine that has very simple tracks for the swivel clamp bases to run on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 04-08-2007 at 12:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete, are you thinking of buying a cranky?

sinner....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    ryeung, I am wondering how your glide bar system is working out. Can you update us by posting photos of actual string job in progress?
    The glide bars work better than the fixed clamps that came with the machine. It has some movement when the tensioner is released but not much. It took a bit of getting used to but after that it was fine. I added clamps at the head and throat positions as for some reason the racket went sideways once when I was pulling close to the head and scared the c**p out of me. Not sure what happened there but I added the clamps just in case. Probably doesn't hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I did for once . I just want to find out how good the Eagnas ST-250's six-point supports are. I I am thinking of modifying it later by screwing an/or wielding on a double-track metal plate like the Hasegawa HS-1200 in order to install two fixed clamps. But before that, I will incorporate the Stringway drop-weight tensioner to the ST-200 via a common metal base plate.

Don't worry. I haven't betrayed the cause .

Note: I think the Eagnas ST-200 is easier to to modify than the ST-250.

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    Pete, are you thinking of buying a cranky?

sinner....
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 04-09-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do you find the stringbed tighter when you use the glide-bar clamps than the swivel clamps? How much movement in mm are you talking about ?

How much sideway movements are you talking about? Neil and others who have six-point suspension machines have had similar experience with the sideway movement.

Do you find the glide-bar system faster than the swivel-clamp system? Lots of big shops still use the Prince Neo 1000. The pros string bloody fast with the glide-bar system.

I notice that the straight column support posts don't go with the glide bar. As you mentioned earlier, you can not clamp close to the frame when you do the main strings.

The glide bars work better than the fixed clamps that came with the machine. It has some movement when the tensioner is released but not much. It took a bit of getting used to but after that it was fine. I added clamps at the head and throat positions as for some reason the racket went sideways once when I was pulling close to the head and scared the c**p out of me. Not sure what happened there but I added the clamps just in case. Probably doesn't hurt.
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 04-09-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think the M-140 can be modified with a similar technique: one plate with double track sticking out on both sides. We just need a metal cutting, drilling and milling machine .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you find the stringbed tighter when you use the glide-bar clamps than the swivel clamps? How much movement in mm are you talking about ?

How much sideway movements are you talking about? Neil and others who have six-point suspension machines have had similar experience with the sideway movement.

Do you find the glide-bar system faster than the swivel-clamp system? Lots of big shops still use the Prince Neo 1000. The pros string bloody fast with the glide-bar system.

I notice that the straight column support posts don't go with the glide bar. As you mentioned earlier, you can not clamp close to the frame when you do the main strings.
    I am guessing that the glide bar will give a slightly tighter string bed, because there is less play. The clamps pull back maybe half a mm? The clamp sorta rocks a little, it does not slide along the bar at all. If I remember correctly, the fixed clamps will rock a little beacuse of the play in the holder and also rotate a little. It's not a lot but more than the glide bar.

The sliding of the frame was not really a slide. More like a rotation. I seem to remember it was quite a bit. I was able to pull it back but it wasn't pretty. Now I clamp both top and bottom down.

I would say that the glide bars are a little faster. I'm pretty slow at the best of times but I find esp when doing the crosses that it is more convenient as I only need one clamp. It takes a bit to put the clamps on the slide because of the close tolerance when I have to reposition it. As far as how close it will clamp to the frame, it's not bad. If the end supports overhung more then I could've made the clamp tracks longer. You need different clamps for the glide bars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

0.5 - 1.0 mm is very good already!

What kind of clamps are you using to hold the head and throat?

I am guessing that the glide bar will give a slightly tighter string bed, because there is less play. The clamps pull back maybe half a mm? The clamp sorta rocks a little, it does not slide along the bar at all. If I remember correctly, the fixed clamps will rock a little beacuse of the play in the holder and also rotate a little. It's not a lot but more than the glide bar.

The sliding of the frame was not really a slide. More like a rotation. I seem to remember it was quite a bit. I was able to pull it back but it wasn't pretty. Now I clamp both top and bottom down.

I would say that the glide bars are a little faster. I'm pretty slow at the best of times but I find esp when doing the crosses that it is more convenient as I only need one clamp. It takes a bit to put the clamps on the slide because of the close tolerance when I have to reposition it. As far as how close it will clamp to the frame, it's not bad. If the end supports overhung more then I could've made the clamp tracks longer. You need different clamps for the glide bars.
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 04-09-2007 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess you talked to Mark and are abandoning the Alpha modification? Or are you looking at alternatives while you wait till Alpha gets their shipment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ryeung,

Thanks to cooler, I get an idea. You can use two angled column posts (circled in the picture). With the two angled column posts, your glide-bar system will fit perfectly. I wonder if Eagnas sells individual-machine parts.

BTW, this Eagnas setup come close to being perfect for badminton, but the side supports suck and you can't clamp close to the frame near the head.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 04-09-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Actually, I will get the Pioneer DC Plus too . I just can't get my hands off a drop-weight system. And I will also modify it by incorporating the Stringway drop-weight tensioner.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthHowie
    I guess you talked to Mark and are abandoning the Alpha modification? Or are you looking at alternatives while you wait till Alpha gets their shipment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I did was to thread the top of the 2 end posts. Then I just made a couple of blocks out of oak and a knob to tighten down the blocks. I also had to make a block out of plexiglass to hold the end adjustment knobs so the end posts cannot move in or out. Seems to work ok. For some reason, it seems that adding 10% to the crosses do not seem to be enough and the frame seems slightly shortened (by maybe 1 mm). Don't recall that happening before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryeung,

Thanks to cooler, I get an idea. You can use two angled column posts (circled in the picture). With the two angled column posts, your glide-bar system will fit perfectly. I wonder if Eagnas sells individual-machine parts.

BTW, this Eagnas setup come close to being perfect for badminton, but the side supports suck and you can't clamp close to the frame near the head.
    I don't know if they sell replacement parts. They might if you know the part number. They are not the easiest to deal with on the phone although to be honest I have not had any problems with them. When I ordered the glide bar clamps they asked me what they were for and I told them I was mddfying the 740. They made it plain that I could not return them if they did not work and of course I had no problem with that.
    Worst case is the clamps are about 1" away from the frame and I'm happy with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow, that sounds quite a job. Please take photos for us .

Master Dan doesn't have the shortening and widening problem as you described. Did you mount the side supports correctly? Are the side supports in contact with the frame square on without any space?

What I did was to thread the top of the 2 end posts. Then I just made a couple of blocks out of oak and a knob to tighten down the blocks. I also had to make a block out of plexiglass to hold the end adjustment knobs so the end posts cannot move in or out. Seems to work ok. For some reason, it seems that adding 10% to the crosses do not seem to be enough and the frame seems slightly shortened (by maybe 1 mm). Don't recall that happening before.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast