Price discrimination against American racquet???

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by HoustonRockets, Oct 28, 2005.

1. HoustonRockets

HoustonRockets Regular Member

hi guys,
    I m just wondering why Yonex sell Artmotec700 in China is Cheaper than in America, it s about $80 USD difference. Are they make out of the same materials?

any comments?
    :)

2. ymerej

ymerej Regular Member

I kinda don't trust buying a racket from China, they are sooo good at producing fakes that the probability of getting a fake racket is very high. Maybe thats why the price is so low over there. Either that or America has a high import tax to suck away you money. hehe So now you have a choice of paying the premium for a lower probability of getting a fake racket in the US or taking the gamble for a lower cost but higher probability of getting a fake Yonex racket from China.

3. HoustonRockets

http://www.bbeshop.com/ this is the Chinese online store that I referred to. I think its been there for a while. I mean it has some credibilites. Import tax to a developed country should be cheaper than to a developing country..... anyhow.......still kinda confused

4. ymerej

ymerej Regular Member

Maybe, in China since there are so many producers of rackets and fake rackets that Yonex China has to lower their prices just to compete. Whereas in the US maybe, there are not as many local racket producers or fake rackets circulating so Yonex USA can still maintain Monopoly control over the domestic US badminton market and jack up super high prices.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It's not "Rocket" :) science....

a) Closer to Japan, would probably men less shipping cost.
    b) bigger market.. Lots more badminton-players in China Than US, so larger volumes.. translates to lesser price...
    c) Generally lower costs on labour, localities, transportation etc.. So both peoples ability to pay will be lower and also the cost of distribution, marketing and sales will be lower in China...
    d) More competition of other domestic, less expensive alternatives.

everything contributing to lower overall prices in China compared to US...

/Twobeer

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Fine, we do pay say, 125% when it comes to badminton shopping. What about a US HS student who works in Burger King, can make more than a full time senior engineer in CHN?

The living cost / standard is different, means in US, there's much more investment to consider when compare to CHN (labor, rent, utility, insurance, etc). So, you make more, you pay more. If the other way around, everyone will do business just in 1 nation, instead of world wide.

7. HoustonRockets

you guys are taking me back to my econ class:p

I agree with u

8. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Well Korea which is closer to Japan than China or any other country for that matter has rackets whoose prices are very similar to Canadian prices. an 80$ US dollar difference is quite large.

I support the argument that Yonex is competing with other companies and thus they ahve to lower the price.

P.S. "its not 'rocket' science" ... reminds me of my old teacher the "punner"

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. With the processing cycle, I think the shipping charge could be minimized, when compare to a lot of other factors. The cost / standard of living and duty tax might be much more considerable.

2. I think Yonex's marketing strategy is fine, at least up to today. They established themselves as the "higher class" and "professional" standard. Of course, more and more manufactures step into the market and try to take a share, but at least now, Yonex holding it's main share successfully.