User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    (Tan)Eepak stated a few posts down that it was essential to use 4 fly clamps when stringing the mains with a stringing machine that had no fixed clamps.

Well, I tried his suggestion on 4 rackets and though I feel it's not essential, it definitely is better and I will use Eepak's suggestion from now on.

I don't believe there is a significant tension loss using two clamps instead of four because you "make it up" when you pull the next string but Eepak's 4 fly clamp method is definitely more better, minimal tension loss.

The analogy I give is why do something at 90%-92% success when you can do it at 95+% success with minimal extra time spent?

Thanks Eepak!
    Sorry but I couldn't find these instructions to 4 fly clamp stringing. Could someone direct me to it? Thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsun
    Sorry but I couldn't find these instructions to 4 fly clamp stringing. Could someone direct me to it? Thanks!
    For the 4 clamp method, it's just on the main strings, not the cross, the cross strings uses two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normally... as you move along one side of the mains, your clamp will be at the top, then the bottom, and back on top... instead. have one clamp on the top and one on the bottom for both sides... so 4 clamps. If you want, I can illustrate this for you... you know what... i'll just do it right now =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks dink and fish! just finished my first string job with a drop weight machine. hopefully this will decrease my tension loss... machine set at 29x27lbs, but felt like 25x23lbs after strung...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fishmilk
    Normally... as you move along one side of the mains, your clamp will be at the top, then the bottom, and back on top... instead. have one clamp on the top and one on the bottom for both sides... so 4 clamps. If you want, I can illustrate this for you... you know what... i'll just do it right now =)

WOW! very nice depiction of a AT700!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks dink and fish! just finished my first string job with a drop weight machine. hopefully this will decrease my tension loss... machine set at 29x27lbs, but felt like 25x23lbs after strung...
    You mean 27/29lbs. right? You did 27lbs. for the main and 29lbs. for the cross, yes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean 27/29lbs. right? You did 27lbs. for the main and 29lbs. for the cross, yes?
    yes you're right. sorry my mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you comparing this to a 25lb stringjob from a professional stringer? Machines make huge differences. Electronic machines string a bit tighter...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fishmilk, are you comparing your machine (no fixed clamps) to an electronic machine?

Are you comparing this to a 25lb stringjob from a professional stringer? Machines make huge differences. Electronic machines string a bit tighter...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried this. and honestly..what does it matter? the second clamp just sits there.

I thought it was liek this: a second clamp pushign against the first. so the first clamp doesn't 'slip' or lets the string get a little looser.
    No in-game effect. but tension remains good.

as you (hopefully see) clamp one clamps the freshly tensioned main and the 2e cross. clamp to sits against clamp 1 on the 2e and 3e mains

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    I tried this. and honestly..what does it matter? the second clamp just sits there.
    It absolutely matters/works, especially at higher tension. At lower tension, not as significant. Get some string that is multi-colored, like the Ashaway Power Green and you'll see the string move, the differences between 1 and 2 clamps. It's significant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It absolutely matters/works, especially at higher tension. At lower tension, not as significant. Get some string that is multi-colored, like the Ashaway Power Green and you'll see the string move, the differences between 1 and 2 clamps. It's significant.
    but I don;t string 28lbs (yet ) but wouldn't my method work better? it's also how he described you shoudl do the crosses

it's hard to explain, but when you tension a string and clamp it. and take of the tensioner. you see the clamp getting pulled inwards. and if you put that second clamp in it's really not there anymore. though it's still there with the fishmilk-method....

btw, I thought you have fixed, right?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to go play BAD now so I can't reply in detail. But a few quick answers:

1) When I do the main strings, I use two clamps in-line.

2) When I do the cross strings, I have two clamps in-line and a third clamps on the previous cross.

3) Yes I have a fixed clamps but I only use them on the tie-offs. I feel the multi-fly clamp method works just fine for everything else and is much faster.

Case and point: I have never strung a racket where a person thinks the tension is loose. In fact, when I string at 25lbs. people think it's 28-29lbs. When I string at 28-29lbs. people think it's 32-34lbs.

One day I will do a post on exactly how I string. I think it's adequate.

but I don;t string 28lbs (yet ) but wouldn't my method work better? it's also how he described you shoudl do the crosses

it's hard to explain, but when you tension a string and clamp it. and take of the tensioner. you see the clamp getting pulled inwards. and if you put that second clamp in it's really not there anymore. though it's still there with the fishmilk-method....

btw, I thought you have fixed, right?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was liek this: a second clamp pushign against the first. so the first clamp doesn't 'slip' or lets the string get a little looser.
    No in-game effect. but tension remains good.

as you (hopefully see) clamp one clamps the freshly tensioned main and the 2e cross. clamp to sits against clamp 1 on the 2e and 3e mains
    This arrangement is what I mean-the two clamps must be close to each other. The picturs that Jerby shows has the 2 clamps separated, which is bad as it will lose tension.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    This arrangement is what I mean-the two clamps must be close to each other. The picturs that Jerby shows has the 2 clamps separated, which is bad as it will lose tension.
    Sorry about mixing up the names. The earlier picture by Fishmilk is not the correct procedure I advocated. The later one by Jerby is the right one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good to hear.

I'm still wondering what Fishmilks method would change...

and Dink: that would be great! and why use two clamps in a row on the crosses, and then a third on the 2e and 3e? what's the use of the second?

why not use fixed clamos with a flying backing it up? 100% accuracy

one thign though, I strung a regualr customers racket. usually it's white bg65 at 23lbs. now did a blue string (still bg65) but strung each strign seperatly and with 2 clamps. he said he thought the blue bg65 was a lot stiffer than teh white one....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought taneepak meant like option B in this picture
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast