User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD
    im just saying the title of having # 1 isn't the greatest achievement in the badminton world, it just means your country can send you to every tourney
    I would like to add that, in the past 52 weeks, the current #1 Lin Dan, took part in exactly 10 tournaments (including the Sudirman Cup). Now, that's not too many. It does not give him any room for error. In fact, I prefer if top badminton players play on average once per month.

In that 9 individual events, he won four: the China Open, China Masters, Japan Open and German Open, came second in three: World Champs, All-England and Malaysia Open, and made semis in the other two: Indonesia and Singapore.

Granted, there's contention that the China Masters lack top participation, but you cannot lay the same claim on the other events he took part in (except German Open, but he did not get much points from it being a lower-tier tournament: he still had to beat Xia, Bao and Hafiz for the title though).

The world ranked #2, Kenneth is about a massive 8,000 points away.

The only other man who can lay claim to being the best is Taufik and he is two tournaments short of Lin Dan. He is almost 11,000 points away from Lin Dan. And the fact is this, even if he maximises his points for that two remaining events (two wins in two 6* events - there are no other 7* events besides the WC), he will come just short of overhauling Lin Dan.

Taufik's record (not including Sudirman Cup)
    Win 3 - World Champs, Singapore 2005, Indonesia 2004.
    Semis 2 - China, Japan.
    Quarters 1 - Malaysia.
    R16 1 - Indonesia 2005.
    Not counting towards ranking: Withdrew from Singapore 2004, Copenhagen Masters 2004.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hcyong
    The only other man who can lay claim to being the best is Taufik
    Just my 2 cents.

Actually these arguments because only 1 man, if you take that man out, anyone will still question whether LD is real number one or not?

so end up become comparisons between LD vs TH, which already been discussed in so many in the other threads
    And then why people keep comparing LD and TH or question "real" number one?
    see below

Quote Originally Posted by hcyong
    Taufik's record (not including Sudirman Cup)
    Win 3 - World Champs, Singapore 2005, Indonesia 2004.
    1. The 3 wins happened by beating LD in the final (WC)/in s-final (Sing, Indo).
    2. So far, TH has better record against LD
    3. TH won recent OG and WC (most prestigious tournaments)

I couldn't more agree that we can't just bash LD down because of that. In the future if LD can reverse those facts, I believe nobody will question about that.

As S4MadMan said, LD = # 1 player in the world based on the world rankings point system. That is fact, so you can't change it, no point arguing on that.

Everything else is subjective. That's why so many pros and cons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My point is more about people bashing LD by also bashing the ranking system, saying things like players taking part in a lot of tournaments have a huge advantage. Somehow to them, the ranking system is wrong because it made LD as #1. That was why I listed the events and the results, hopefully it will do the ranking system some justice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eskey
    As S4MadMan said, LD = # 1 player in the world based on the world rankings point system. That is fact, so you can't change it, no point arguing on that.

Everything else is subjective. That's why so many pros and cons
    Yep, if some are not satisfied, go argue with the IBF, the recognized authority in the world badminton realm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HCYong, I am with ya! Frankly , i am quite new to this forum, but the animosity that some people here hold against LinDan is strinking to me. If he wins, oh, it is merely the result of his better physical fitness and other player(s)' absence/lack of motivation; if he loses, see, it proves that he is not that great! on the contrary, God forbid, if other player(s) loses, oh, it is only because he(they) do not WANT to win! give me a break! this is professional sport, one needs a whole package: technique, physical fitness, mental strength, determination, etc.
    there is nothing wrong being somebody's fans and having preference, but non-stop bashing does not bring superiority and glory to your hero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trance
    Everytime people mention Lin Dan, they of course usually mention his number 1 status. But then at the same time, we have the LD bashers who enter into topics and promote Gade or Taufik. Now, although there is no problem with this, they always end up bashing LD by saying things such as LD is not as good as Gade or Taufik just because his technique is not as good. Or, they will say that LD wins because he has more stamina/endurance and that his number 1 status means nothing.

Honestly, you truly believe World #1 Status means nothing? LD's stamina/endurance carries him through the game and if he is more fit than others, then that is an advantage to him, not just one of those things you can use to bash him down. It's equivalent to comparing anything else in the world and claiming that one is better than the other even though that other is ranked the best.

Yes, I know people have their opinions, and they also believe that other player's tactics or techniques may be better than LD. Yes, it is perfectly ok to make constructive criticism to say that he could improve on an aspect or say that he is not as keen on certain techniques as someone else. But the idea of saying he's not the true #1 and "insert other players name here" is better because his "whatever" is better is not true sportsmanship.

All in all, people should rethink their comments on saying "Oh, LD is not the true number 1 because he just lasts longer than his opponents" or some other comment that demotes his rank as #1. For to obtain that status implies that all other qualities are included.

Yeahyeah, go nitpick at the structure of my sentences to say that I'm not being fair or objective or some other comment to bash my post. But my point was merely to bring up the fact that it is all relative comparisons.

Come'on,y so care about wat ppl said??Dun take it so serious...LD is the best now,no can can deny it,but LD's techniques n skills r not as good as Gade's n Taufik's is also a fact.There sure got some reasons y the ppp said like tat.Do u really think tat LD is best in all kind?

Let me speak as a middle 1...I'm big fan of Sun Jun,I always watch him plays very long time ago,so just say I have no love wif LD,Taufik or Gade(I suppose hate him cuz he is achrival to Sun Jun).Let see,if u compare the badminton now n the past,u'll see there's a gap,now is not as compatative as before,yesterdays there have DongJiong, SunJun,XuenZe,ChenHong, Hendrawan,FungPermadi,ChoongHan Taufik, Mainaky, Arbi, HoyerLarsen,Gade n some tat can make big upset.They all r in the same level,can u imagine how compatative is it?But now,there r only LD,BCL,ChongWei,Taufik,Sony or maybe Gade.Even BCL,Sony n ChongWei still a bit lack behind.U can even guess who will win.

SO consider wat Gade has done n achieve in d past decade,sometimes he really impressed me,his skills n speed r just astonishing.But his lack of mentally fitness made him always shorts of expectation,tat's y he only manage finish as finalist n semi finalist in WC n Olympic.The fate also made a great joke to him as he suffer a serious injuries when he just 25(a year which is golden year for a player as they become mature).U c,untill now(still able plays n give great challenge to the young players) still got ppl always mention Gade,he is simply the best,at all time.Even SunJun is world champion b4,now not many ppl remember him.....Aiks....

LD also doing well todays,I really like his fighting spirit,tat's make hold an advantge over other players.Technique not good nvm,it can be learn,it'll will become better over the years.Taufik is such a talent,he start playing when he is just 17(not in junior level).After many years as he grow mature in both mind n technique n yet still very young,he is very dangeroues to LD.

Every players r special,some ppl said LD is not as good as Taukik n Gade this may bcoz of Gade n Taufik had played for a long time n three of them play in different "world".Just like I said ,the badminton quality now really cant match wif b4.So,LD is the best now,but still not so convincing,he still need to prove himself.

#My english very poor,hope u all understand...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy, too me i think that is unfair to Lin Dan. If your say that he not good compare to other player.. by saying his technique is not better than other player.. okie.. i accept that.. but if you are say that he win other just becoz he is fitter physical and more endurance.. it totally lame.. in badminton our training include technique and fitness and endurance.. it just that Lin Dan choose to train more on fitness and endurance.. to compensate on his weak area.. Who is born out to be ALREADY fitness.. NO ONE... IT all hardwork and endurance.. and as you train your fitness you train your endurance too.. IS THERE ANYHING WRONG WITH THAT?? After all i still think that he is a more complete player compare to other..

And in badminton, it doesnt mean that if taufik manage to win Lin Dan, taufik is still not the best.. or number one.. coz somehow the mental stress you get when you face with different player.. and i believe all badminton player has came across with it..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wonder if Lin dan knows this BC site...

he'll be upset to see so many posts againts him

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taufik-ist
    i wonder if Lin dan knows this BC site...

he'll be upset to see so many posts againts him
    seeing as they mostly come from taufik fans, im sure he won't be too bothered

seriously tho, a professional athlete should really not be too put off by comments from a internet forum....

but if he is reading this thread...
    please..
    1 improve your net play
    2 improve your deception
    3 improve your backhand so u don't have to cover it so much
    4 dont lose concentration and play around in the match
    5 jia you in 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not really a Lin Dan fan. but the fact that he's ranked one is absolute and undeniable....

but i just fancy Gade more..i like his style of play...there's nothign wrong with an opinion....

saying LD is better "because fo his stamina" is foolish...lame excuse

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by other
    please..
    1 improve your net play
    2 improve your deception
    5 jia you in 2006
    soft bashing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taufik-ist
    soft bashing
    huh? what is soft bashing?

in my book what i said would count as constructuve criticism and encouragement (well that's how i meant it)
    obviously he has professionals to do that for him, but that was just my opinion on his weaknesses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by other
    seeing as they mostly come from taufik fans, im sure he won't be too bothered

seriously tho, a professional athlete should really not be too put off by comments from a internet forum....

please..
    1 improve your net play
    2 improve your deception
    5 jia you in 2006
    His net play is somehow already very good but ppl tend to always compare him with Taufik so... not fair.

If you carefully watch how he hit the bird, you will realize how his shots are deceptive and his speed can cover his backhand. I don't see why covering more court while hitting the bird is more advantageous than using a backhand especially when Lin has a lot of stamina.

Agree in the 4th and 5th point though

Lin is a great player!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More often than not I have seen Taufik destroy Lin at the net duals....but who doesn't get killed by Taufik at net anyways (gade perhaps)??
    I think the problem with his net skills is that they're not consistent, I watched some games where he was really sharp (denmark open 04 final vs xia) and some other games he was just not getting it over.

About the deception part, Lin has pulled off some of the most deceptive shots I've ever seen and there are many instances where Lin litterally wrongfoots his opponents in many games so I dont know where this comes from...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brave_Turtle
    His net play is somehow already very good but ppl tend to always compare him with Taufik so... not fair.

If you carefully watch how he hit the bird, you will realize how his shots are deceptive and his speed can cover his backhand. I don't see why covering more court while hitting the bird is more advantageous than using a backhand especially when Lin has a lot of stamina.
    well, surely as a top professional, you need to compare with those better than u to find faults and things to improve? I'm not saying his net shots are crap, but that is a part of his play that would greatly help him if it was improved. From what i remember (i'm not expert), many of his netshots just involve getting it back over straight. he does not seem to be able to play consistent deceptive cross court nets-or doesn't like to anyway.

mmm i guess i meant to try and work some BCL type deceptive slices, drops and half smashes into his game as well. obviously he doesn't have the height to get the same angles, but its a thought.

Lin indeed has lots of stamina....but a stronger backhand *may* result in easier recovery after a shot, rather than a round-the-head for example. He does seem to be playing a lot of 3 setters (or as others adapt to his style, he will end up playing more 3 sets) and for big tournaments with good opponents, he needs to save energy is possible without compromising winning.

LD has been seen to wrong foot his opponents but usually from the net by faking shots. i'd love to see some deceptive slices from the backcourt that leave opponents stranded.

haha...alright...no one can be perfect just some comments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but saying that LD is best because of the current ranking point system and TH has won the WC and OC and they are more prestigious, then aren't we again basing it on the current point ranking system?

In my opinion, a clear comparison is how many tournaments either has won over the past year. That will show more consistency rather than who won the most important tournament.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trance
    In my opinion, a clear comparison is how many tournaments either has won over the past year. That will show more consistency rather than who won the most important tournament.
    Taufik is ahead...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast