Chong Wei seeks boost before heading to Manila

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open / China Open / Chinese Taipei Open ' started by ants, Oct 30, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    30th OCt 05
    TheStar

PETALING JAYA: National number one Lee Chong Wei will make a bid to secure a timely confidence boost ahead of his SEA Games challenge when he competes in the Hong Kong Open badminton championships on Wednesday.

The six-star tournament will be Chong Wei's last before leading the country's challenge for honours in the SEA Games, which will be held in Manila from Nov 27-Dec 5.

And he is looking to maintain his form going into the SEA Games. Chong Wei, who is riding high after winning the Denmark Open singles crown last week and climbing to third in the new world rankings, said he hopes to win a place in the semi-finals in Hong Kong.

“I am currently the world number three and I hope to maintain my position.

“The Hong Kong Open is also a good test for the SEA Games because I could possibly meet Indonesia's Taufik Hidayat in the quarter-finals. I am ready to face him,” said the Penang-born shuttler, who is the first Malaysian to win the singles title in Denmark since Tan Aik Huang in 1966.

It was Taufik who crushed Chong Wei's title aspirations winning 15-3, 15-12 in the semi-finals of the World Championships in Anaheim in August.

However, the world championships bronze medallist is not thinking of revenge. Taufik is expected to play Malaysia's Wong Choong Hann in the third round in Hong Kong.

“I do not want to put pressure on myself. Our encounters have always been close and I believe I have a chance. Even if I lose, I will not go down without a fight,” said Chong Wei, who also defeated the Indonesian world and Olympic champion 15-5, 15-0 en route to retaining his Malaysian Open title in July.

Taufik has been included in Indonesia's squad for the SEA Games but he is only playing in the team event.

It will certainly give Chong Wei an early psychological boost if he can beat Taufik in Hong Kong, as both are expected to play the first singles for their respective countries in the SEA Games.

Chong Wei is not competing in the China and Taiwan Opens next month because he will be preparing for the SEA Games.

“My aim is to win the individual gold medal in the SEA Games and I will concentrate on preparing for the challenge.

“I will be happy if I can reach the semi-finals in Hong Kong because it is a tough field,” said Chong Wei, who is coached by China-born Li Mao.