Where to hold racket handle....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Boy@n, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Boy@n

Boy@n Regular Member

I searched these forums a bit, but couldn't find any topic on this, and it does seem important to me, let me know your experience....

Where are you all holding your handle? More to the bottom, in middle, or more to the top? I guess that position can drastically change the play... Perhaps more than declarations of racket producers which label rackets flexibility with stiffness...

The higher you hold the handle the stiffer it will be right? The lower, the more flexible.... I'll surely experiment with this when I get on court... Just wondering if anyone else paid attention to this and what are your conclusions?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

A long grip -- where you hold the racket towards the bottom of the handle -- will provide the most power (when used with a full swing).

A short grip -- where you hold the racket near where the handle joins the shaft -- will allow sharper racket movements and quicker reactions.

Consequently, a long grip is typically used in the rearcourt for power on smashes. A short grip is typically used in the midcourt and forecourt, where quick responses and a short racket swing are needed. When you use a short racket swing, a short grip will normally provide more power than a long grip.

A long grip also offers slightly better reach.

Short grips are more frequently used in doubles, and long grips more frequently in singles.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

do a search for "long grip"
    include the quotes in the search
    you could also search for "short grip"

4. Boy@n

Boy@n Regular Member

thanks for info! i didn't know the proper term for this....

yes, makes perfect sense to change the grip during game itself...
    for serve short grip and hitting ball at first four strings on top of the head.
    for smashes long grip, but for smashes which are not smashes again short
    grip, putting ball just over the net while opponent expects strong smash.
    similarly when at the net... short grip for cutting/short shuttle, long grip
    when tricking opponent in short hit but then hitting it to base line....
    middle grip would be for fast game at the net hitting opp directly...
    etc. will search for more now... kewl to discover badminto like this :eek:

5. j_e_thompson

j_e_thompson Regular Member

Software Engineer
  6. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    For backcourt stuff you definitely want to hold it far down the handle. For fast paced action such as drives, you want to hold it up at the cone with your thumb and index finger gripping onto the shaft (ideally speaking, but holding it up towards the cone is good if you're not used to holding it that high). For the front court, it really depends... my coach told me it's how you feel yourself. He said people with big hands can hold it anywhere they want and still get the same effect, especially since the handle itself gives a better feel of rotation with your fingers. Most people (including myself) hold it up more towards the cone to get better control. Hope that helps. :D

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I think that holding the racket with your index finger and thumb on the shaft is a bad idea. This is likely to restrict your forearm and wrist movement, as with most finger-extending grips.

Up on the cone, fine. But not the shaft itself, unless you fancy yourself as the next Sigit Budiarto :D

8. Gade.Fan

Gade.Fan Regular Member

Student
    I use the long grip, because im more of the offensive and smashing type, but for baskhand doubles serves, i prefer holding all the way up to the cone.

9. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    I hold my racquet fairly high at around the cone level. I just love how much more control I have as well as the ability to return drives more quickly.

10. jalova

jalova New Member

student
    Am I really at a disadvantage if hold the racquet handle high in singles? I feel uncomfortable in most circumstances when I hold the grip low. I notice I get much more control and I can swing the racquet faster. I've seen singles pros like Boonsak Ponsana holding almost on the shaft, and Lin Dan holds high as well, and it seems to work for him.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You will certainly be at a disadvantage if you use this for smashes. For many other strokes, however, a short grip can be very effective.

12. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    I follow a simple idea. The farther I am from the net, the farther away my grip from the cone. Helps generate power and increases reach.

When I serve, I choke the cone. Ti-10 Long user here with backhand short serve - usually doubles.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You sure? There are more than 1 pics to show that Lin Dan NOT even put any grip on the top 1/3 of handle, in order to force himself to hold grip more toward bottom half. ;)

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

bad examples.....
    even *the great Lin dan* has flaws..this is the most aparent. teh laws of physics aply to him as well....a longer racket gives more swing. that's a easy as it is..

15. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

he changed from more short to more long grip.