How does the US badminton system work?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by UkPlayer, Mar 8, 2002.

1. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I had a look at some clubs and information on the Web.

I notice there are different grades of players at each tournaments.

How do the grades work? How does one get promoted from say C to B grade? Does everyone start at D grade?

I also noticed that in some of the tournaments that it seems some of the nationally ranked players play against some of the club standard players in the early rounds of the tournaments? Is this right? Does this happen?

If anyone can explain how the US badminton system works I'd be grateful. The tournaments seem to be wide open to begginners which is excellent.

UKP

2. zic

zic Guest

hmm im not too sure..but recently there was a tournament at standford and my friends played there, i dunno exactly how they rank you but i dont think you start from d and work your way up. its some sort of qualification and you just get in that class..one of my friends was in d and my other one started out in b.

3. author

author Guest

When you sign up for the tournament you choose, which flight or flights you play. If you are a national team player then you would obviously play A's. At the same time there is huge gap in the A level since you have former Chinese national team players and people just good enough to win B's playing A's. Since you choose your flight the tournament director will usually bump you up if they feel you are playing a flight too low for you ability(sand bagging), but this is all discretionary.

4. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

Is it so different for us, UKPlayer? English Satellite tournaments are open for anyone to enter. What we lack is sufficient people wishing to enter the ranking events. If more people played the Satellites then a US style grading system could be employed.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    In the English system, does a player losing in the first round get to play another match as consolation? Or would the situation result in lots of hard effort travelling for only one match?